Win Refresh Rate Changes when switching to Desktop
I recently tried out Eden and came across the following issue:

1. Windows is started and running at 60Hz
2. I start XMBC and play a movie in fullscreen. The refresh rate is changed to 23.976Hz. So far so good.
3. I press Win+D to switch to the Desktop (XMBC goes into the background). The Refresh Rate changes back to the original 60Hz.
4. I return to the XBMC playback. The refresh rate stays at 60Hz and is not set back to 23.976Hz as it should.

This is 100% reproducible. It is not a question of the driver or anything else. For example the refresh rate changer of MediaPortal works fine as it doesn't switch the refresh rate back to something else when going out of focus.

If XMBC changes the refresh rate back to 60 when going out of focus it has to reset it back to 23.976Hz (or whatever the rate of the movie was) when coming back into focus (talking fullscreen playback here of course).

I haven't tried other combinations of changing focus or returning to GUI overlays in regards to the refresh rate. It is possible that there are additional combinations that show the same or a similar effect. But as said the described steps above behave the same on two completely different systems.

Any suggestions how to solve this? Can I configure the behavior of the refresh rate changer somewhere? Or did I stumble across a simple bug here?
I'm pretty sure it is Windows switching your refresh back to 60HZ not XBMC. XBMC switches when going from the GUI to playback and vice versa. When you switch out of the app Windows is most likely changing the refresh and XBMC is unaware of this.
When u're back from windows to XBMC, do u mean u go back to the video or film u were replaying? or just to XBMC?
If i get back from windows to XBMC, the refresh rate stays at 60. It only changes when i play a film OR if i get back to the film from windows.
Perhaps what i say is a nonsense, but just trying to close ur case better.
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
(2012-04-16, 17:36)kricker Wrote: I'm pretty sure it is Windows switching your refresh back to 60HZ not XBMC.
Win7 never touches your display settings on its own. XBMC is doing it. Trust me on this one. I supplied the patch for MediaPortal's refresh rate changer to support the new API calls for Windows 7 a few years ago.

Don't confuse this with refresh rate changes of CRT displays in regards to changing the resolution for fullscreen apps like games. That was a completely different thing back in those days.

My guess here: XBMC always jumps back to the original refresh rate under which is was started when leaving fullscreen playback. It also does this if you go to the GUI (not meaning the OSD here). Only when the "Fullscreen" command is issued to return to a playing movie the refresh rate is reset to the one of the movie.

I will test focus changes more in detail to check if XBMC behaves the same everywhere or if the Win+D from fullscreen is a special case of focus change. Once I finished all my tests I will update this post and file a proper bug report if necessary.

(2012-04-16, 19:45)vicmanpergar Wrote: When u're back from windows to XBMC, do u mean u go back to the video or film u were replaying? or just to XBMC?
Back to the film that is playing. When hitting Win+D all running software is put in the background, so XBMC is in the same state as before when returning to it.
Well, sounds like you have a good idea of what you are doing. If you find this to be true maybe you can create a patch for XBMC such as you did for MP.
hi, is there any movement in this area?
XBMCs insistence of reverting to the default refresh rate every time I fire up the GUI is quite annoying as my tv insists on flashing up the fact that the input has changed (that my be a tv setting but so far I havant found it Sad)
My guess is without a bug report on TRAC the answer would be no.
Is there any update on getting this fixed? Was there ever a bug filed? I've been having this exact problem, I can't really use the refresh rate option because of this issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Refresh Rate Changes when switching to Desktop0