Got 1080p working, now no 720p?
HEya!

Followed this guide http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70068 to get 1080p working on my XBMC, but now my projector reports all content as being played in 1080p. I have no clue whether thats bad or not, but I just get the feeling it should report 720p?
Is there any negative effects of playing 720p in 1080? I just watched a 720p tv show at 1080, and it was a tad stuttery. Then I watched Sin City 1080p in 1080p (gorgeous, gorgeous movie!) and it was smooth as butter.
Any thoughts?
Your projector will only play things in its native resolution, which I'm guessing is 1080. It's going to upscale 720 content to 1080, or XBMC is going to upscale to 1080 depending upon how you have things set up. What resolution do you have XBMC set for? If it's 1080, that's all it's going to feed to your projector, and in turn take care of the upscaling for you. There's nothing really for you to do.
UHH no?

While it is true that by default xbmc will only send the front end resolution during video playback....

A simple settings change (settings...video... playback) to "adjust display refresh rate to match video" will force xbmc go try to switch resolution it sends based on the resolution of the source material (the pause on rate change option btw is to allow you to compensate for the time takes your output device to swap resolutions)

Thing is it is rarely better to have the device due the scaling vs the host computer (unless your host is too slow/has horrid drivers/performance it is generally better to let xbmc control scaling as it has more options than the avg tv to get it looking correct)

The real reason most people want this working.. is that they are being anal and want the tv/receiver to report the source material resolution..

the guy above me was correct that *some* devices only support native resolution and will scale most material to their native resolution anyhow..

meaning that even when your TV *says* 720p its still showing you 1920 pixels by 1080 pixels (minus overscan) since that is the only resolution the hardware in the tv can actually display..

i suggest you leave the default settings and not mess with it unless you are actually having a problem (such as a 1080 device scaling up from 720 because of a mismatch in your regular xbmc playback settings) or if you really know what your doing then tinker away!
Uhhh, display resolution != refresh rate.

The display device will always display at it's native resolution....always. Whether it does the scaling or the sending device does the scaling is what's at issue. If the display is doing the scaling it should report what's being sent to it. If XBMC is doing the scaling, the display device is always going to show 1080 as the input. It's that simple.

Never did I say that the display device will only support its native resolution. What I did say is:
Quote:Your projector will only play things in its native resolution, which I'm guessing is 1080.

I'm sorry if you misinterpreted that as me saying that it would only accept a source in the display's native resolution. I did not state that. It will only display in its native resolution.

Depending upon which has the better scaler, i.e. XBMC machine or display device, should determine how you set XBMC. If the OP has XBMC set to a resolution of 1080, then the display device will always say it's getting a 1080 signal no matter what the original source material. It's that simple. Your second paragraph makes no sense.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Got 1080p working, now no 720p?0