Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- TRaSH - 2012-01-08

i'm trying to switch from MC7+MB to XBMC.
bought my self a MS IR reciever,
because the remote of my case doesn't work with XBMC,
but does with MC7+MB+TMT3.

i'm using a logitech for the main remote control.
read most of your topic and your site.
seems you done a great job with it.
i would like to know if i would apply your reg-patch and all.
will it still work with MC7 ?
and will i still be able to control TMT3 (using the MC player)

- elitegamer360 - 2012-01-09

adrianf74 Wrote:Thanks EG for your in-depth knowledge with all of this. I ended up doing _THAT_ in order to get the MCE button to launch XBMC. I've even gotten as far as getting my Harmony Remote to talk to the ZBOX.

Good work :-)

adrianf74 Wrote:I'm only stuck on trying to figure out how to get the EXIT button on my remote to exit out of XBMC; I realize this will be a sequence so I might try and build it (that is unless you have any ideas on this but I know this goes beyond the scope of this thread).

Very easy Nod

All you have to do is find out what your exit button sends using "showkey" then use that combination in keyboard.xml! At the moment if you are in XBMC home screen and you press the "END" button on your keyboard then it will exit XBMC.

You can find this under in Keyboard.xml in the <home> <Keyboard> sub section, also comes under "Global" and "LoginScreen" but "Global" uses another command so do not worry about them.
Code:
<Home>
    <keyboard>
      <i>info</i>
      <end>XBMC.ShutDown()</end>
    </keyboard>
  </Home>
Now change this
Code:
The <end> and close command </end> to whatever your remote exit button sends.

Want more help, then post here! Wink

Cheers,
EG.

- elitegamer360 - 2012-01-09

TRaSH- Wrote:i'm trying to switch from MC7+MB to XBMC.
bought my self a MS IR reciever,
because the remote of my case doesn't work with XBMC,
but does with MC7+MB+TMT3.

i'm using a logitech for the main remote control.
read most of your topic and your site.
seems you done a great job with it.
i would like to know if i would apply your reg-patch and all.
will it still work with MC7 ?
and will i still be able to control TMT3 (using the MC player)

So, I figure because you bought an MS IR receiver and you are using a Logitech remote, then you have not made any changes to registry settings and everything works fine including XBMC! Right! Sorry you have not made that clear Rolleyes

So I guess you want your remote to work better with XBMC but you do not want to lose WM7 functionality!

If so, then you need this my friend, exact replica which I made that fully supports XBMC and WM7 including basic functionality in POWERDVD and WINDVD :-)

The above link has all what you need although I can not guarantee that you will "still be able to control TMT3 (using the MC player)" as I can not promise something that I have not tested myself.

Before you start doing anything use my "Create Registry backup tool" just unzip it to your desktop and double click on it and it will create another file on your desktop called "Custom_setup.reg" keep this in a safe place just in case you do not like what I did and you want to revert back to your own settings then you can by double clicking on "Custom_setup.reg" file.

Note: my settings will only change your reg file part of the remote and will not touch anything else, you will be safe by creating a backup first just in case you want to revert back for any reason. If you ever want to revert back to your own settings then the other apps Like Autohotkey and the scripts associated with it you can Uninstall/Delete them easily :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- TRaSH - 2012-01-10

Thnx,
i will see if i can test it this weekend,

i wonder do you got a cheat sheet with all the buttons/key you made/edited.
i tried to look at the change log but allot of things have changed.
so a cheat sheet would be nice.

- vskatusa - 2012-01-11

I have MCE remote and using on windows 7 64 bit using instructions here.

When I use the top right key (power off) button the xbmc menu comes up and I select the SUSPEND option. The laptop goes to suspend mode.

I normally open the laptop and press the space bar once to wake up the laptop. Can I wake up the laptop using the remote instead?

- adrianf74 - 2012-01-11

elitegamer360 Wrote:Good work :-)

Very easy Nod

All you have to do is find out what your exit button sends using "showkey" then use that combination in keyboard.xml! At the moment if you are in XBMC home screen and you press the "END" button on your keyboard then it will exit XBMC.

You can find this under in Keyboard.xml in the <home> <Keyboard> sub section, also comes under "Global" and "LoginScreen" but "Global" uses another command so do not worry about them.
Code:
<Home>
    <keyboard>
      <i>info</i>
    </keyboard>
  </Home>
Now change this
Code:
The <end> and close command </end> to whatever your remote exit button sends.

Want more help, then post here! Wink

Cheers,
EG.

Almost there... Been fighting a really bad virus the past few days so trying to think about computer stuff has been the furthest thing of importance.

Just thought I'd try finding out what exit sends and realize I'd made the EXIT button the "return" button so I could go back with relative ease.

So, I've remapped a customized button called "EXIT" in my programmable section and mapped it to "*". When I press this button, I'm getting the following:

<eight mod="shift">Notification(Key, eight, 3)</eight>

Is this what I would want to copy into the section above and how would this look when done up? Consider me a bit of a noob in XML. Thanks.

