Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-04

killerpoptart Wrote:Awesome! Ya, I think I might have been putting the showkey string into the wrong section of the keymap, but i'm not sure. It might also be worth mentioning that i installed your plugin and i think it might have editted the keymap previously, so I don't think i'm starting with the original XBMC keymap (if that makes any difference). I did notice too that there are some legit MCE buttons on the remote like the red, blue, green and yellow ones. But here are the strings for the extra buttons on my remote:

Browser:
<browser_home>Notification(Key, browser_home, 3)</browser_home>

*:
<numpadtimes>Notification(Key, numpadtimes, 3)</numpadtimes>

#:
<numlock>Notification(Key, numlock, 3)</numlock>

grey tv
<o mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, o, 3)</o>

grey picture
<g mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, g, 3)</g>

grey movie
<t mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, t, 3)</t>

grey dvd
<m mod="ctrl,shift">Notification(Key, m, 3)</m>

I tried the browser one but it wouldn't work. I'm not sure if i'm inserting it into the right section of the keymap? Or is it possible it could be a system wide command or something? Again thanks for your help! :-)

Thanks for the info :-)

Actually the MCE plugin is not mine, it was created by jhsrennie. I'm just a noob compared to him Big Grin

Now we should not edit keyboard.xml that is located in the "System" folder "%Program Files%\XBMC\system\keymaps" but instead we should Create and edit keyboard.xml in the "User appdata folder" here "%AppData%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps".

If you think that you have messed up the keyboard.xml in the "system" folder I suggest you reinstall XBMC and it will overwrite the old keyboard.xml with a fresh one. Then just download a copy of my keyboard.xml from my site and place it in "User appdata folder" and then you can modify it without messing up the original XBMC files.

XBMC wont understand "Browser_home or numlock derivatives" so we have to use Autohotkey and remap them to something XBMC understands! Although I did not recognise "numpadtimes" is it the same as "NumPadMult" but I do not know!

I say we use your "grey dvd and grey tv" buttons for the "context menu" and the "subtitles On/Off" easier for you to do. Although you can use any other button as you wish by following the simple steps below:-

1- Use a proper xml file editor of your choice or just use XML Marker to avoid any errors when modifying xml files.

2- Open Keyboard.xml and search for <m mod="ctrl,shift">Notification(MCEKeypress, DVD menu, 3)</m> then change it to <m mod="ctrl,shift">ContextMenu</m> now the "grey dvd" button will open the "Context Menu".

3- Then Search for <o mod="ctrl">Notification(MCEKeypress, Recorded TV, 3)</o> and change it to <o mod="ctrl">ShowSubtitles</o> now the "grey tv" button will toggle "subtitles on/off".

Save and exit, then try it in XBMC.

If you need any more help let me know :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- killerpoptart - 2011-04-04

elitegamer360 Wrote:Thanks for the info :-)

Actually the MCE plugin is not mine, it was created by jhsrennie. I'm just a noob compared to him Big Grin

Now we should not edit keyboard.xml that is located in the "System" folder "%Program Files%\XBMC\system\keymaps" but instead we should Create and edit keyboard.xml in the "User appdata folder" here "%AppData%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps".

If you think that you have messed up the keyboard.xml in the "system" folder I suggest you reinstall XBMC and it will overwrite the old keyboard.xml with a fresh one. Then just download a copy of my keyboard.xml from my site and place it in "User appdata folder" and then you can modify it without messing up the original XBMC files.

XBMC wont understand "Browser_home or numlock derivatives" so we have to use Autohotkey and remap them to something XBMC understands! Although I did not recognise "numpadtimes" is it the same as "NumPadMult" but I do not know!

I say we use your "grey dvd and grey tv" buttons for the "context menu" and the "subtitles On/Off" easier for you to do. Although you can use any other button as you wish by following the simple steps below:-

1- Use a proper xml file editor of your choice or just use XML Marker to avoid any errors when modifying xml files.

2- Open Keyboard.xml and search for <m mod="ctrl,shift">Notification(MCEKeypress, DVD menu, 3)</m> then change it to <m mod="ctrl,shift">ContextMenu</m> now the "grey dvd" button will open the "Context Menu".

3- Then Search for <o mod="ctrl">Notification(MCEKeypress, Recorded TV, 3)</o> and change it to <o mod="ctrl">ShowSubtitles</o> now the "grey tv" button will toggle "subtitles on/off".

Save and exit, then try it in XBMC.

If you need any more help let me know :-)

Cheers,
EG.

