Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Artist Slideshow addon (for skin integration) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow addon (for skin integration) (/showthread.php?tid=102703)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- ronie - 2011-08-10

paul elder Wrote:Is it possible to try it with another skin?

i'm not keeping track which skins are using it,
but give Cirrus Extended and Aeon MQ2 a shot.

- paul elder - 2011-08-11

To be honest ronnie I have tried all the skins and for me yours is the best, I will wait until it is available, thanks again for all your work on this Smile

- kiboy6 - 2011-08-11

Hi Ronie,

Sorry to flog what may already be a dead horse to you, but I am still yearning for an improvement to this addon which would make it perform well with a crappy connection.

As it stands I routinely have the wrong artist's picture displaying during loads of subsequently playing artists. This presumably occurs while all images for a previously playing artist are slowly being downloaded. (Especially likely to get stuck on an artist with lotss of images like Bob Dylan.)

I thought of one other potential single thread (?) solution. Could the tasks not be split into , say, 3 images downloaded at a time.

Ie, get the first image --check for new artist playing ---get 3 more images---check for new artist playing---get 3 more images etc...

[As opposed to current behaviour of :get the first image --check for new artist playing ---get all remaining images.]

Just an idea - if this would somehow impair performance for users with a decent connection perhaps it could be implemented as an option?

Failing all that, do you know of any python experts in the community I might be able to kindly ask to take a look at this?

Sorry again for banging on about this...it's just so close to ultimate slickness, but as it stands is very rough around the edges for me.

(I wish it could solve this just by getting a better connection, but I have major ISP throttling issues here in Sri Lanka with no viable alternative providers).

Thanks Ronie!

Oh, and did you ever get a chance to explore offline use of the script? At the moment it just returns a script failed message even if cached images are present.

- ronie - 2011-08-11

kiboy6 Wrote:Hi Ronie,

Sorry to flog what may already be a dead horse to you

a dead horse? certainly not ;-)

i've been doing some major code refactoring over the past week,
added the option to download images from htbackdrops.com,
made sure you can properly run the script at startup as well,
and i'm currently adding to option to fetch additional artist info from last.fm
(artist bio, albums, similar artists)
...oh yeah, and store the images in addon_data.

kiboy6 Wrote:Ie, get the first image --check for new artist playing ---get 3 more images---check for new artist playing---get 3 more images etc...
maybe my previous explanation wasn't clear...
the script checks after each download if there's a new artist playing.

you get problems if it takes 7 minutes to download a single image,
as that's what's happening on your end according to the Debug Log you've posted a while ago.

kiboy6 Wrote:Oh, and did you ever get a chance to explore offline use of the script? At the moment it just returns a script failed message even if cached images are present.

yup, also fixed that.

i'll release a new version for testing once i'm finished adding the extra last.fm stuff.

- kiboy6 - 2011-08-12

ronie Wrote:a dead horse? certainly not ;-)

haha - glad to hear the project is alive and kicking...actually I didn;t mean to suggest the whole script was a dead horse - just the finding of a multi-thread solution to my chronic connection woes with the script.

Quote:i've been doing some major code refactoring over the past week,
added the option to download images from htbackdrops.com,
made sure you can properly run the script at startup as well,
and i'm currently adding to option to fetch additional artist info from last.fm
(artist bio, albums, similar artists)
...oh yeah, and store the images in addon_data.

Wow..that all sounds fantastic - especially the addition of htbackdrops.com. Thanks again for all your work on this.

Quote:maybe my previous explanation wasn't clear...
the script checks after each download if there's a new artist playing.
oops, no i think you were perfectly clear - I was just being a bit dense. Must have blocked out of my mind the fact that my connection is so crippled it can take so long to download a single image!

That being the case, would there be any single-threaded way to add a timeout of, say, 30 seconds to the download of any single image? Or would that too require a second thread for counting?

Quote:yup, also fixed that.

i'll release a new version for testing once i'm finished adding the extra last.fm stuff.

Cool - thanks! Looking forward to it Smile

- ronie - 2011-08-12

kiboy6 Wrote:That being the case, would there be any single-threaded way to add a timeout of, say, 30 seconds to the download of any single image? Or would that too require a second thread for counting?

ronie Wrote:heh, that would nee two threads, one downloading and the other keeping track of time.

:-)

- kiboy6 - 2011-08-12

oops. How annoying of me. Sorry Blush

- brabax22 - 2011-08-13

For me the script does not running - i tried several versions of script and xbmc with no success. Debug-Log is showing this error:
Code:
17:35:33 T:3060792176  NOTICE: script.artistslideshow: script started
17:35:33 T:3060792176    INFO: -->Python script returned the following error<--
17:35:33 T:3060792176   ERROR: Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ValueError'>
17:35:33 T:3060792176   ERROR: Error Contents: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
17:35:33 T:3060792176   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/root/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow/default.py", line 185, in <module>
                                                Start()
                                              File "/root/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow/default.py", line 178, in Start
                                                MyPlayer()
                                              File "/root/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow/default.py", line 139, in __init__
                                                self.minwidth = int(__settings__.getSetting( "minwidth" ))
                                            ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
17:35:33 T:3060792176    INFO: -->End of Python script error report<--
17:35:33 T:3060792176    INFO: Python script stopped
17:35:33 T:3060792176   DEBUG: Thread XBPyThread 3060792176 terminating
17:35:33 T:9301888   DEBUG: waiting for python thread 3 to stop
Base is Ubuntu Natty, XBMC is self compiled (git from today), script installed from repository. Can anybody help?

