• 5(current)
Philips 6501 - Passthrough problems
We have a test build that should work, on Kodi as well with DTS transcoding.
Output is AC3 384K Wink

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=290439 (Long and boring thread I guess, but it has test build apk)

Care to share your SPMC audio settings?
Because I definately did not manage to get it work on my 6561 Huh
on spmc i just switch to iec raw then i had to disable then renable passthrough.

and it worked with ac3 448 and lower bitrates.

on tv i have set easylink active

i don't want to be too fussy, but why not 448 instead of 384 ? Smile
(2016-11-15, 16:44)mrmojo666 Wrote: i don't want to be too fussy, but why not 448 instead of 384 ? Smile

Fritsch decision, probably because we knew that it should definately work.
And I`m not sure if 448 is supported on all of those chipsets, I did find out that Philips is fine with 448, not sure about Sony or the others.

Anyway, at least he was kind enough to produce working fix for those, so I would not complain as 384kbps 5.1 AC3 is way better (for movies) than only 2.0 PCM.
if i'm not wrong is a limitation coming from ARC standad, it has standardized limits that are 448 on AC3......
(2016-11-15, 19:51)mrmojo666 Wrote: if i'm not wrong is a limitation coming from ARC standad, it has standardized limits that are 448 on AC3......

Possible, as 448kbps is DVD standard as well.... Rolleyes
Unfortunately I have been unable to dig out any actual documentation about this so far.
For sure not! DTS over S/PDIF and HDMI-ARC goes up to 1.5mbps. BD specifies 640kbps AC3 which should of course be bitstreamable.
(2016-11-15, 20:46)CiNcH Wrote: For sure not! DTS over S/PDIF and HDMI-ARC goes up to 1.5mbps. BD specifies 640kbps AC3 which can of course be bitstreamed.

Well, Philips included player can do it as well, even bitstreams DTS over HDMI-ARC and HDMI (1.3 and higher) has plenty of bandwith available for this.
But I don't really think SPDIF supports DTS at all, due to bandwith restrictions at least by official specs, maybe manufacturers have enchanced this by now.

I personally don't use SPDIF (for years now already) so I cannot really test it out.
(2016-11-15, 20:50)Etzi Wrote: But I don't really think SPDIF supports DTS at all, due to bandwith restrictions at least by official specs, maybe manufacturers have enchanced this by now.
Sure it does. DTS was here way before shitty HDMI. So it was either optical or six cables for analog output.
Hello. I'm owner of a 49PUS6501 TV.

I have realized that there is a new update for this TV with Android MarshMallow 6.0.1 that fix many features, like Netflix HDR for example.

The link for the update is:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpind...BG&slg=AEN

Have everyone tried to install it and test the DTS and DD features with Kodi or any fork like SPMC?

Thanks a lot in advance¡¡
Yes, I have tested it on 55PUS6561.

DTS does not work at all, DD still has bitrate limit.
So pretty much nothing has changed in this regard.

Contacted Philips support directly about these issues, as apparently they don't like negative feedback and/or Technical talks in their support forums.
I got "moderated" in there...after I posted about those issues on their support forum.
Hello Etzi,

So in DD movies, still depends on the bitrate?. In the actual firmware, I have movies that I play normally, and some that i cannot listen.

Have you tried DTS and DD with the philips player with Android 6? . Is incredible that Philips close this features to its own apps¡¡¡

Thanks¡¡
(2017-02-06, 13:03)Bmn2016 Wrote: So in DD movies, still depends on the bitrate?. In the actual firmware, I have movies that I play normally, and some that i cannot listen.

Fortunately there is a way to force everything to be transcoded, including DD.
Just Switch on "Sync playback to display" under Player settings, it will force it to transcode everything as it has to resample everything. Wink
And @fritsch was kind enough to make Kodi transcode everything at 384kbit/s as there thousands of devices, which similar deficiencies.

So technically 5.1 audio is possible (via those workarounds) in Kodi on those MTK5890 based devices.

(2017-02-06, 13:03)Bmn2016 Wrote: Have you tried DTS and DD with the philips player?

Same as before, it works...but obviously uses non-standard implementation for that.
Downside is that for subtitles, you would need an Magnifying glass to be able to read them.
Thank you so much for the information @Etzi. I will post my experience as soon as possible Wink
(2017-02-06, 12:59)Etzi Wrote: Yes, I have tested it on 55PUS6561.

DTS does not work at all, DD still has bitrate limit.
So pretty much nothing has changed in this regard.

Contacted Philips support directly about these issues, as apparently they don't like negative feedback and/or Technical talks in their support forums.
I got "moderated" in there...after I posted about those issues on their support forum.
LOL
So what are you talking about there then? Carpets and wallpapers? SONY is waaaay bettter, they simply just don't care so you can say whatewer you want. Or nothing at all. The end result is the same.
Hi, I have 55PUS6561 with Android 6 connected to AVR Pioneer and now trying to understand the whole problem. So if I summarize it:
- philips uses some proprietary API in default internal media player which allows passthrought of either AC3 and DTS.
-- on another hand a lot of the video/audio formats are not supported there compared to Kodi
- kodi uses standard Android API which is broken in philips FW so only AC3 passthrought is working, but with limitation to some bitrate.
-- all other audio formats must be decoded by Kodi and outputed as PCM to TV FW, which then output max 2.0 downmix via speakers, SPDIF or ARC even if there is multispeakers set in the TV settings.
-- there is some way to transcode any audio by Kodi to AC3 5.1 and then passthrought it.

Am I understand it right?

I wasn't able to find how I can trancode audio to AC3, there is no such option in audio settings. I tried to turn on "Sync playback to display", but then I didn't get didn't get even AC3 on AVR.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Philips 6501 - Passthrough problems1