Kodi Community Forum
Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV (/showthread.php?tid=257713)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - Koying - 2016-11-14

Oh, ok. Strange that DTS would not work then.
The software part is in Android itself, and the hardware part is no different than AC3...

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - CiNcH - 2016-11-15

Quote: The software part is in Android itself, and the hardware part is no different than AC3...
Yeah. And what's so different between 448kbps and 640kbps AC3? Wink

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - Etzi - 2016-11-15

(2016-11-15, 16:16)CiNcH Wrote:
Quote: The software part is in Android itself, and the hardware part is no different than AC3...
Yeah. And what's so different between 448kbps and 640kbps AC3? Wink

Bitrate Huh
And somekind of odd limitation of MTK chipsets in Android TV sets...
Trying to play back 640kbps AC3 will make whole audiostack hang and only hard reboot will make it function again.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - kinggo - 2016-11-16

(2016-11-15, 17:22)Etzi Wrote: Trying to play back 640kbps AC3 will make whole audiostack hang and only hard reboot will make it function again.
On SONY you don't need reboot, just play something with default player and when you are back in kodi sound works again.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - Etzi - 2016-11-16

(2016-11-16, 00:03)kinggo Wrote: On SONY you don't need reboot, just play something with default player and when you are back in kodi sound works again.

Nice tip, will try it, next time... Smile

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - maticbrencic - 2016-12-23

Hi there. I'm new in this 5.1 passthrough and that kind of stuff. I have Philips TV 49Pus6501 and Philips cinema system connected via HDMI ARC. What is the best version of Kodi to get 5.1 sound out of it? Can someone tell me how to set all Kodi audio settings.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - stussy - 2017-01-11

Hi there,

I just bought a 55pos901f OLED 4K android TV. The TV is a beast. I also bought a AVR Yamaha RX A660.

But i am now experiencing all the bad stuff you cannot read before the buy.

Maybe you can help me or update the post with my new informations.

I had an update for the Tv yesterday. See the version below. Android 6.0.1 I guess.

I tested Kodi 16.1 jarvis with passthrough + AC3 capable AVR + DTS capable AVR : I have a terrible noise, the movie being DD, DTS, DTS HD or whatever.

If i deactivate AC3 capable AVR + DTS capable AVR, i can listen to anything but my AVR shows only PCM (details: 2 channel stereo with no bitrate). I cannot guaranty the type of sound i really get, BUT i have sound on every speaker of my 5.1 system. I will find a test movie (DTS or DD) with 3d sound, at least i will know if this is 5ch stereo or 3d sound, meaning it would be the DTS i should get. But why cant my AVR recognize the signal and show me he does the job correctly ?

With the Philips media player I can have DD and DTS, but not more, no DTHD nor DTS HD (i did not even presume ATMOS and DTSX will work...), by the way, the way we can select the audio stream is just terrible, it's just a list of languages, no bitrate, no audio codec, you can go blind it will be the same. It's a shame for a 4K HDR TV...

I dont understand my TV, in the audio settings you can only choose between stereo or multicanal (in case you get the ARC to work and send your audio to an AVR), if the audio get through the ARC, why would the TV send only DD or DTS while the file is DTS HD or Dolby true HD, it seems the ARC is not like a full passthrough. I chose ARC in place of coax/optical to get DTS HD or Dolby THD, i am so pissed and disapointed.

I will perform more test this week end when i have more time.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - Martijn - 2017-01-11

Install v17 and you won't get noise

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - stussy - 2017-01-13

I dont know how to install v17 since the play store only propose v16.1, can I do it from usb source ?

BTW i made some new tests that concern me a lot.
I was deeply looking in my AVR settings to understand the sound i was getting from HDMI ARC in kodi. I can now confirm it is 2 ch stereo, with no bitrate showed.
My AVR is converting it with Neo 6 - Cinema wich is the DTS version of Dolby Pro logic 2, this is some kind of 3d reconstruction sound from a 2ch source. That is why i have sound on every speaker, but the quality is far far away from a real DTS source, especially for the 3D aspect of the sound.