Thanks so much! i'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know! hopefully i'll be able to post my solution for others with this remote. I think quite a few people might have it heh.

- killerpoptart - 2011-04-08

It worked perfectly! thanks for the help. :-D

- mrpeterparker - 2011-04-09

is there instructions for uninstall anywhere? in particular Config v1.24

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-09

mrpeterparker Wrote:is there instructions for uninstall anywhere? in particular Config v1.24

In the remote setup page you are advised to make backup of your original config settings, full instructions on how to do so on site.

If you did that then apply the reg backup file and it will uninstall config 1.24 you will need to restart for the default settings to be applied.

If you have not made a backup then install JR's MCE Remote addon from XBMC and apply the default Windows settings then restart.

In my next release I am working on including an autoreg backup that you can use to revert back easily to windows original settings.

Cheers,
EG.

- mrpeterparker - 2011-04-09

thanks!

- cosmic_cam - 2011-04-13

Hi elitegamer360 and everyone,

I followed the instructions on the website to edit the reg and fix the green button, add the startup script, etc. I am using an asrock clone remote, but had the supporting ehome driver and correct items in the reg before editing. Here's my problem:

Since following the instructions, I am getting no response at all from any remote buttons, in windows or xbmc! (Doesn't do anything, whereas before it had the normal limited functionality in XBMC.)

I know this must be a simple little switch in windows to enable keypresses from remote. All the same I can't see where I've gone wrong. Please help!

Cheers!

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-13

@cosmic_cam:

From your brief post it sounds to me like you have a clone, non RC6 Remote more like an intel cheap tech "HID-compliant consumer control device" but I cant judge yet :-)

Are you sure you have "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the Human Interface Devices in the Device manager?

Again in the Device Manager can you please also check that you have "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)" under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers

What IR Receiver are using? Did it come with the remote?!

Can you please also indicate which Operating system are using and if you are using XBMC 10.1 or another version. Did you use the latest reg config file v1.24 (Double clicked it to install the registry configuration) and did you use keyboard.xml v1.81?

If you have all the appropriate drivers in the device manager, then can you use Showkey.exe so we can exactly figure out if your remote is sending anything at all.

start Showkey.exe and point your remote to the receiver and try for example the navigation buttons first "i.e. UP, Down, Left and right".

for example when you press the "UP" button you should see in showkey:

KeyID 38(0x26) - VK_UP .... etc etc...

Please report back on the above details, can you also please report back what buttons does not send anything! Then we’ll figure out what to do next :-)

Cheers,
EG.

details about Asrock remote - cosmic_cam - 2011-04-14

Hi EG, thanks for the reply. Here are some details about my system:

Quote:From your brief post it sounds to me like you have a clone, non RC6 Remote more like an intel cheap tech "HID-compliant consumer control device" but I cant judge yet :-)

I am running an Asrock ION330HT-BD which has an Asrock 'MCE Remote Controller'. This xbmc wiki article claims that the .reg files used to configure the MS remote will also work with this. Here is an image below:

Quote:Are you sure you have "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the Human Interface Devices in the Device manager?

Again in the Device Manager can you please also check that you have "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)" under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers

I certainly have the Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver in the Device Manager but I do not have the eHome Infrared Receiver under USB Controllers.

Quote:What IR Receiver are using? Did it come with the remote?!
My IR receiver is built-in and the remote came bundled with the system. The IR receiver is controlled by Nuvoton W836x7HG CIR Device Driver which is listed under Human Interface Devices. That driver is provided by Asrock for Windows 7 64bit.

Quote:Can you please also indicate which Operating system are using and if you are using XBMC 10.1 or another version. Did you use the latest reg config file v1.24 (Double clicked it to install the registry configuration) and did you use keyboard.xml v1.81?
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate Home 64bit. Yes I am using XBMC 10.1. I definitely downloaded .reg config v1.24 and updated the registry with it and installed keyboard.xml v1.81 to the right keymaps folder.

Quote:If you have all the appropriate drivers in the device manager, then can you use Showkey.exe so we can exactly figure out if your remote is sending anything at all.

start Showkey.exe and point your remote to the receiver and try for example the navigation buttons first "i.e. UP, Down, Left and right".

for example when you press the "UP" button you should see in showkey:

KeyID 38(0x26) - VK_UP .... etc etc...

Please report back on the above details, can you also please report back what buttons does not send anything! Then we’ll figure out what to do next :-)
Unfortunately Showkey reports that none of the remote buttons are sending at the moment. I swear they were before!

