Subtitles: Setting a second preferred language ?
Hi,

Currently I am able to set just one preferred language for subtitles, apparently. I'd like to be able to set a secondary, perhaps even a third preferred language in my subtitles settings. Say, I natively speak the German language, I'd set the primary subtitles language for German. But I also know English and French. My comprehension of English is way better then my French, so I'd set it as second language. And French would be my third (fallback) language in Kodi.

Can this be done ?

Is this a matter of settings for the skin, of for Kodi in general ?
You should be able to set, not secondary language but IMHO multiple languages. I have at least 4 languages set. Just mark several languages in subtitle settings.
Maybe there are differences, depending on skin? Which one are you using?
Hmm, I still use 16.1 but even in 17.x there is option. It is not PREFFERED subtitle, there can be only 1 but under "download services" -> languages to download subtitles" you can specify multiple languages.
One video may contain subtitles in multiple languages, sometimes numbering up to twenty. Being able to set several preferences would really be convenient. Perhaps this is something for the future...
I'm using Kodi in my Android TV, and I would like to have a secondary preferred language for the subtitles too. I'm Swedish and have a poor hearing, so I always use subtitles. And it would be great if I could have Swedish as my primary preferred language and English as my secondary preferred language for the times when Swedish isn't available inside the video file.
I as well would like to be able to set fallback subtitle languages.

Most importantly, having a setting to playback the 1st/default subtitle if the preferred isn't found.
ie.. If "Enable Subtitles" is turned on in settings, it will play whatever it finds if the preferred language is not found.

This should fix when a language hasn't been set for the track.You would also know immediately if there was a problem loading a subtitle, or if it's  missing altogether.

Nothing worse than sitting down to watch a show and realize that the subtitles weren't configured properly and you have to manually set them for every episode, or edit them then and there before enjoying the show.

edit: After thinking on it a bit more, I guess a "Force Subtitles" option in settings makes much more sense for most people. I would still love to see some fallback languages implemented too.
This is a great idea and not only a android thing.
Guess nobody cares about subtitles Sad
One topic was about audio and the other was about subtitles, quite different things in my opinion.
(2021-04-17, 19:44)Grandmaster Wrote: One topic was about audio and the other was about subtitles, quite different things in my opinion.

One more double/crossposted post on audio and subtitles, and your account may be suspended.

This is your first warning.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles: Setting a second preferred language ?2