Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - yellow1144 - 2019-05-30

(2019-05-30, 08:21)MalW Wrote: Hi,

I have used Kodi since the XBMC days and the Backup add-on for a long time as well and both work very well.

I am migrating away from all Microsoft products to Linux. How do I move the watched list from the Windows version to Linux please? I have tried making a backup and restoring that in Linux but the watched list doesn't seem to work. Is this possible and if so how please
I did the same thing about a year ago. Never looked back.

The watched status of movies and TV is stored in Kodi's internal database. When moving to Linux you will have to start from scratch in creating a new database and adding all your video sources. 

Before you migrate from Windows, you need to export the watched status that is contained in the internal database to the individual NFO files alongside all your video files. 

Go to Settings > Media > Library and select Export Library. Then Separate Files, then NO to export thumbnails, (your media folders usually contain thumbnail files already, you can select YES if you want to export them and store them in all the folders if you have the space.) Then Overwrite Old Files. This will refresh all your NFO files in your library with your current watched status.  

Now when you move over to Linux And you add your video sources in Kodi there, when it scans your sources it will automatically pick up your watched status from the NFOs in your library. Coincidentally I just completed this myself a few minutes ago when i moved to an SQL database on my server. It worked perfectly.

backup addon always starts on startup when any timer is set - _novalis - 2019-07-02

If I schedule a timer a backup would start at any startup of Kodi. Even if it is not checked in the settings. Only way to prevent it is to turn of the scheduler.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - DarrenHill - 2019-07-02

@_novalis - I've merged your post (now above) into the main support thread for the add-on, as we don't need additional multiple threads for the same add-on.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - _novalis - 2019-07-03

Tried to restore a backup from smb share and got the following error (writing worked well) :
2019-07-03 09:45:43.167 T:2871260016 WARNING: CAddonSettings[script.xbmcbackup]: cannot reference setting (relative index: -8; absolute index: -1) in another category in old setting condition "eq(-8,3)" for "remove_auth_button"
2019-07-03 09:45:43.167 T:2871260016 WARNING: CAddonSettings[script.xbmcbackup]: failed to parse visible condition "eq(-8,3)" of old setting definition for "remove_auth_button"
2019-07-03 09:45:43.167 T:2871260016 WARNING: CAddonSettings[script.xbmcbackup]: cannot reference setting (relative index: -9; absolute index: -2) in another category in old setting condition "gt(-9,1)" for "remove_auth_button"
2019-07-03 09:45:43.167 T:2871260016 WARNING: CAddonSettings[script.xbmcbackup]: failed to parse visible condition "gt(-9,1)" of old setting definition for "remove_auth_button"

This is on LE 9.1 / RasPi4

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - _novalis - 2019-07-06

And here is the solution:
Tried to restore a backup from smb share and got the error that no backup was shown (writing worked well).
I used the manually type path option.

I then checked the browse path option and that worked.
So I then checked the settings.xml and found remote_path and remote_path2. 
The difference was that I forgot the / at the end of my path.
Is that really neccessary?

Maybe some infoline that the path has to look like this would be appreciated by some 'not coder' users:
smb://user:[email protected]/KodiBackup/ 
(don't forget the slash at the end of your path)

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2019-07-19

(2019-07-06, 12:56)_novalis Wrote: And here is the solution:
Tried to restore a backup from smb share and got the error that no backup was shown (writing worked well).
I used the manually type path option.

I then checked the browse path option and that worked.
So I then checked the settings.xml and found remote_path and remote_path2. 
The difference was that I forgot the / at the end of my path.
Is that really neccessary?

Maybe some infoline that the path has to look like this would be appreciated by some 'not coder' users:
smb://user:[email protected]/KodiBackup/ 
(don't forget the slash at the end of your path)

Good tip! Thanks. One thing that might even work better is I could add a check for the slash before doing anything in the code and just add it if missing. Since it's important the paths be built correctly making sure the base path is correct is important. Sees like a coder concern though.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - _novalis - 2019-07-19

(2019-07-19, 03:30)robweber Wrote: Good tip! Thanks. One thing that might even work better is I could add a check for the slash before doing anything in the code and just add it if missing. Since it's important the paths be built correctly making sure the base path is correct is important. Sees like a coder concern though.

That'd be even better Rob, thank you.

Have you had a chance to check my problem with the scheduler and the automatic but false backups at every startup? (Github issue)

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - ChrisKlondike - 2019-07-27

I am finding my Kodi/RPi system to be fragile, needing frequent re-installs.
One way to reduce the misery this causes is to run backups, so I do. Automatically - every day.
Today I needed to restore the backup to a newly-installed system SD card, but whilst the restore completed normally without errors, no files were resatored,
and my system was as apparently virginal as before. No recoridns, no recordings database, no TVheadend configured - nothing.

I haver uploaded my log: https://paste.kodi.tv/enegevoqip.

Please let me know why the Backup addon in't doing what I expect it to.

Thanks
Chris

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - ChrisKlondike - 2019-07-27

I forgot to mention that I chmod 777'd the entire disk to rule out permission issues.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - trogggy - 2019-07-27

(2019-07-27, 12:51)ChrisKlondike Wrote: I am finding my Kodi/RPi system to be fragile, needing frequent re-installs.

Firstly you should sort out why you need all those re-installs.  I have pi's that have been running for years (literally) without a re-install, LE isn't inherently unstable.
Secondly - why not use LE's own built-in backup?

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2019-07-29

(2019-07-27, 12:51)ChrisKlondike Wrote: I am finding my Kodi/RPi system to be fragile, needing frequent re-installs.
One way to reduce the misery this causes is to run backups, so I do. Automatically - every day.
Today I needed to restore the backup to a newly-installed system SD card, but whilst the restore completed normally without errors, no files were resatored,
and my system was as apparently virginal as before. No recoridns, no recordings database, no TVheadend configured - nothing.

I haver uploaded my log: https://paste.kodi.tv/enegevoqip.

Please let me know why the Backup addon in't doing what I expect it to.

Thanks
Chris

Would you mind turning in the debug log setting and then retrying? I see where the restore is starting but since all the info I need is set to "debug" I don't get any detail about what files it's actually trying to restore. Thanks!

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2019-07-30

For anyone interested in helping I'm looking for some Beta testers on a new version of the addon. This is a major update to how file lists are handled for both backup and restore operations. Details are here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=345812

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - _novalis - 2019-08-01

Hi Rob,
appreciate your efforts. I have tested the new beta today. I have activated my schedule (backup on first of each month) and restarted Kodi. It would still start a backup immediately.
So this behaviour hasn't changed and forced me to turn off schedules again.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2019-08-01

(2019-08-01, 14:34)_novalis Wrote: Hi Rob,
appreciate your efforts. I have tested the new beta today. I have activated my schedule (backup on first of each month) and restarted Kodi. It would still start a backup immediately.
So this behaviour hasn't changed and forced me to turn off schedules again.

Thanks for testing. I updated the GitHub Issue regarding this after testing with your settings (first of month backup).

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2019-08-09

Version 1.1.3 released. 

Previously I had thought the Python 3 only addon updates applied to all repository submissions, but I was wrong. I was able to get an update to the Backup addon admitted to the Jarvis repo, this will now be available to all Jarvis+ versions of Kodi. 

This version contains a variety of bug fixes but no really new functionality. For that I'm still working on the Beta branch of the addon which includes a new file manager system. This will be targeted for Leia+ versions of Kodi but first needs to be made Python 3 compatible.