Media on UPnP server not working, mostly
I have xbmc remote on android (htc desire), xbmc running on my laptop, and my media stored on a server running twonkyserver. Media is shared by UPnP.

Everything works fine in xbmc itself.

But if I browse media on xbmc remote, I can see and browse all folders, but any folder containing media only contains a folder with a weird name like 2%2455%123123. Media in the top directory appears normally.
If I enter that folder, it just contains another weird folder named 4%324234%234234. And so on.

Tried also with PS3 Media Server, but exactly the same issue.
As mentioned, everything works as expected in XBMC itself (and PS3, roku, etc)...

anyone else had this issue?
Well looks like I'm alone. Anyway, it works if I use smb instead, so I guess I have to live with that then. It would be nice if non-local media didn't only appear in the folder view though.

Let me just rant for a sec. UPNP is a piece of friggin crap. I am sick of it. It's a great idea to have a standard like this, that any device can be a server, renderer, or control point. Wow. Awesome. Exactly what I want, badly. But I've been trying to convince myself it's working for like 4 years now. But it's just so badly implemented almost everywhere that it's useless. You end up having to resort to alternatives (like in this case) time and time again, so there goes my pathetic attempt to have a single central point for everything with playlists, the ability to use one remote for everything, etc.
The best you can achieve is getting something like a ps3 or roku to play your media (as long as its something they support...pfffttttgrrr), but forget all the nicer features, remotely controlling devices, etc.
Please pastebin a Debug Log when accessing. I have never tried upnp specifically with the remote so can't say if its "normal".
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Thanks for the reply.
I filed a bug, debug log is in there: 11781.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media on UPnP server not working, mostly0