- elitegamer360 - 2012-01-12

TRaSH- Wrote:Thnx,
i will see if i can test it this weekend,

i wonder do you got a cheat sheet with all the buttons/key you made/edited.
i tried to look at the change log but allot of things have changed.
so a cheat sheet would be nice.

I have not created a "Cheat sheet" lol! but all the information that you might need are on my site, for example to know what each button sends then download this "Config.reg v1.25" open the file inside the zip using note pad and you should see what every button sends to XBMC like this for example the Clear button [Clear] sends the Keyboard button "Esc, or Escape" and so on:
Code:
0a,00,00,00,04,00,29,\ ; [Clear]         - Sends "escape"
  0b,00,00,00,04,00,1d,\ ; [Enter]         - Sends "Z"
  0c,00,00,00,04,00,16,\ ; [Power]         - Sends "S"
  0d,00,00,00,04,0c,28,\ ; [Windows]         - Sends "Windows-Alt-Enter"
  0e,00,00,00,04,00,41,\ ; [Mute]         - Sends "F8"
  0f,00,00,00,04,01,07,\ ; [Info]         - Sends "ctrl-D"
  10,00,00,00,04,00,43,\ ; [Vol up]            - Sends "F10"
  11,00,00,00,04,00,42,\ ; [Vol down]          - Sends "F9"
  12,00,00,00,04,00,4b,\ ; [Channel up]       - Sends "PgUp"

and this picture which is also available on this page tells you what each button actually does in XBMC.

If thats not what you are looking for then please tell me, I might misunderstood you :-)

Cheers,
EG.

vskatusa Wrote:I have MCE remote and using on windows 7 64 bit using instructions here.

When I use the top right key (power off) button the xbmc menu comes up and I select the SUSPEND option. The laptop goes to suspend mode.

I normally open the laptop and press the space bar once to wake up the laptop. Can I wake up the laptop using the remote instead?

You would need to change your (Power Off) button to suspend then so that it can suspend your Laptop and wakey it up every time you press the power button instead of it just sending "S" which brings up the XBMC Power options.

You said that you used my setup, but have you made any additional changes yourself? If not then to make it easy for you just follow the steps below, Otherwise tell me if you have your own settings!

1- download this file unzip it and open "Config.v1.25.reg" using notepad.

2- look for the string :-
Code:
0c,00,00,00,04,00,16,\ ; [Power]         - Sends "S"

3- Change it to look like this:-
Code:
0c,00,00,00,03,82,00,\ ; [Power]         - Sends "SLEEP"

4- Save the notepad, double click on the file to apply the new settings to your registry, restart your laptop. Now your (power off) button should take your laptop to suspend and wake it up.

NOTE: Not all PC's/Laptops are capable of doing this as some hardware needs to change BIOS settings or change Device Manager values, unless your hardware is recent then there is nothing to worry about!

Cheers,
EG.

adrianf74 Wrote:Almost there... Been fighting a really bad virus the past few days so trying to think about computer stuff has been the furthest thing of importance.

Just thought I'd try finding out what exit sends and realize I'd made the EXIT button the "return" button so I could go back with relative ease.

So, I've remapped a customized button called "EXIT" in my programmable section and mapped it to "*". When I press this button, I'm getting the following:

<eight mod="shift">Notification(Key, eight, 3)</eight>

Is this what I would want to copy into the section above and how would this look when done up? Consider me a bit of a noob in XML. Thanks.

I hope you are fine now Smile

Yes, you can add this string
Code:
<eight mod="shift">XBMC.ShutDown()</eight>

Below this one
Code:

and it should look like this in the xml file:

Now it depends where your xml file is! If it is in the "Appdata" then you can find it by pressing the "windows logo button" then "R" button while still holding down the "Windows logo button" on your keyboard to start the RUN window.
Paste this:-

%AppData%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps

and click ok, and its should open the folder of the keyboard.xml, if nothing in there then you are using the System folder. Then you need to locate the XBMC installation folder and you should find the keyboard.xml in here "XBMC\system\keymaps"

I would advise that you copy keyboard.xml from "XBMC\system\keymaps" to "%AppData%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps" and edit it in the " as it will be safer that way in case you mess up something :-)

See here for editing xml files!

If the "Shift-8" combination does not work for any reason try to map your button to a single letter like "e" for example and try again. but this should work anyways :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- adrianf74 - 2012-01-12

elitegamer360 Wrote:I hope you are fine now Smile

If the "Shift-8" combination does not work for any reason try to map your button to a single letter like "e" for example and try again. but this should work anyways :-)

Cheers,
EG.

Still not 100% --- feeling slightly worse today but I know this will pass. Thanks for your thoughts. Smile

So, I tried the Shift-8 and Shift-3 combos as they're both available on my remote but neither wanted to work. Had to live with "Zero" as exit. I don't really enter anything as far as timecode jumping, etc., so it's not a critical button. There was no way to add any letter like "e" the remote under Harmony's setup software (as far as I could tell).

