Best way to have a video add-on add movies and series to library?
Suppose someone would be developing an add-on for their TV provider's VPOD section, which gives access to movies and series ... What would be the best way to add these movies and series to the Kodi video library? Can an add-on do this programmatically through Python, or should it create a folder/file structure that Kodi scrapes, or is there any other elegant solution?
Unfortunately, currently there is no good way to add arbitrary items to Kodi medialibrary. You can create .strm files (plain-text files with URLs of media streams), name them according to Kodi scrapers requirements and scan them to the media library. The major problem here is that "watched"/"in progress" marks are not supported for .strm file.

If you don't really need to add anything to the media library but just want to display extended information for your media items, you can create a media plugin (for example: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Video_addon ) and add all necessary information to your list items programmatically.
Thanks! Actually the video add-on may or may not have been done already (depending on who's asking: anyone else or my TV provider, who won't allow me to produce such a thing, let alone share it). I was just curious how one would be able to have all one's movies and TV shows end up in one single library, regardless where it is stored or by whom it is provided.

It might be the case that the TV provider's service includes watched/in progress information, which then unfortunately I can't use because my TV provider won't allow it. Hypothetically speaking, this could be a great add-on.

What if I create a separate UPnP library for it? Kodi would be able to connect to it, wouldn't it? I didn't do any research yet to multiple libraries, not even sure if it's possible. It might be a clean solution though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to have a video add-on add movies and series to library?0