Some Questions
Hello,

I currently have an ASrock ION 330-HT with Ubuntu 10.04 and XBMC.

1. I am looking for ways to make the OS lighter if possible. I have heard good comments for Linux Mint and that it is more light than Ubuntu. Can anyone elaborate on this and if XBMC has any issues with it? Also do you think i will have problems with the ASROCK remote or not on Linux Mint? It is workingon Ubuntu.

2. I am currently downloading all my movies in another PC and then transferring them to the ASrock with tunnelier. Is there an easier way someone would do things? I heard about people running the bittorrent on that machine and a program/script that fixes the file and moves it to the according folder automatically or such. Is there such a thing, and is there a guide?

Thanks a lot in advance
I won't be much help with #1 but check out this thread for #2 http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70530
TV: VIZIO E-Series 43”
HTPC: Raspberry Pi 3
STORAGE: Windows 8 Server with DrivePool (Currently with 24TB)
I use and have installed Linux Mint 10 for friends without problems. For me it was the easiest way to use Linux. Small learning curve with instant gratification. The remote (LIRC) settings I used is WMC (RC6). Unless you have a different remote or receiver, I don't know why you would have a problem.
Works fine with XBMC on the 6 systems I set up.

Question I would ask, if it works - why or what do you need to fix?
I use Mint 10 KDE. Worked great with XBMC (I now boot from USB thumbdrive with OpenElec on it). I still use Mint KDE 10 and as of now it's my favorite distro. However, if your main objective is to have something lighter, I'm not sure it will be, at least not significantly.

If you need something light, one possible path is to use a lighter window manager, like Fluxbox or XFCE.

Alternatively, if you only use XBMC, try OpenElec. It's very fast to boot (~20s with my USB thumbdrive).
Ubuntu minimal starts as a hefty 12 MB ISO.

Can't get much lighter than that. Laugh
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Basically i know that ubuntu minimal is the way to go for light system, though i want to have a GUI.

Maybe i should give Linux Mint a try.

The reason is mostly because i just have a difficult time getting around ubuntu and would like something more windows friendly.
Then try Linux Mint LXDE. Lightest Mint distro I think.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some Questions0