Kodi Community Forum
Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) (/showthread.php?tid=124880)

RE: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2019-12-29

(2019-12-29, 19:33)pulsar124 Wrote: Here is the kodi log file:

https://paste.kodi.tv/cejopuhiwe.kodi

I did also enable the AS logging feature, but I don't see relevant lines in the kodi log file. Is it in a separate file somewhere? I also don't see any references to the override SMB folder containing my images (contains keyword PHOTO), so it doesn't look complete. 

For some reason the Estuary skin is not running Artist Slideshow.  I've tried the 18.5 Estuary skin on my machine here, and it activates AS as I would expect.  Your log is showing that Kodi thinks AS is disabled (I can see it's installed at the beginning of the log).  Let's try this:

1- Go to Addons
2- Go up to the little icon that looks like an open box. That should give you a screen whose first entry is My Addons.
3- Go into My Addons and then scroll down to Program Addons and select it.

You should have a list of your installed program addons.  If there is a little X by Artist Slideshow, it's disabled.  You need to bring up the context menu (it's 'c' on a keyboard, unfortunately I have no idea how you bring that up with your TV remote) and select ENABLE.

If AS is already enabled, then I'm at a loss.  You might need to post this question in the Estuary support thread (where I'm likely to jump in anyway) because it seems to be a skin problem we haven't seen before.

https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=260

RE: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2019-12-29

New Beta (3.0.1~beta9)
- fix for artist images not changing when using a radio stream

Available from my beta repo as usual (see the wiki page in my signature for information on getting my beta repo if you need it).

OK folks, let get all this out of our systems.  Anymore problems?  I am no longer going to say I think this is the last beta, because as soon as I do one of you finds something else.  ;-)

RE: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - Ronny3 - 2019-12-29

(2019-12-29, 20:29)pkscout Wrote: New Beta (3.0.1~beta9)

Available from my beta repo as usual (see the wiki page in my signature for information on getting my beta repo if you need it).

OK folks, let get all this out of our systems.  Anymore problems?  I am no longer going to say I think this is the last beta, because as soon as I do one of you finds something else.  ;-)
Thanks for the new Artist Slideshow Version 3.0.1 ~beta9...pkscout...this work now fine with the Radio Addon Version 2.3.5... i am happy. Smile

Quote: 
- removed option to have a pop up displayed when downloading artwork
Why was this option removed ... pkscout?

RE: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - pulsar124 - 2019-12-29

(2019-12-29, 20:23)pkscout Wrote:
(2019-12-29, 19:33)pulsar124 Wrote: Here is the kodi log file:

https://paste.kodi.tv/cejopuhiwe.kodi

I did also enable the AS logging feature, but I don't see relevant lines in the kodi log file. Is it in a separate file somewhere? I also don't see any references to the override SMB folder containing my images (contains keyword PHOTO), so it doesn't look complete. 

For some reason the Estuary skin is not running Artist Slideshow.  I've tried the 18.5 Estuary skin on my machine here, and it activates AS as I would expect.  Your log is showing that Kodi thinks AS is disabled (I can see it's installed at the beginning of the log).  Let's try this:

1- Go to Addons
2- Go up to the little icon that looks like an open box. That should give you a screen whose first entry is My Addons.
3- Go into My Addons and then scroll down to Program Addons and select it.

You should have a list of your installed program addons.  If there is a little X by Artist Slideshow, it's disabled.  You need to bring up the context menu (it's 'c' on a keyboard, unfortunately I have no idea how you bring that up with your TV remote) and select ENABLE.

If AS is already enabled, then I'm at a loss.  You might need to post this question in the Estuary support thread (where I'm likely to jump in anyway) because it seems to be a skin problem we haven't seen before.

https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=260 

I just checked, and AS is enabled, so no easy fix for me. Thanks for looking into this!

RE: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - Lena_M - 2019-12-29

(2019-12-29, 20:29)pkscout Wrote: New Beta (3.0.1~beta9)

Hey man, you are faster than the confirmation mail for register here in the forum.
I just want to confirm the radio stream problem, but now i only can say THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
I'm using your addon for a long time and like it very much.
For me, everything is working fine - great job!

RE: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - pulsar124 - 2019-12-29

Actually, I just did another pass, first removing another plugin I tried before (Visualization Plugin), then enabling both Show Fanart player setting, and AS did work! The quality is not great (it's dark and low contrast), but at least it's working now. Also, it looks like it is cutting top and bottom of the vertical images (so it is fitting the width only). I kind of remember these issues were discussed on this forum before, I'll check my old notes.