- vskatusa - 2012-01-13

elitegamer360,

I monkeyed the reg file to SLEEP per your instructions and yes it goes to SLEEP. However, after the laptop goes to sleep the power button does not wake it up. I have the ASUS Nettop-Model 1015PN-PU17-BK.

In device manager, the IR dongle shows up as eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR) and the "Allow this device to wake the computer" is ENABLED.

Is there any other settings I must change in the BIOS for this to work? I looked at the BIOS and do not see any verbiage USB -- Can u please let me know what I am looking for in the BIOS?

- TRaSH - 2012-01-14

i would like to have a option on my remote the same the android app does,
you've the option to shutdown xbmc from every location you're
i know the "end" button shutsdown xbmc
but when i'm in my movie folder it doesn't work.
it does with the android app

i know it has todo something with
Code:

- elitegamer360 - 2012-01-15

adrianf74 Wrote:Still not 100% --- feeling slightly worse today but I know this will pass. Thanks for your thoughts. Smile

So, I tried the Shift-8 and Shift-3 combos as they're both available on my remote but neither wanted to work. Had to live with "Zero" as exit. I don't really enter anything as far as timecode jumping, etc., so it's not a critical button. There was no way to add any letter like "e" the remote under Harmony's setup software (as far as I could tell).

No worries :-)

I am affraid I do not have a Harmony remote and I do not know how to program them, but if "Zero" will do what you want then all is good Smile As you know this is an MCE Remote thread but trying to help when ever I can Wink

The only thing putting me off from buying a harmony is the lag, which is unpredictable on some remotes while others dont, so I am not wasting £££ when the MCE remote is only £ coupled with voice control is more than what I need! Therefore I do not mind using different remotes Laugh

vskatusa Wrote:elitegamer360,

I monkeyed the reg file to SLEEP per your instructions and yes it goes to SLEEP. However, after the laptop goes to sleep the power button does not wake it up. I have the ASUS Nettop-Model 1015PN-PU17-BK.

In device manager, the IR dongle shows up as eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR) and the "Allow this device to wake the computer" is ENABLED.

Is there any other settings I must change in the BIOS for this to work? I looked at the BIOS and do not see any verbiage USB -- Can u please let me know what I am looking for in the BIOS?

As I said not every Laptop or PC can do this, I would advice you look in to your BIOS under the Power settings or anything to do with keeping the USB ports Powered up when on sleep!

If there is nothing in your BIOS of this sort then you are out of luck! Unless you want to map another button and try this, It should wake your PC/Laptop from sleep/Hibernate if the normal command can not do it! Again not all PC's/Laptops support this!

1-As per last example, now lets say you want the "star" button to use the "wake" command, then look for this :-
Code:
1d,00,00,00,04,03,25,\ ; [*]         - Sends "Ctrl-shift-8"

2- Change it to look like this:-
Code:
1d,00,00,00,03,83,00,\ ; [*]         - Sends "Wake"

If that also does not work then I am affraid there's nothing we can do as the BIOS does not keep your USB ports powered after sleep/Hibernation.

TRaSH- Wrote:i would like to have a option on my remote the same the android app does,
you've the option to shutdown xbmc from every location you're
i know the "end" button shutsdown xbmc
but when i'm in my movie folder it doesn't work.
it does with the android app

i know it has todo something with
Code:

Easy, open your Keyboard.xml file and look for

Code:
<end>LastPage</end>

change it to:
Code:
<end>LastPage</end>
XX LLOLL XX when I wrote this I was sleepy and tired Big Grin

I meant change it to
Code:

Now when you press END from any location in XBMC and XBMC will shutdown! Smile

I hope this helps you all :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- bilbon0bud - 2012-01-19

Hello I have a Remote MCE RC6 under Win7 x64 and Eden Beta 1.
the remote works well except for sms style.
the key 2,7,9 works well, the key 6 reduce volume and 3,4,5,8 does nothing.
i don't understand. I follow the proces from the first page.
Thanks for your help.

- malibu327 - 2012-01-19

@EliteGamer360-On page 25 you worked with guy that bought this remote.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120547326911
Well unfortunately I did to. If I would have found this thread, it wouldnt have happened. I know you seem to have a full plate with all of us on here but if you have time I would love to have your help. I have the green start button, volume buttons, mute buttons, and "I" info buttons work with the auto hot key software and scripts you wrote(Thank you). I installed the registry file you noted on page 26 and replaced my keyboard.xml in the users/appdate folder. ALL my buttons that I want to work do work except.....The play, pause, stop, forward, and backward button. I read from page 25 till page 45 or so and it seem that the guy with this remote was happy and the info on this remote faded away.

With all that said, I ran the showkey.exe program and I was gonna try to just put it in the ahk script but showkey doesnt bring up anything when I press any of these buttons. Before I started doing any remote setup/config to my remote these were about the only buttons that worked in XBMC.