Best Pi 2 OS for Kodi and browsing
I just bought a Raspberry Pi 2 and am looking to use it for Kodi and streaming TV shows off of the net (eg NBC).

What would be the best OS to install that would allow this? I was thinking Raspbian but read that the Midori browser can be a bit buggy.

Thank you
I'd suggest you use OpenELEC or OSMC for Kodi. Both are very good.
Seems to be an NBC add-on here.

If you want raspbian installed for web browsing or other uses, then a second sdcard is the simplest solution.
Video playback will be better through a dedicated Kodi OS compared to a browser in raspbian.
(2015-12-29, 01:22)popcornmix Wrote: I'd suggest you use OpenELEC or OSMC for Kodi. Both are very good.

If you want raspbian installed for web browsing or other uses, then a second sdcard is the simplest solution.
Video playback will be better through a dedicated Kodi OS compared to a browser in raspbian.

Thank you for your response popcornmix.

I should just clarify that NBC is not the only streaming website I would be using, it was just an example. This would be the reason that I was looking for a Pi 2 OS that would have strong browser support.

In looking at OpenELEC, I see that it doesn't have a browser for the Pi. Would that mean that Raspbian is my only choice?
Feel free to try raspbian, but video playback from browser is limited. Sites that use Flash or DRM won't work.
Youtube style sites should work, but the playback quality isn't as good as Kodi.
(2015-12-29, 09:25)ChristmasPi Wrote:
(2015-12-29, 01:22)popcornmix Wrote: I'd suggest you use OpenELEC or OSMC for Kodi. Both are very good.

Thank you for your response popcornmix.

I should just clarify that NBC is not the only streaming website I would be using, it was just an example. This would be the reason that I was looking for a Pi 2 OS that would have strong browser support.

In looking at OpenELEC, I see that it doesn't have a browser for the Pi. Would that mean that Raspbian is my only choice?

I would be surprised if NBC streaming worked in any Pi 2 browser to be honest. Chances are that a broadcaster will be using Flash and/or some form of DRM - neither of which are likely to be well supported (if at all) in a Raspberry Pi browser.

Apart from x86 Intel platforms, you are unlikely to be able to watch most streaming sites 'in browser' on ARM platforms (apart possibly from Android) For streaming stuff (like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc.) the usual recommendation is to buy a second unit like a cheap Chromecast - which you can stream from your phone - or Fire TV Stick - as a second unit for DRMed stuff (and which is a standalone solution)
(2015-12-29, 12:47)noggin Wrote: or Fire TV Stick - as a second unit for DRMed stuff (and which is a standalone solution)

With FireTV Stick, no need for second unit as it can provide all it's advertised functions AND one can install Kodi on it as well.
(2015-12-29, 17:25)ActionA Wrote:
(2015-12-29, 12:47)noggin Wrote: or Fire TV Stick - as a second unit for DRMed stuff (and which is a standalone solution)

With FireTV Stick, no need for second unit as it can provide all it's advertised functions AND one can install Kodi on it as well.

Yes - but the Kodi experience is far-from-brilliant on the Fire TV. A Raspberry Pi 2 will run Kodi with far higher quality AV playback (HD Audio, dynamic refresh rate switching including 23.976/59.94), 3D MVC + Frame Packed output etc. I tried Kodi on the Fire TV Stick briefly - but ended up giving the stick to my mum for Netflix and iPlayer, as there were too many compromises running Kodi on it, even on a bedroom TV.
Im just looking into this as well. I use the Yatse remote for Android which allows me to stream stuff to and from my Kodi box. For streaming browser content I am looking into this plugin for chrome which also will steam to a Kodi machine
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...n?hl=en-US
(2015-12-30, 03:08)kimkam Wrote: Im just looking into this as well. I use the Yatse remote for Android which allows me to stream stuff to and from my Kodi box. For streaming browser content I am looking into this plugin for chrome which also will steam to a Kodi machine
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...n?hl=en-US

Yes, if the web sites play on a mobile browser without DRM, then that is a good way of getting them playing on Kodi.
I use "Video & TC Cast for DLNA" on an iPhone and can send videos from a browser to Kodi on the Pi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Pi 2 OS for Kodi and browsing0