(2019-12-29, 21:24)pulsar124 Wrote: Actually, I just did another pass, first removing another plugin I tried before (Visualization Plugin), then enabling both Show Fanart player setting, and AS did work! The quality is not great (it's dark and low contrast), but at least it's working now. Also, it looks like it is cutting top and bottom of the vertical images (so it is fitting the width only). I kind of remember these issues were discussed on this forum before, I'll check my old notes.

Glad to hear it's working now.  The dark part is the skin.  Estuary by default puts a black image with some transparency in front of the image so that any writing that comes up is legible.  The skin by default also assumes the images are 16x9 ratio, so vertical images especially will get cut off  For the second issue you can deselect the option in AS to dwonload images regardless of resolution. Then it will download only 16x9 images.  You'd have to go through and delete any already downloaded images that are not 16x9.

The other thing you could do (which is a bit more work) is to download my Estuary mod.  Among other things it eliminates the dark overlay (as long as you aren't showing the info like the song/artist info and album artwork) and has an option (in the skin settings) to not try and scale images AS downloads.  There's a link in my signature to the thread for that mod, and that thread has instructions for downloading my skin repo so you can install the skin.

One last thing.  If you've left the AS storage set to the default of Kodi addon_data folder, you might want to turn on the option (in the storage section of the AS settings) to limit the size of the download cache.  Your TV probably has limited local storage, so purging older artwork (which will be downloaded again later if needed) might not be a bad idea.  If you set it to a custom location and used something like an SMB share, then you're probably fine.

(2019-12-29, 20:51)Ronny3 Wrote:  - removed option to have a pop up displayed when downloading artwork

Programmers choice.  I added it as an option when I first took over maintenance of the addon (like seven years ago) as a way to deal with the fact that sometimes it took awhile for images to download and start showing.  Over the years I kept working at getting AS to show images sooner and sooner, and with 3.x you get at least one image pretty quickly.  So I made a choice to remove that option as I felt like it didn't serve a purpose anymore.  If you were using it, my apologies.  It's a casualty of modernization.

RE: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - scott967 - 2019-12-30

(2019-12-29, 15:55)pkscout Wrote:
(2019-12-29, 11:03)PantsOnFire Wrote: Pkscout,
Thanks very much for all the detailed info. I appreciate it. Especially over Christmas!

I understand now why AS isn't working right with my setup due to various reasons and happenings.

So I took your advice and wanted to try MQ5.
grabbed it from your GitHub. Upon install (for me), it fails due to there being no Rom collection browser script installed.

-i don't use RCB at all as I'm on Xbox one. Tried to find it in my add-ons but cannot find it.
-i would have thought it be done among the default install repos but I'm not seeing it (ver 18 Leia xboxOne). Maybe I should go find it on the forum and x'fer it to my xboxOne....

Alternatively, i might prefer just to go back to an older version of AS (2.x), think that would work?
I'm tagging @scott967 in this just because they're the ones maintaining the MQ5 stuff and might be able to answer that question.

If you want to revert to AS 2.x, you can download a zip of it here:

https://github.com/pkscout/repository.beta.pkscout/raw/helix/download/script.artistslideshow/script.artistslideshow-2.1.5.zip

You should probably uninstall the 3.x version first, and once you install the 2.x version you need to set it not to update (the toggle for that is on the info screen for an addon).   
I don't use the rom collection browser (RCB) either, and since the game player was released in Leia, not sure it has much of a purpose at this point.  Any way, RCB 2.1.3 is in the Kodi official repo.  Having done many installs for testing, I know sometimes Kodi hick-ups and doesn't install a dependency.  I've found trying to install the skin (or other addon with dependencies) again usually will pick it up.  Any other questions please post in my support thread here:  304472 (thread) FWIW I will probaly make it "optional" for Matrix (I installed it for test and did a brute-force hack to get it to run in Python 3 -- mainly got exceptions, fixed the code to get rid of the exceptions and repeated until no more exceptions), but I don't know if it actually works after that.

scott s.

RE: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - pulsar124 - 2019-12-30

(2019-12-29, 22:26)pkscout Wrote:
(2019-12-29, 21:24)pulsar124 Wrote: Actually, I just did another pass, first removing another plugin I tried before (Visualization Plugin), then enabling both Show Fanart player setting, and AS did work! The quality is not great (it's dark and low contrast), but at least it's working now. Also, it looks like it is cutting top and bottom of the vertical images (so it is fitting the width only). I kind of remember these issues were discussed on this forum before, I'll check my old notes.

Glad to hear it's working now.  The dark part is the skin.  Estuary by default puts a black image with some transparency in front of the image so that any writing that comes up is legible.  The skin by default also assumes the images are 16x9 ratio, so vertical images especially will get cut off  For the second issue you can deselect the option in AS to dwonload images regardless of resolution. Then it will download only 16x9 images.  You'd have to go through and delete any already downloaded images that are not 16x9.

