Which combination of OS and XBMC variant
Hi all need some advice. I have come in to possession of an intel i3 NUC 32gb add and 8gb ram. I love XBMC and was wondering which way would be best combo of OS and XBMC would be best for it. Linux or Win 7/8 with which XBMC? Or event straight XBMC distro. Help and advice will be greatly welcomed
Welcome.

I'm afraid you're likely to get the response "it depends"... both on what you're familiar with and on what you want to do with it. Tell us more about what you're aiming to do, and you can sift through the conflicting advice after that :-)
Well I currently have a Pi running xbian XBMC. I am very familiar with ms windows software and an dable with Linux. I like Ubuntu and have that in a vm to play with. I just use the XBMC to catalogue my media and stream from the web.

Is that enough
Do you use Netflix or Amazon Instant for streaming?
TV Mosaic on Windows 10 as PVR Backend |  1 RaspberryPI 3 Client (LibreElec) | Amazon FireTV box | 5 Amazon FireTV sticks | FireTV Cube | 2 Nvidia Shield TV
Tuners: HD HomeRun 4 ATSC (OTA) | IPTV
Openelec.
If it's just XBMC - +1 for Openelec.

If you need streaming - you can apparently just about hack them into life in some form on XBMCbuntu using WINE, but Windows is far easier. With a bit of tweaking, you can get Windows to boot straight into XBMC as well, and Win8 would boot really quickly from standby on a NUC, I suspect.

If you want TV tuners - it depends on your backend, but there's a choice whichever way you go.
I would say if you just plan to run xbmc on it and that's it go with Openelec as you will get the best performance out of a machine like this i have a combination of windows and openelec machines i put openelec on the older slower machines and it works excellent and for the machines with a bit more beef in them (Triple Core AMD and Quad-Core Intel) i run Windows 8 but that is not because openelec doesnt work well on them it does but these have enough power that i can have a full OS on them so i can run xbmc but also surf the web and do other things to
Cheers gents thanks for the advice

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which combination of OS and XBMC variant0