I have just tried uninstalling the Nuvoton W836x7HG CIR Device Driver in case there was some conflict with the eHome receiver driver, but Showkey still did not detect any buttons.

Thanks for your help so far. I hope this info helps some light bulbs to go on because I am stumped!

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-14

@cosmic_cam

As i expected your Asrock HTPC is using the Nuvoton chip which uses the intel CIR driver. Now there is no way to make this work like an RC6 receiver!

I am really surprised as I thougt that all asrocks use RC6 Built-in Ir receivers, I did not know that some of them has the Nuvoton chip!

Now you have two options:
1- you can live with what you have and revert to the original Regestiry settings so that your remote can work again using stock config as it can not learn because of the intel CIR driver. Then you can use showkey.exe to find what each button sends and plug the information accordingly in keyboard.xml! My keyboard.xml will not work for you btw, but do not worry I can help you with all that stuff if you want.

2- Open your case unplug the crippled IR header from the motherboard and buy a Microsoft USB IR receiver or a compatible one like the very popular HP Receiver. All you have to do is plug the receiver in and you can use your current Asrock remote with it, It will function as an RC6 set with no issues at all.

Cheers,
EG.

- cosmic_cam - 2011-04-14

@elitegamer360

That is a real bummer! Asrock 330HT-BD owners, let it be known! Thanks for laying down the options for me. I think I might choose Option 1, as I already know how to use the MCEremote addon for XBMC to edit the registry.

Know that I know what you are doing though, I'll see if I can copy all the key bindings from your tutorial (or the ones I like) and use MCEremote to bind them to the Asrock remote.

I'll report back on how this goes. I might be able to save these as a keyboard.xml file to share with other Asrock/Nuvoton users...?

Cheers.

cosmic_cam Wrote:@elitegamer360

That is a real bummer! Asrock 330HT-BD owners, let it be known! Thanks for laying down the options for me. I think I might choose Option 1, as I already know how to use the MCEremote addon for XBMC to edit the registry.

Know that I know what you are doing thoh, I'll see if I can copy all the key bindings from your tutorial (or the ones I like) and use MCEremote to bind them to the Asrock remote.

I'll report back on how this goes. I might be able to save these as a keyboard.xml file to share with other Asrock/Nuvoton users...?

Cheers.

I'm afraid this is not going to work as well! With the MCE Remote addon you can revert to your remote original settings but thats all. As I said earlier your remote wont be able to learn/reprogrammed because of the nuvoton chip, you will not be able to change any button on it.

So what you need to do is revert to the remote original settings, read what your remote sends using Showkey then edit keyboard.xml to include all the shortcut keys that your remote sends. In another-words if context menu in keyboard.xml is triggered by the letter "C" and the specific button on your remote that you want to use sends "Shft-Ctrl-M", then you are going to have to change the "C" to "Shft-Ctrl-M". showkey will give you the appropriate string to use for every button. Etc etc etc......

Cheers,
EG.

- teeedubb - 2011-04-14

cosmic_cam Wrote:@elitegamer360

Know that I know what you are doing though, I'll see if I can copy all the key bindings from your tutorial (or the ones I like) and use MCEremote to bind them to the Asrock remote.

Cheers.

Hey mate I recommend you take option two and not end up pulling your hairs out in frustration, plus HP ir receivers/remotes are cheap off ebay. I tried various methods to get my rc6 remote receiver working in xbmc, but I could never get it just right. EG's method is by far the easiest and works as it should within 5 minutes. I've tweaked my setup a little and now I have it working as I want it to.

Thanks again EG Smile

- dimzen - 2011-04-14

Hi,

I can't get the Green Button to start XBMC Sad

I followed the guide here: http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/remote.html#Green_Start_Button

I have Windows7 64-bit, so I use the script with the "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC" part.

I'v launched the script with Autohotkey (I can see the icon down in the Windows-taskbar), but my remote keeps launching MCE Sad

What to do? :S

Edit:
Ehh.. dunno why, but after restart 3 (windows updates) it works?? Tested it after each restart...

@teeedubb:
You are Welcome :-)

Yes, the HP receivers are very cheap on ebay and would make your experience trouble free. Although I can write a full script to support remotes based on the CIR driver but the problem here some buttons does not send any keyboard shortcuts or WM_APPCOMMANDS that can be captured and converted easily to what we want so its not a 100% soultion otherwise I would've done it ages ago.

@dimzen:

So its working now?

Cheers,
EG.