The other thing you could do (which is a bit more work) is to download my Estuary mod.  Among other things it eliminates the dark overlay (as long as you aren't showing the info like the song/artist info and album artwork) and has an option (in the skin settings) to not try and scale images AS downloads.  There's a link in my signature to the thread for that mod, and that thread has instructions for downloading my skin repo so you can install the skin.

One last thing.  If you've left the AS storage set to the default of Kodi addon_data folder, you might want to turn on the option (in the storage section of the AS settings) to limit the size of the download cache.  Your TV probably has limited local storage, so purging older artwork (which will be downloaded again later if needed) might not be a bad idea.  If you set it to a custom location and used something like an SMB share, then you're probably fine. 
Thanks for the tips, I'll give your mod a try.

Any chance to make AS start the moment you press music play button?  (without the need to use mouse to click on the full screen icon). In other words, can the music player go full screen initially by itself?

RE: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - Ronny3 - 2019-12-30

(2019-12-29, 22:30)pkscout Wrote:
(2019-12-29, 20:51)Ronny3 Wrote:  - removed option to have a pop up displayed when downloading artwork

Programmers choice.  I added it as an option when I first took over maintenance of the addon (like seven years ago) as a way to deal with the fact that sometimes it took awhile for images to download and start showing.  Over the years I kept working at getting AS to show images sooner and sooner, and with 3.x you get at least one image pretty quickly.  So I made a choice to remove that option as I felt like it didn't serve a purpose anymore.  If you were using it, my apologies.  It's a casualty of modernization. 
Hello pkscout Smile . . . thanks for the info. . . had used this option all these years. . . to see. . . when something is downloaded. . . or just not. . . have been using your addon for a few years now. . . it's a great addon for me. . . with great support from you.

RE: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - PantsOnFire - 2019-12-30

(2019-12-29, 15:55)pkscout Wrote:
(2019-12-29, 11:03)PantsOnFire Wrote: Pkscout,
Thanks very much for all the detailed info. I appreciate it. Especially over Christmas!

I understand now why AS isn't working right with my setup due to various reasons and happenings.

So I took your advice and wanted to try MQ5.
grabbed it from your GitHub. Upon install (for me), it fails due to there being no Rom collection browser script installed.

-i don't use RCB at all as I'm on Xbox one. Tried to find it in my add-ons but cannot find it.
-i would have thought it be done among the default install repos but I'm not seeing it (ver 18 Leia xboxOne). Maybe I should go find it on the forum and x'fer it to my xboxOne....

Alternatively, i might prefer just to go back to an older version of AS (2.x), think that would work?
I'm tagging @scott967 in this just because they're the ones maintaining the MQ5 stuff and might be able to answer that question.

If you want to revert to AS 2.x, you can download a zip of it here:

https://github.com/pkscout/repository.beta.pkscout/raw/helix/download/script.artistslideshow/script.artistslideshow-2.1.5.zip

You should probably uninstall the 3.x version first, and once you install the 2.x version you need to set it not to update (the toggle for that is on the info screen for an addon).

Thanks PK.
Something's not quite right and I can't figure it out. I'm still on 18.4 here, uninstalled AS 3.X, installed the 2.x zip you linked, it mentioned update available, toggled auto-update OFF as you mentioned

Navigated to Settings, Player, Music, Visualisation . --but Kodi is showing NONE , no AS listed there. So it can't be selected.

As I say, under add-ons/my installed add-ons etc, it's listed there, but not showing up under PLAYER SETTINGS - MUSIC - VISUALISATION

Quit n reboot Kodi, still no show.

I uninstalled 3.x in the correct way.

RE: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - black_eagle - 2019-12-30

@PantsOnFire AS is not a visualisation, that's why it doesn't show up there.  If you play some music in a skin that supports AS (most of 'em) then it should just do it's thing automatically.

RE: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2019-12-30

(2019-12-30, 02:22)pulsar124 Wrote: Thanks for the tips, I'll give your mod a try.

Any chance to make AS start the moment you press music play button?  (without the need to use mouse to click on the full screen icon). In other words, can the music player go full screen initially by itself? 

My mod has an option for that too.  In the skin settings under artwork you can turn on "show music visualization screen directly when playing song."

RE: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - PantsOnFire - 2019-12-30

(2019-12-30, 13:53)black_eagle Wrote: @PantsOnFire AS is not a visualisation, that's why it doesn't show up there.  If you play some music in a skin that supports AS (most of 'em) then it should just do it's thing automatically.

Ok cheers. Maybe I spoke too soon.
I'll keep trying