Kodi Community Forum
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV (/showthread.php?tid=229348)

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Koying - 2016-09-06

(2016-09-06, 15:43)CiNcH Wrote: Do you already have Marshmallow by chance?

No.
I might be wrong, though. Will check tonight...

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - kinggo - 2016-09-06

(2016-09-06, 14:57)CiNcH Wrote: OK, seems I was wrong. And it makes perfect sense now. It looks as follows on my Sony...

Kodi Jarvis / SPMC (V16): AC3 and DTS passthrough both working
Krypton (V17): DTS is decoded and output as PCM (as there is no passthrough capability on API 22), no stream for AC3 (Kodi uses the RAW API which does not work on the Sony)

Sony users for sure should stay with Jarvis or go with SPMC.
AC3 does work on v17 with android 5.1. I do get DD signal on my AVR.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - CiNcH - 2016-09-07

I tried both, S/PDIF and HDMI-ARC. I assume that my Teufel AVR can't cope with what is output by the Sony. It works perfectly with the PCM hack though.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - CiNcH - 2016-09-07

What surprises me is that AC3 Passthrough works fine with my Sony TV + Teufel AVR combo for Apps like Netflix and Google Play Movies. Do these use the PCM hack? Hmm...

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Koying - 2016-09-07

For info, Netflix uses eac3 5.1

Quote: For info, Netflix uses eac3 5.1
I know. My Teufel can't do that. However a DD+ decoder has to be able to create a DD compatible stream from it. And that's what is then passed to S/PDIF.

Wikipedia says:
Quote:Dolby Digital Plus bitstreams are not directly backward compatible with legacy Dolby Digital decoders. However, Dolby Digital Plus is a functional superset of Dolby Digital, and decoders include a mandatory component that directly converts (without decoding and re-encoding) the Dolby Digital Plus bitstream to a Dolby Digital bitstream (operating at 640kbit/s) for carriage via legacy S/PDIF connections (including S/PDIF over HDMI) to external decoders (e.g. AVRs, etc.).

But you are probably right. Data might use a different path there. Question is how do they packet the data and why can my Teufel handle that?

(Kodi BTW does not support AC3 Passthrough for DD+/EAC3, probably an ffmpeg limitation...)

Just like it is the case with Philips androidtv, my TV does not do passthrough for 640kbps AC3, however for 384kbps it does, see here.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - stefaang - 2016-09-07

Correct, the MediaTek decoder transcodes everything to AC3. Unfortunately, there is no passthrough path.

Quote:Correct, the MediaTek decoder transcodes everything to AC3. Unfortunately, there is no passthrough path.
It works with Netflix and Google Play Movies which both use EAC3 though. I get AC3 on my Teufel. And I do not think they use a different path.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - kinggo - 2016-09-07

Built in apps works differently obviously since everything works. There's no way to get any lossless format via ARC or optical but still if you play some dts true hd movie from USB you will get DTS 5.1.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Jeffers24 - 2016-09-08

Has anyone figured out how to get a mouse option from the standard TV remote?
Just basic mouse on or mouse off and use the left, right, up and down buttons to move mouse with the button in the centre of the directional buttons as select.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - kinggo - 2016-09-08

You can't do that. That works in browser only I think and/or maybe some other app. Tvsideview or flick remote. Or maybe real mouse.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - whoopn - 2016-09-12

Has anyone found a work-around for VC-1 decoding in kodi on this TV?

I put a VC-1 encoded bluray rip (makemkv, so no transcoding done) on a thumb drive and the TV played it just fine. But in Kodi I can see its using ffmpeg to decode it...is there a way to disable software decoding or is there perhaps an addon that allows me to disable certain decoders or even force other ones for specific video codecs?

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - CiNcH - 2016-09-13

I recognized that too. ffmpeg does not use MediaCodec to decode VC-1. The TV can do it:

Code:
OMX.MTK.VIDEO.DECODER.VC1        video/x-ms-wmv

Rather an ffmpeg than Kodi issue I suppose!?

A log can be downloaded from here.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - whoopn - 2016-09-13

(2016-09-13, 17:15)CiNcH Wrote: I recognized that too. ffmpeg does not use MediaCodec to decode VC-1. The TV can do it:

Code:
OMX.MTK.VIDEO.DECODER.VC1        video/x-ms-wmv

Rather an ffmpeg than Kodi issue I suppose!?

A log can be downloaded from here.

So how did you get that info? Is there a way to edit files for Kodi without being root?