Lirc with devinput remote woes..
Hi all.

For ages now I've been trying to get my remote to work fully with XBMC live. If anyone can offer some advice, I'd really appreciate it. There are many holes in my desk where I've been banging my head against it Angry

Just a quick run-through:

- my remote is connected via a USB dongle

- if I run "irw" from the CLI, it detects all the button presses correctly and displays them on the screen - "KEY_VIDEO", "KEY_SLEEP", etc..

- irw reports that my device is "devinput" - which I believe to be the standard generic Lirc device. As such, I've downloaded the default Lircd.conf.devinput file from the Lirc site and stuck it in /etc/lirc

- from there I created a custom "Lircmap.xml" in the XBMC userdata folder and added my remote (following instructions on XBMC wiki), using device="devinput" as the device name

- I then assumed I'd just need to edit/create an XBMC keymap xml (I tried to ad my remote to the remote.xml and tell it what to do for each button. to test this, I mapped the "back" key to go back (currently my DVD menu key works as "back" and not the correct key). I also mapped the XBMC.shutdown() function (or whatever it's called) to the "power" button. However, when restarting XBMC to test, none of the mapped keys respond. A few of them already worked, but I can't seem to map the remaining ones..

- As an interesting note, if I remove the USB dongle after XBMC is started, and then reinsert it, the back button suddenly works as the back function (compared the the KEY_MENU (dvd menu) button before removing it. When restarting XBMC however, everything is back to normal. ugh, it makes no sense

Basically, Lirc (or at least irw) detects the button presses. But for some reason, XBMC won't see them. I thought I just needed an Lircmap.xml to map the Lirc keys to an XBMC control, and then a keymap xml (I just edited remote.xml) to tell XBMC what to do when it receives these presses.

I must be missing something. Am I right in thinking that so long as irw sees the keypresses, everything should be fine with Lirc? It's as though XBMC doesn't actually see the presses, or that something is overriding the control mappings..

If anyone has any experience they'd be kind enough to share, I'd be very happy. This problem is driving me insane. I've checked all over the web for a possible resolution, and spent hours messing around with various .xml and config files, all to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

Ollie
Hi!

Please post (preferrably at pastebin.com) the contents of your Lircmap.xml, remote.xml and some sample output when you run irw.

Best regards
Christian
if irw shows all keynames, you *only* need a devinput section in your lircmap.

before you change other things:
- look if you have /dev/lircd or /var/run/lirc/lircd
- start xbmc with "--lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd" (replace with your lircd socketfile)

there was a change some time ago from /dev/lircd to /var/run/lirc/lircd to be sure xbmc watches on the proper socket run xbmc with this option.
greetings, Stephan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lirc with devinput remote woes..0