XBMC Aeon Win7 Front-end: Custom build or ZBOX?
Hi folks, as usual I'm a long-time lurker first time poster...

I've been running XBMC for a while on an full-sized PC in the family room (AMD something with HD3300 integrated graphics). I recently upgraded to 10.0 and made the switch to the Aeon skin. Now everything is beautiful but sadly slow and Blu-Ray rips are choppy. So I need to move this htpc to the bedroom and get an upgrade... (Yes, I could get a discrete graphics card but it wouldn't be as much fun now would it?)

The only thing that I will be using this new PC for is watching HD video with DTS audio (HDMI out to the receiver). Some will be from Blu-Ray rips and the rest will be 1080i content recorded on another HTPC using BeyondTV. No gaming required. All content will come from a media server across a gigabit ethernet connection.

I want something that looks like it belongs with the rest of my home theatre gear and is fairly small and quiet. I like the look of a lot of the Atom/Ion pre-built systems like the ZBOX.

But while I'm pretty sure that a ZBOX could handle all the playback that I need I'm unsure as to whether or not it is powerful enough to do all that and have Aeon running with all the bells and whistles.

So do I need a custom build or can I use something like a ZBOX? My budget is flexible, but I'd like to keep it under $600 (otherwise I might get that ASRock sytem that poofyhairguy has linked to a couple of times).

Any advice guys?
As far as the Zbox is concerned, I know the Atom CPU is limiting the navigation experience on advanced skins like Aeon. It works fine with most other though but if your main target is the Aeon Skin, you may need to go for a custom build based on something more powerful like an i3.

If you can stretch for the ASRock Vision 3D, that little toy is indeed impressive.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Aeon Win7 Front-end: Custom build or ZBOX?0