[Apple TV] laggy menus / ssd?
Hi all

I'm aware that xbmc can be a little stuttery on ATV Osx (especially when scanning for new media or incrementing the total media time in the movie/tv screens - out of interest, can I turn the latter off?) but has anybody added a ssd to the atv?

An 80gb would most likely do me I reckon so not too costly if it improves things massively. Or is the lag down to poor CPU? Memory?

Interestingly my 160gb atv seems noticeably snappier than the 40gb - did they use better hard drives? Or more memory?

Both have identical installs with same tweaks etc....

Thanks!
M
monty77uk Wrote:Hi all

I'm aware that xbmc can be a little stuttery on ATV Osx (especially when scanning for new media or incrementing the total media time in the movie/tv screens - out of interest, can I turn the latter off?) but has anybody added a ssd to the atv?

An 80gb would most likely do me I reckon so not too costly if it improves things massively. Or is the lag down to poor CPU? Memory?

Interestingly my 160gb atv seems noticeably snappier than the 40gb - did they use better hard drives? Or more memory?

Both have identical installs with same tweaks etc....

Thanks!
M

Just for the record I tried a 60Gb SSD in the ATV yesterday. While the menus were smoother both in native ATV and XBMC the drawing of poster art, covers etc.. was the same. I've put a 500Gb SATA drive in there now, more practical and a lot cheaper.

Cheers,
Monty
monty77uk Wrote:Just for the record I tried a 60Gb SSD in the ATV yesterday. While the menus were smoother both in native ATV and XBMC the drawing of poster art, covers etc.. was the same. I've put a 500Gb SATA drive in there now, more practical and a lot cheaper.

I am also considering to put a SSD into my ATV. Help me understand what's the difference between "smoother menus" and "drawing of poster art"? Given Crystal HD, movies play well and I am trying to optimize ATV menus being snappier (which I would say needs to include fanart showing right away and not after 1sec).

Any thought?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:I am also considering to put a SSD into my ATV. Help me understand what's the difference between "smoother menus" and "drawing of poster art"? Given Crystal HD, movies play well and I am trying to optimize ATV menus being snappier (which I would say needs to include fanart showing right away and not after 1sec).

Any thought?

The menus were quicker to respond (navigation) but poster art was still sluggish. SSD didn't improve things enough IMO, waste of money, I sold my ATV in the end and got an ATV2.

HTH
Monty
AppleTV1 = 500Gb SATA HDD, Broadcom BCM970015 w/XBMC
AppleTV2 = Stock 160Gb HDD w/XBMC
monty77uk Wrote:The menus were quicker to respond (navigation) but poster art was still sluggish. SSD didn't improve things enough IMO, waste of money, I sold my ATV in the end and got an ATV2.

Interesting, how difficult is it to change to SSD in ATV and did you follow any step-by-step guide online? Link?

I actually currently have 3 HTPCs (ATV1 with Crystalbuntu, ATV2, 2009 Mac Mini with SSD). I am just not succeeding to get the ATV2 running (buffering, etc.) and (even if) it would not output 1080p.

The Mini (core2duo with SSD) is by far the fastest when it comes to menus. The menus are a dream and I don't notice any transition whatsoever. Also, it is the only of the 3, which is truly stable. However, some 1080p don't play perfect.

Funny enough, the ATV1 (with Crystal HD on Linux) plays movies the very best. All 1080p ones play 100% smooth, very impressive! Menus are sluggish though. Last but not least, it is even quieter than the Mini, which is truly appreciate.

I am now trying to decide what are the 2 HTPCs to continue active use. My current thinking:

HTPC-1 - keep the ATV1

HTPC-2 - get either the latest Mini or yet another ATV1. I always sure that I would buy the Mini once out, but now I had to read that it doesn't support HW acceleration. C'mon Apple...

If I buy yet another ATV1, I would have a spare SSD (from my Mini), which I could put into the ATV. Just don't want to spend what is probably substantial effort without any noticeable change in performance...

Any thought is being appreciated!!!

P.S. Is it even possible given IDE vs SATA? How did you get around this?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
steve1977 Wrote:Interesting, how difficult is it to change to SSD in ATV and did you follow any step-by-step guide online? Link?

I actually currently have 3 HTPCs (ATV1 with Crystalbuntu, ATV2, 2009 Mac Mini with SSD). I am just not succeeding to get the ATV2 running (buffering, etc.) and (even if) it would not output 1080p.

The Mini (core2duo with SSD) is by far the fastest when it comes to menus. The menus are a dream and I don't notice any transition whatsoever. Also, it is the only of the 3, which is truly stable. However, some 1080p don't play perfect.

Funny enough, the ATV1 (with Crystal HD on Linux) plays movies the very best. All 1080p ones play 100% smooth, very impressive! Menus are sluggish though. Last but not least, it is even quieter than the Mini, which is truly appreciate.

I am now trying to decide what are the 2 HTPCs to continue active use. My current thinking:

HTPC-1 - keep the ATV1

HTPC-2 - get either the latest Mini or yet another ATV1. I always sure that I would buy the Mini once out, but now I had to read that it doesn't support HW acceleration. C'mon Apple...

If I buy yet another ATV1, I would have a spare SSD (from my Mini), which I could put into the ATV. Just don't want to spend what is probably substantial effort without any noticeable change in performance...

Any thought is being appreciated!!!

P.S. Is it even possible given IDE vs SATA? How did you get around this?

SSD transplant (or any SATA drive for that matter) wasn't easy:

...you need to find a small SATA>IDE adapter, trim the exhaust fan, trim the IDE cable ends and be extremely careful on assembly to get it to fit - but it does fit Smile

I ditched XBMC completely .. back when I had my kit I just couldn't get it to be 100% stable, there always seemed to be something up with it, so I got bored and went back to letting iTunes run the show. I also invested in an ElgatoHD encoder which made conversion bearable.

Monty
AppleTV1 = 500Gb SATA HDD, Broadcom BCM970015 w/XBMC
AppleTV2 = Stock 160Gb HDD w/XBMC
monty77uk Wrote:SSD transplant (or any SATA drive for that matter) wasn't easy:

...you need to find a small SATA>IDE adapter, trim the exhaust fan, trim the IDE cable ends and be extremely careful on assembly to get it to fit - but it does fit Smile

Indeed sounds like a pain in the neck to transplant it. Plus additional work to clone the SSD before putting it in... Are you still using your ATV1 or would you be interested to sell it (without the HD)?

monty77uk Wrote:I ditched XBMC completely .. back when I had my kit I just couldn't get it to be 100% stable, there always seemed to be something up with it, so I got bored and went back to letting iTunes run the show. I also invested in an ElgatoHD encoder which made conversion bearable.

What is ElgatoHD and what do you use it for?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] laggy menus / ssd?0