- ronie - 2011-08-13

brabax22 Wrote:For me the script does not running - i tried several versions of script and xbmc with no success. Debug-Log is showing this error:
Code:
17:35:33 T:3060792176  NOTICE: script.artistslideshow: script started
17:35:33 T:3060792176    INFO: -->Python script returned the following error<--
17:35:33 T:3060792176   ERROR: Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ValueError'>
17:35:33 T:3060792176   ERROR: Error Contents: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
17:35:33 T:3060792176   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/root/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow/default.py", line 185, in <module>
                                                Start()
                                              File "/root/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow/default.py", line 178, in Start
                                                MyPlayer()
                                              File "/root/.xbmc/addons/script.artistslideshow/default.py", line 139, in __init__
                                                self.minwidth = int(__settings__.getSetting( "minwidth" ))
                                            ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
17:35:33 T:3060792176    INFO: -->End of Python script error report<--
17:35:33 T:3060792176    INFO: Python script stopped
17:35:33 T:3060792176   DEBUG: Thread XBPyThread 3060792176 terminating
17:35:33 T:9301888   DEBUG: waiting for python thread 3 to stop
Base is Ubuntu Natty, XBMC is self compiled (git from today), script installed from repository. Can anybody help?

check the script settings and make sure a value is set from min width and min height.

they default to 0, but looks like you've removed them?

will make sure that things like this won't make the script crash in the next version.

- brabax22 - 2011-08-14

ronie Wrote:check the script settings and make sure a value is set from min width and min height.

they default to 0, but looks like you've removed them?

will make sure to things like this won't make the script crash in the next version.

Ok, you are right. I deleted the values (dont know why). After setting 0 to both the script is running :-).

- ronie - 2011-08-14

brabax22 Wrote:Ok, you are right. I deleted the values (dont know why). After setting 0 to both the script is running :-).

thanx for the confirmation ;-)

- kardesken - 2011-08-17

This wonderful script has stop working on my computer. I don't know why, but I fear I might have done some updating to windows , xbmc and T! (win7, xbmc nightly and svn T!)

Don't know if this maybe give some answers
Quote:T:4512 NOTICE: script.artistslideshow: cachedir = C:\Users\..\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails\ArtistSlideshow\d7556be2
16:14:30 T:4512 NOTICE: script.artistslideshow: downloading images
16:14:34 T:4512 INFO: -->Python script returned the following error<--
16:14:34 T:4512 ERROR: Error Type: <class 'urllib2.URLError'>
16:14:34 T:4512 ERROR: Error Contents: <urlopen error [Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it>
16:14:34 T:4512 ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\..\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.artistslideshow\default.py", line 185, in <module>
Start()
File "C:\Users\..\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.artistslideshow\default.py", line 178, in Start
MyPlayer()
File "C:\Users\..\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.artistslideshow\default.py", line 143, in __init__
startDownload( self.minwidth , self.minheight )
File "C:\Users\..\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.artistslideshow\default.py", line 88, in startDownload
response = urllib2.urlopen(req)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\urllib2.py", line 126, in urlopen
return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\urllib2.py", line 391, in open
response = self._open(req, data)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\urllib2.py", line 409, in _open
'_open', req)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\urllib2.py", line 369, in _call_chain
result = func(*args)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\urllib2.py", line 1170, in http_open
return self.do_open(httplib.HTTPConnection, req)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\urllib2.py", line 1145, in do_open
raise URLError(err)
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it>
16:14:34 T:4512 INFO: -->End of Python script error report<--

This message make me think I've dine something stupid:
"No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it"
But then again I don't understand any of the lines so I ask here first before I do more wrong thingsLaugh

- ronie - 2011-08-17

kardesken Wrote:This wonderful script has stop working on my computer. I don't know why, but I fear I might have done some updating to windows , xbmc and T! (win7, xbmc nightly and svn T!)

Don't know if this maybe give some answers

This message make me think I've dine something stupid:
"No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it"
But then again I don't understand any of the lines so I ask here first before I do more wrong thingsLaugh

the script failed to connect to last.fm
most likely a temporary issue on their end.

if you still get this error, then start blaming windows ;-)

- Martijn - 2011-08-18

Ronie,
I use advancedsettings substitue to locate my thumbnails on my server. This all works fine and the thumbnails are stored somewhere there. However the artistslideshow does create its own folder located on the original location of thumbnails. So it doesn't use the substitute rules. Is that possible?

- ronie - 2011-08-18

Machine-Sanctum Wrote:Ronie,
I use advancedsettings substitue to locate my thumbnails on my server. This all works fine and the thumbnails are stored somewhere there. However the artistslideshow does create its own folder located on the original location of thumbnails. So it doesn't use the substitute rules. Is that possible?

good question, don't know the answer though.
if it's now working then maybe path substitution is only used by xbmc itself
and is not applied to it's addons (just guessing).

would it help if i allowed you to specify a path in the addon settings?