Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Difficulties fast forward/rewinding files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On RPi model B 512mb memory 8gb Sandisk card, using hub with Touro USB hard drive. Connected to TV via A/V and controlled via USB I/R controller, using Openelec 4.95.2 (which is Helix beta).

I'm having issues fast forwarding and rewinding.

If I fast forward, whenever I press play again the video and audio is out of sync. It usually stops and looks like it's frozen but pressing stop does stop the video. If I hit rewind even on full speed it goes back only a couple of seconds at a time.

Here is a copy of my log:
http://pastebin.com/SaWfqQUX

The interesting bit for me is after pressing 'play' after hitting fast forward is a line that says 'unknown position after seek'. I don't know if this is an Openelec or Kodi bug so I'll post details on both forums as well since Helix is still in beta too. Thanks for any advice.
Always post complete logs, don't cut them down. Use xbmclogs.com if it is too big for pastebin.

I don't have this issue, so if you can provide a sample file that shows the problem, it would help.
(2014-11-14, 21:50)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]Always post complete logs, don't cut them down. Use xbmclogs.com if it is too big for pastebin.

I don't have this issue, so if you can provide a sample file that shows the problem, it would help.

I've managed to get a video of this but can't get it uploaded on the sites I'm trying for some reason so might have to show you tomorrow.

I also keep getting 504 timeout on xbmclogs.com but I did notice one line appears that seems wrong:

20:37:45 6581.866211 T:3032478784 INFO: CAESinkALSA - ALSA: /home/stephan/projects/openelec-5.0/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-4.95.2/alsa-lib-1.0.28/src/confmisc.c:392Sadsnd_func_concat) error evaluating strings

That's not my home directory, I'll post over on openelec to see if this could be contributing.
@laptopu

Questions before getting too involved:

1. Is the connected USB drive running from its own power supply or a powered USB hub ?
2. Is your RPi overclocked ?
3. Are you running a proper 2 Amp power supply into the RPi ?
I can't find any paste site that will let me paste a log as big as the one I've got.

I've also had some really bad luck here, tried spending 3 hours getting a simple video online and failed as youtube doesn't like my cameraphone now. So I'm giving up on that.

But yes, the basics are right - got the proper power supply, not overclocked, using powered hub, it's worked fine in Frodo and Gotham but now on Helix we've got a problem.

The reason why I think I'm having a problem and others haven't noticed is possibly because I'm using analogue audio and composite video, not HDMI, so I suspect that may be a contributor.

I'll be honest though, with me spending hours on this problem and no-one else even being able to replicate it, I'm about to chuck my computer the other side of the room, stamp on the Pi, kick the TV and give up. This release is giving me the biggest headache of all releases.
(2014-11-15, 13:16)laptopu Wrote: [ -> ]I can't find any paste site that will let me paste a log as big as the one I've got.
xbmclogs.com seems to be working okay for me (it's not hugely reliable so does fail to work sometimes) and accepts large logs.
Quote:I've also had some really bad luck here, tried spending 3 hours getting a simple video online and failed as youtube doesn't like my cameraphone now. So I'm giving up on that.
No, I don't need a cameraphone recording of the video, I need the original sample video file that shows the problem.
You can normally cut a chunk from the original video file (e.g. with ffmpeg or mkvtoolnix) of about 200MB and check that still exhibits the problem.
If it does then upload the file (e.g. to google drive or dropbox) and give me a link. Uploading a short sample file is normally considered acceptable under "fair use".
Quote:The reason why I think I'm having a problem and others haven't noticed is possibly because I'm using analogue audio and composite video, not HDMI, so I suspect that may be a contributor.
I don't expect the difference between composite or hdmi will affect the issue you are seeing. More likely the specific format of the file.
Quote:I'll be honest though, with me spending hours on this problem and no-one else even being able to replicate it, I'm about to chuck my computer the other side of the room, stamp on the Pi, kick the TV and give up. This release is giving me the biggest headache of all releases.
You are running a beta version. You should stick with the stable release, or accept there may be issues.
Any video exhibits this problem, avi, mp4, online streams - everything is the same.

I've also tried reinstalling it and running out of the box from a totally clean Openelec 4.92.2 beta and the problem's there straight away.

Does that help at all? xbmclogs is having lots of time-outs and 504 errors for me and has been since I tried yesterday.
If you disable omxplayer acceleration (in settings/video/acceleration) does it help?
Yes that makes a huge difference. Playback is a tiny bit impared as a result of disabling it. Rewind is slower than I'd expect but with it enabled rewinding is virtually impossible. Fast forwarding at all speeds normally recovers sync within a couple of seconds. As a downside with the accelaration enabled I could type in a video position and it would hit that point and sync almost instantly, it now takes a few seconds.

What are your thoughts on this result? (And thanks too).
(2014-11-15, 14:38)laptopu Wrote: [ -> ]Yes that makes a huge difference. Playback is a tiny bit impared as a result of disabling it. Rewind is slower than I'd expect but with it enabled rewinding is virtually impossible. Fast forwarding at all speeds normally recovers sync within a couple of seconds. As a downside with the accelaration enabled I could type in a video position and it would hit that point and sync almost instantly, it now takes a few seconds.

What are your thoughts on this result? (And thanks too).

Only Helix dvdplayer (what you get with omxplayer acceleration disabled) performs much better than on Gotham (it is still hardware accelerated).
I personally run with dvdplayer most of the time. Note that for smooth playback, dvdplayer works better with "sync playback to display" enabled.

omxplayer is still required for raw blu-rays as it is a bit more efficient, but otherwise dvdplayer is a perfectly good choice to use (fine for most 1080p content).

Still, omxplayer should work well, so that issue needs fixing. I've been testing some files with omxplayer and have found one file with an issue that may be related.
Rewind seems okay for me, but switching from fast forward to normal playback is sometimes out of sync, so I'll look into that.
Thanks, I'm feeling really relieved now, I was going crazy earlier thinking it had to be something I was doing but now you've been able to replicate the problem that's good, and a fix is great. Really appreciated.
Can you try this Milhouse (nightly) build:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=192380

Hopefully it will fix your audio sync after trickplay issue.
I didn't get chance to try Milhouse's release (blame it on the cracked bathroom toilet which was a pain!) Anyway enough of my domestic miseries, the latest Openelec 4.95.3 has rectified it and with OMplayer enabled it's now fine. Thanks for looking into this.