HTPC & Media Server/NAS advice
There's CAT7, you know that?
Does it mean a cat7 is automatically faster than a cat5e or cat6 cable?
Or/And does it have to be supported by the mobo of the devices?
oneFuru Wrote:Does it mean a cat7 is automatically faster than a cat5e or cat6 cable?
Or/And does it have to be supported by the mobo of the devices?

If you want a specific technical explanation then just google 'UTP Cable Standards' and you'll find more than you'd ever want to know. But here's the bottom line as I see it as far as the max speed the cable should be used for.

Cat 5e: 100 mbps
Cat6: 1000 mbps (1 gigabit)
Cat7: 10,000 mbps (10 gigabit)

In order to achieve a 1 gigabit network transfer speed everything in the communication path must support that speed. So that would be the NICs in the transmitter and receiver, the cabling, and all the network management devices (router, switch, hub, etc). Devices that support 100/1000 mbps speeds are widely available to the consumer today. If you wanted to achieve 10 gigabit network speeds then you'd be looking at a LOT more $$$ for essentially no benefit because unRAID can't serve data at that rate. For unRAID (and really most other NAS solutions) gigabit it the most you need.

A good analogy for this would be hooking a 4-inch fire hose to the outdoor faucet on your house - you're not going to see any more flow than you would with a regular garden hose because the faucet is supplied by a 1/2-inch pipe inside your house. So putting cat7 cabling in your house is not worth it in my mind.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
CAT5e is actually good for 1 Gig Ethernet...
I have to agree with Waveknight. Everything here is cabled with CAT5e and GBit LAN is no issue for it. Just wanted to point CAT7 out since he said CAT6 would be the best.
I agree with Waveknight also. If you reread my post it indicates that my statements were "as I see it" - meaning in my opinion. Sure technically cat5e is rated for gigabit speeds but I'd prefer to use cat6. Essentially my advice would be if you already have your home wired with cat5e then there is no reason to upgrade to cat6 - unless you encounter a specific problem that drives you to upgrade. But if you're looking at installing a network in your home today and you want support for gigabit speeds I would not use cat5e I would use cat6. The price difference is not that much at all. Plus cat6 will give you limited support for 10 Gbps speeds.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Since I'm about to move and have to start from scratch anyway, I'll probably go for cat6 and of course a Gbit Router.

Edit: Was thinking about a solution to spin up the array, and I think EventGhost will do the trick. I plan on using it anyway so I could just add that at sartup it searches for the files i place on each drive or something. And repeat the process at an smaller intervall than the time before idling so they keep spinning as long as the HTPC is on.
wsume99 Wrote:@tovia - That's exactly where I am now. Just waiting to bust the 4TB limit and then I'll get a pro license. However I believe that the preferred method is still to have these apps on a drive that is not in the array or the cache drive either. I've read posts about how you can encounter problems trying to stop the array when you have sab/SB/CP running on the cache drive because of difficulty shutting these processes down. Since I don't have a cache drive I don't know all the details so you'll have to read more about that if/when you cross that bridge.

Sab and sickbeard are now running from a non-array drive and no major issue issues so far.. Only issue is that since sickbeard is running as root, file and folder owner is set to root and some weird permissions are applied to files and i can't see the files or delete them over SMB.

I didn't install them from Unmenu, but followed these instructions instead http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.ph...ed_servers

If i use sab's builtin postprocessing script and sorting all is well. Permissions for completed downloads is set to 777 but since sickbeard ignores this i guess i'll have to see if running these apps as a nobody helps. I've seen this issue mentioned on Unraid forums somewhere..
Choque Wrote:I have to agree with Waveknight. Everything here is cabled with CAT5e and GBit LAN is no issue for it. Just wanted to point CAT7 out since he said CAT6 would be the best.

Yeah dont worry Choque. The CAT7 standard actually was new to me so thanks for bringing me up to speed. As said before with the current routers there wil be no noticable difference between 5e, 6 and 7 though.
toiva Wrote:Sab and sickbeard are now running from a non-array drive and no major issue issues so far.. Only issue is that since sickbeard is running as root, file and folder owner is set to root and some weird permissions are applied to files and i can't see the files or delete them over SMB.

I didn't install them from Unmenu, but followed these instructions instead http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.ph...ed_servers

If i use sab's builtin postprocessing script and sorting all is well. Permissions for completed downloads is set to 777 but since sickbeard ignores this i guess i'll have to see if running these apps as a nobody helps. I've seen this issue mentioned on Unraid forums somewhere..

toiva, i will be setinng up my unRaid build this weekend and am trying to get all my ducks in a row.... I also want to run SAB and SB from a non-array drive. I cant seem to find any good walk through for setting up a non-array drive. Any suggestions? Also, the instructions you linked... all you changed

cd /mnt/cache

changed to...

cd /mnt/Huh?
Just plug it in, use fdisk to create a partition table and a partition, and create a reiserfs filesystem on that partition. You can then mount the partition everytime you reboot with a small Go script modification.

If your non-array partition is sdb1 you would add something like this to your Go script:

mkdir /mnt/something
mount -t reiserfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/something

If you install them using these instructions http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.ph...ed_servers you would simply replace every /mnt/cache with /mnt/something.

I got the apps running as a nobody and all is well. Only thing to do is to see if i can make the non-array drive spin down automatically when not in use. I thought that it wouldn't spin down if the sab/beard logs are stored to it. I tested Unmenu's spindown command it actually does spin down.

I don't know if there's any practical use for spinning it down, sab and sb will propably be checking new stuff every hour, so it would constantly spin up and down.
toiva Wrote:I don't know if there's any practical use for spinning it down, sab and sb will propably be checking new stuff every hour, so it would constantly spin up and down.
That's why I used a 500GB laptop HDD for my non-array drive. I just let it run constantly. It uses less power when it's spinning than a 3.5" HDD uses when it's spun down.
toiva Wrote:Just plug it in, use fdisk to create a partition table and a partition, and create a reiserfs filesystem on that partition. You can then mount the partition everytime you reboot with a small Go script modification.

If your non-array partition is sdb1 you would add something like this to your Go script:

mkdir /mnt/something
mount -t reiserfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/something

If you install them using these instructions http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.ph...ed_servers you would simply replace every /mnt/cache with /mnt/something.

I got the apps running as a nobody and all is well. Only thing to do is to see if i can make the non-array drive spin down automatically when not in use. I thought that it wouldn't spin down if the sab/beard logs are stored to it. I tested Unmenu's spindown command it actually does spin down.

I don't know if there's any practical use for spinning it down, sab and sb will propably be checking new stuff every hour, so it would constantly spin up and down.

Awesome, thanks!

Then to move the files onto the array I would set sickbeard's post processing script to send them to something like. /mnt/shares/tv ?
That's right. In version 5 betas the user shares are mounted under /mnt/user/.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC & Media Server/NAS advice0