How to force local TV channel icons over those provided via tvheadend
I don’t find the information I am searching for in Kodi Wiki.

Problem description:
I would like to use locally stored channel logos in Kodi and not those provided by my tvheadend server. But it seems that these are preferred over locally defined channel logos. I tried resetting the texture cache, but even that didn’t solve my problem.

Rationale:
My tvheadend logos are monochrome black logos perfectly working in tvheadend’s web interface and in the iOS tvheadend client. But all modern skins expect white logos, because they all use a dark background. But such white logos wouldn’t show in any Tvh clients. That’s why I would like to use two different logo sets, one for tvheadend, one for Kodi.

Any ideas? How can I convince Kodi to prefer the locally provided channel logos, as defined in “folder with channel icons”?
Maybe the Wiki page could be updated to include this information, too?

Thanks for your help,
Ulf
Your icons must be in a format that Kodi recognizes - I know it recognizes .png files and I think .jpg as well.  But also, the icons must be named with the EXACT same name as the channel name in Tvheadend, only difference being the file extension.  Then go to Settings|LiveTV|Menu/OSD and under Icons set the Folder with channel icons to the folder that contains your icons, be sure you specify the full path to the folder.

If all those things are right then I have no idea why you aren't seeing your icons.
(2021-02-01, 12:10)oldtvwatcher Wrote: Your icons must be in a format that Kodi recognizes - I know it recognizes .png files and I think .jpg as well.  But also, the icons must be named with the EXACT same name as the channel name in Tvheadend, only difference being the file extension.  Then go to Settings|LiveTV|Menu/OSD and under Icons set the Folder with channel icons to the folder that contains your icons, be sure you specify the full path to the folder.

If all those things are right then I have no idea why you aren't seeing your icons.
Yes, I obviously followed these advices, but nevertheless are icons from my tvheadend server preferred over these locally available. That’s why I was asking how to prioritize these local icons. (The local icons work, if I assign them manually to each channel)
(2021-02-01, 13:29)UlfSchmidt Wrote: Yes, I obviously followed these advices, but nevertheless are icons from my tvheadend server preferred over these locally available. That’s why I was asking how to prioritize these local icons. (The local icons work, if I assign them manually to each channel)
What version of Kodi are you using?  I am using Leia and I'm not having to set the the icons manually for each channel.  Then again, I can't be certain that Tvheadend is even downloading icons in the first place.

In Tvheadend try going to Configuration|General|Base and at the bottom of the page in the Picon section make sure that nothing is checked or filled in.  If anything there is checked or filled in uncheck or erase it and then click Save.  Restart Tvheadend or reboot your backend.

If that makes no difference then there is one other thing you can try, under Configuration|General|Image Cache uncheck "Enabled" if it is checked, Save it, and then click the "Clear image (icon) cache" button (this might take a while if you have a lot of stored icons). This should remove all icon images from Tvheadend.  Note this is kind of a sledgehammer approach in that it will remove all icons, even program icons if you use those.  But it may resolve your problem.  I don't have any of those things enabled on my backend and I'm not having any problem getting Kodi to use my preferred channel icons, so something on your system must be different.
It seems I haven’t made myself completely clear. Sorry for that. I need two different icon sets working in parallel. One to be used within Kodi, another within tvheadend. Because tvheadend‘s web interface and iOS App works only well with dark icons, while most Kodi skins expect light icons. Tvheadend’s interface uses a white background, Kodi a dark or black background.

My idea was to have one light set of icons in use in tvheadend and another with inverted colors in Kodi. But as long as tvheadend‘s icon set overwrites Kodi‘s own icons, I’m lost...

I’m using Kodi 19 RC with aeon tayo.
(2021-02-01, 19:51)UlfSchmidt Wrote: It seems I haven’t made myself completely clear. Sorry for that. I need two different icon sets working in parallel. One to be used within Kodi, another within tvheadend. Because tvheadend‘s web interface and iOS App works only well with dark icons, while most Kodi skins expect light icons. Tvheadend’s interface uses a white background, Kodi a dark or black background.

My idea was to have one light set of icons in use in tvheadend and another with inverted colors in Kodi. But as long as tvheadend‘s icon set overwrites Kodi‘s own icons, I’m lost...

I'm having pretty much the same issue.  I think there is a cache issue. I added my nextpvr epg and kodi gave each channel a placeholder logo (it looks like a little black tv). I directed kodi to the logo folder and scanned. Nothing happened. The logos are all the correct size and naming. Not sure what to do next was looking at the "texture cache maintenance utility" but seems difficult and not sure there is a place for channel logos. The next option that I can see is to delete the thumbnails database and thumbnails folder.

Did you have any luck since this post?
(2021-04-15, 22:20)mjccox Wrote:
(2021-02-01, 19:51)UlfSchmidt Wrote: It seems I haven’t made myself completely clear. Sorry for that. I need two different icon sets working in parallel. One to be used within Kodi, another within tvheadend. Because tvheadend‘s web interface and iOS App works only well with dark icons, while most Kodi skins expect light icons. Tvheadend’s interface uses a white background, Kodi a dark or black background.

I'm having pretty much the same issue.  I think there is a cache issue. I added my nextpvr epg and kodi gave each channel a placeholder logo (it looks like a little black tv). I directed kodi to the logo folder and scanned. Nothing happened. The logos are all the correct size and naming. Not sure what to do next was looking at the "texture cache maintenance utility" but seems difficult and not sure there is a place for channel logos. The next option that I can see is to delete the thumbnails database and thumbnails folder.

Did you have any luck since this post?
I had to manually select and assign the logo to be used for each and every TV channel. A little bit boring, this task, but afterwards, it works. Just give it a try by manually assigning at least one logo. If it works for you as well for one logo, then just repeat the logo selection from your local logo folder for all...
I have a slightly different problem. I'm running tvheadend 4.3-2010~g3b1d7a928 on a dedicated server and I have properly configured the channel logos I want. I do see them displayed as I want them using TvhClient in iOS or when using Kodi 18.9 (libreelec 9.2.6 I believe). I recently installed Kodi 19.4 on two windows PCs (win 10 and win 11) and on two libreelec (10.0.2) machines running Kodi 19.4 on all the TV clients.

Even though TVH is exactly the same and still works e.g for iOS I don't see the channel icons any more in Kodi. Is this a known bug? Is there a fix? I started to play with the channel managers folder to add icons but I so far was not able to figure our the naming scheme hence I would have to manually add each icon (150 icons on 4 machines, not exactly what I intend to do though).

Bernd

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to force local TV channel icons over those provided via tvheadend0