Kodi Community Forum
Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails (/showthread.php?tid=227586)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - Milhouse - 2015-07-28

Deleting the entire Thumbnails folder and Textures13.db defeats the purpose of the cache, not to mention may result in increased GUI delays and bandwidth usage as artwork is repeatedly re-cached each time Kodi is used after the cache has been cleared.

A selective purging of the cache would be a welcome addition, however.

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - Namoi - 2015-07-28

I agree and i would like to see your script included in kodi (or in an addon ? ) at least with the basic features like prune or force re cache which would solve two of the biggest issues we encounter : growing thumbnail cache size and screwed artworks.

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - kodaxx - 2015-07-31

(2015-07-28, 22:59)Namoi Wrote: I agree and i would like to see your script included in kodi (or in an addon ? ) at least with the basic features like prune or force re cache which would solve two of the biggest issues we encounter : growing thumbnail cache size and screwed artworks.

I already have a basic addon that allows a person to selectively clear Kodi cache, delete thumbs, etc. but I would like to write in a permanent setting into Kodi that would allow a user to set it to a schedule or something...hmm. Still tinkering with the idea. The addon is located here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228075

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - Namoi - 2015-08-01

Yes i saw, but it's in my opinion a little overkill if saying one want to fix just one movie, or purge the actors images only, or...

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - kodaxx - 2015-08-01

(2015-08-01, 08:22)Namoi Wrote: Yes i saw, but it's in my opinion a little overkill if saying one want to fix just one movie, or purge the actors images only, or...

What would you like to see in the addon (or in Kodi core)? I'll see what I can do. I think, as you said, there is two major problems in how Kodi handles cache. Specifically, what would you like to see? I'm sorry if my English is making it difficult to be with the same page.

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - Namoi - 2015-08-01

Well that would be great it you could implement some basic fonctionnalities we have in Texture Maintenance Cache Utility.

- Purge Libray of orpheans thumbs (could be automated on a scheduled basis).
- Force re cache (first delete then re cache) for the whole library, only a section of it (Movies, TV shows, Musics and so on), or on a per movie/TV shows/Artist basis (could be usefull to have this in the context menu in the manage section. It could be great to have force re cache also available via regex to be able to re cache let's say all the star wars movies at once instead of having to do it one by one.

Well this is my personnal needs but some users could have others.

Thanks

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - diontoradan - 2015-11-17

looking forward for a tool like this tailored for androids. the maintenance tool from tvaddons not working. i only have 1gb of space in my android stb so saving 200 - 300mb may not be important for others but its important to me. i really don't need kodi to cache thumbnails as i have enough bandwidth for the tv box.

without addons my space is around 500mb, with 1 or 2 addons 300mb. thats the target available space i want. kodi keeping junks and once i have only 50mb on my drive, the interface stops working.

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - kodaxx - 2016-01-13

(2015-11-17, 14:15)diontoradan Wrote: looking forward for a tool like this tailored for androids. the maintenance tool from tvaddons not working. i only have 1gb of space in my android stb so saving 200 - 300mb may not be important for others but its important to me. i really don't need kodi to cache thumbnails as i have enough bandwidth for the tv box.

without addons my space is around 500mb, with 1 or 2 addons 300mb. thats the target available space i want. kodi keeping junks and once i have only 50mb on my drive, the interface stops working.

You should stay away from tvaddons - bad news

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - Gombeek - 2016-03-08

(2015-05-23, 13:18)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-05-23, 13:16)bazzol Wrote: I dont know if this helps but i installed raw maintenance from the no issue installer and i can delete thumbnails cache and purge, but i didnt c any difference performance wise

"raw maintenance" is evil and should be considered HIGHLY DANGEROUS!

How the hell is it "HIGHLY DANGEROUS!"?

Seriously, all it does it delete cache, packages and thumbnails.... its not doing anything malicious

Also how is it evil? its meant for the basic user who doesnt want more technical methods of deleting thumbnails and such.

Man this seriously pisses me off... i made this add-on with no ill will in mind and it doesnt violate any of the terms or conditions of kodi of building an add-on. calling it "Evil" and "HIGHLY DANGEROUS" is not only a grossly inaccurate statement you're discouraging genuine add-on development. I didn't make a add-on to stream illegal content, it is a simple addon to do a job people don't care to learn. How about instead of just attacking me on a forum why wouldn't you write me either on here or via the contact for the add-on or even github and suggest changes to improve the add-on if its so evil and dangerous? god, team kodi doesnt like being associated with 3rd party sites that provide illegal content... quite frankly i don't like being associated with pirate add ons and treated as such when i made damn sure to stay within the rules when making it. Pot, the phones for you, its kettle.