So, i was wondering, what shoud i do to get DTS and DD, from ARC in KODI ? (v17 ?)
Since it's working in Philips Media Player...

Is it possible to get Dolby True HD and DTS HD (MA ?) from my TV in HDMI ARC mode ? Since Optical wont get me more than DTS or DD... (In Kodi or Philips Media player or any other application you would advise me to try)

I would love to get rid of my old HTPC (not 4k able... but so much better right now for getting me any type of sound in PT mode)

I would love to help this thread, by adding any info my TV can provide (about android KODI, Philips firmware, or anything)

My HTPC run with OpenElec and Kodi 16.1, I was not planning on updating to v17 since i decided to go for the TV version of Kodi...

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - stussy - 2017-01-13

I am reading this very interesting post, and i want to cry. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=288484&page=4

and some good news :

(2016-11-15, 17:21)Etzi Wrote:
(2016-11-15, 16:44)mrmojo666 Wrote: i don't want to be too fussy, but why not 448 instead of 384 ? Smile

Fritsch decision, probably because we knew that it should definately work.
And I`m not sure if 448 is supported on all of those chipsets, I did find out that Philips is fine with 448, not sure about Sony or the others.

Anyway, at least he was kind enough to produce working fix for those, so I would not complain as 384kbps 5.1 AC3 is way better (for movies) than only 2.0 PCM.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - wrxtasy - 2017-01-14

(2017-01-13, 22:06)stussy Wrote: I dont know how to install v17 since the play store only propose v16.1, can I do it from usb source ?
This post will help, same method of file transfer for all Android TV OS implementations....
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220297&pid=2500456#pid2500456

Quote:Use X-Plore App from Playstore, start WiFi server, note down the IP address under the WiFi server Icon.
Plug that address into a network connected Web browser on a PC, upload the Files to the Shield / Mi box's Download folder...
Hint: change X-Plore's config to Show Hidden Files can help as well.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - kinggo - 2017-01-14

you need to enable unknow sources first. Don't know where is that on philips. Then you also need some file manager from playstore. Then plug in USB and use fiule manager to navigate to kodi apk and install.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - neandertal - 2017-09-12

Anyone here knows if Philips Oled 901F passes thru dolby Atmos from the Tv to soundbar etc for Atmos..? dd+ etc. From the internal apps or/and from 4k blurayplayer?

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - kinggo - 2017-09-12

probably not since one needs eARC for that. And how much difference is there between regular DD and atmos on a soundbarHuh

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - neandertal - 2017-09-13

(2017-09-12, 09:26)kinggo Wrote: probably not since one needs eARC for that. And how much difference is there between regular DD and atmos on a soundbarHuh

It works for LG 2017 OLEDs so I am not sure why it wouldn't work on Philips.. probably because they are to lazy to implement it.

Quote:Dolby Atmos and DD+ over HDMI ARC for 2016 LG OLED TV
LG just announced this feature for it's 2017 line of Devices, but users of the last generation should not be left out. This is an important feature in this day and age, because Dolby Atmos and DTS:X Sound formats are becoming more and more important on the market. Currently we have to work around the TV to get these sound formats working, since the LG OLED TVs only pass up tp DD 5.1 on to the AVR. https://www.change.org/p/lg-electronics-dolby-atmos-and-dd-over-hdmi-arc-for-2016-lg-oled-tv

Maybe it will work on Philips 2017 Oled line up and series 8 LCD.

Edit: Ok so for full Dolby TrueHD Atmos from a bluray you'll need an eARC but it might work in some tvs (internal apps etc, when it comes) for dd+ enabled Dolby Atmos..hmm..

Quote:Over ARC, you can bitstream the DD+ 7.1 with or without Atmos to an AVR. Some select few streaming sites will give you DD+ Atmos. Most will be DD+ 5.1. You cannot bitstream a TrueHD core over ARC. You will be able to with eARC, which is part of the HDMI 2.1 spec (no devices exist that support 2.1). http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2378442-dolby-digital-plus-dd-atmos-over-hdmi-arc-8.html#post53728849