v17 Kodi outputting 4K regardless of display settings
I have been using Kodi for a while on an Intel NUC / Win10 computer connected to a Samsung 4K television (through a Denon amp). All the components in my system are capable of 4K (on paper at least), but as it causes some random problems (like screen blanking now and then), and the NUC gets a little sluggish, and I don't even have any 4K material, I have always used it in Full HD.

Previous versions of Kodi (up to 16.1) have worked perfectly, but after trying 17.0 and 17.1 RC1, I noticed that even when Kodi's resolution is set to 1920*1080 (at 60 FPS), the NUC is outputting 3840*2160 @ 30 FPS, according my TV's info panel, and also confirmed by the sluggishness of Kodi's GUI. In fact, I can change the resolution setting in Kodi to anything, and I can see the pixels getting bigger if I set it to something ridiculously low, but the TV still claims it's 4K.

I can "trick" Kodi into actually outputting Full HD, but it only works until the next restart. Here's the screen after booting, before starting Kodi. 1920*1080 @ 60 FPS, like it should.

I start Kodi, and suddenly my TV is getting a 4K resolution, even though Kodi's settings claim otherwise (below). No matter what resolution I choose, my TV shows the same info (4K @ 30 FPS).

If I change Kodi's display mode to windowed, the resolution _still_ stays at 4K. If I quit Kodi at this point, then the resolution switches back to Full HD. If I know start Kodi (so that it starts in windowed mode), the resolution stays in Full HD, and it stays there even if I change display mode back to fullsceen (below).

But this joy only lasts until the next restart of Kodi.. then it's back to 4K.

I found some posts about Kodi issues that could be connected to this behaviour, but I couldn't find this exact problem. I have now switched a few times back and forth between Kodi 16 and 17, and the issue always appears with 17 and goes away with 16, so I think it has to be something that has changed between the versions.

My system: Intel NUC, Core i5-5250U @ 1.60 GHz, Intel HD Graphics 6000 (driver 20.19.15.4531), Windows 10 Home.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

(I went back to Kodi 16.1 before I realized I should have posted the debug log, but I'll do the switch once again to get the log if necessary.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi outputting 4K regardless of display settings0