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - Ned Scott - 2016-03-08

(2016-03-08, 03:18)Gombeek Wrote:
(2015-05-23, 13:18)Martijn Wrote: "raw maintenance" is evil and should be considered HIGHLY DANGEROUS!

Seriously, all it does it delete cache, packages and thumbnails.... its not doing anything malicious

Also how is it evil? its meant for the basic user who doesnt want more technical methods of deleting thumbnails and such.

Man this seriously pisses me off... i made this add-on with no ill will in mind and it doesnt violate any of the terms or conditions of kodi of building an add-on. calling it "Evil" and "HIGHLY DANGEROUS" is not only a grossly inaccurate statement you're discouraging genuine add-on development. I didn't make a add-on to stream illegal content, it is a simple addon to do a job people don't care to learn. How about instead of just attacking me on a forum why wouldn't you write me either on here or via the contact for the add-on or even github and suggest changes to improve the add-on if its so evil and dangerous? god, team kodi doesnt like being associated with 3rd party sites that provide illegal content... quite frankly i don't like being associated with pirate add ons and treated as such when i made damn sure to stay within the rules when making it. Pot, the phones for you, its kettle.

Are you guys even talking about the same add-on? With somewhat vague names it becomes pretty easy to mistake one for another.

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - giaur - 2016-03-08

Thumbnails are never purged. Well, this makes no sense. Used space is growing. Every online movie I watched - 5- 10 MB of pictures, thumbnails. Definitely there shuld be some possibility to delete that mess automatically. I really can't understand why this is not purged after I stop watching online stream

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - Gombeek - 2016-03-08

(2016-03-08, 09:11)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-03-08, 03:18)Gombeek Wrote:
(2015-05-23, 13:18)Martijn Wrote: "raw maintenance" is evil and should be considered HIGHLY DANGEROUS!

Are you guys even talking about the same add-on? With somewhat vague names it becomes pretty easy to mistake one for another.

Im talking about Raw Maintenance, and seeing how Martijn even used quotes around the name "raw maintenance" he was pretty clear about the add-on he was talking about. I suppose he could have mistaken the add-on for another add-on as there is a literally thousands of 3rd party add-ons out there now and many of which do nefarious things. Just so we are all on the same page here is the link to my github of the Raw Maintenance add-on. https://github.com/rawmedia/raw_maintenance
I know there has been some confusion because Raw Maintenance somehow got added to superrepo but this was not at my request and i honestly wish they would remove it from superrepo, it is causing conflicts when i push an update. I would like to add it to the official list and i might try to tackle doing that today but to be totally honest its a bit confusing how to submit for a noob like my self.

As diontoradan mentioned some people are on limited space and caching thumbnails is not an option for them, this is true of a lot of devices out there. This add-on is not designed for the tech savvy or the seasoned kodi user, it is designed for the everyday man/woman who is looking for a simple no nonsense solution to space problems. I never expected this add-on to grow beyond a few thousand users and now I just surpassed 1 million. That being said some of the early complaints about the add-on (the the maids pictured in the thumbnails) have been changed because of user feedback. Now lots of different 3rd party add ons address this thumbnail issue as Raw Maintenance has grown in popularity and has brought light to a problem a lot of everyday casual users are having.

As for clearing packages, again some people are on limited space and have no desire to roll back versions.

If you ask me what I would really like to see is my add-on get absorbed into a feature built into Kodi. What i mean is there should be a way within Kodi to set the limits for the amount of space dedicated to packages and thumbnails as well as a option to clear the cache. Then people wouldn't need this tool and Kodi would be more hands free.

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - Ned Scott - 2016-03-08

Packages can be limited in Kodi. It does require an advancedsettings.xml file, though. I would love to see all advancedsettings moved to a "super expert" mode within Kodi (with a stern warning about how things can break).

I hope we also get automatic pruning of thumbnails too, someday :)

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - PrepaidGuy - 2016-11-10

(2016-03-08, 22:32)Ned Scott Wrote: I hope we also get automatic pruning of thumbnails too, someday Smile

^^^^^^^^THIS! Pretty please!

RE: Automatic Purging of Thumbnails - wrxtasy - 2016-11-11

SPMC and certain versions of AMLogic LibreELEC have a Clean Thumbnails option in Kodi settings....