Win Onkyo TX-NR509 reciever: HDMI handshake when launching video.
I've got this annoying issue with my setup. Firstly I'm running a Biostar Nvidia GeForce 210 video card, connected via HDMI to my Onkyo TX-NR509 receiver. The TV (AOC 32") is connected via HDMI to the receiver. I can browse around on the XBMC's menus okay, but when I launch a video usually the screen will go blank for a few seconds and when it comes back my TV displays "HDMI 1" as if I just selected that source (or something was just connected to it). Now this never happened when I had the computer connected directly to the TV via HDMI, so clearly this is something the receiver is doing. Likewise if I stop the video, I'll see the XBMC menu for a split second, the screen goes blank again for a few seconds and then returns to normal. Also the HDMI indicator on the receiver will usually flash while this is occurring, indicating that it's receiving audio via HDMI (as opposed to an analog signal).

This does not happen if I launch a video directly into MPC-HC from XBMC (I have MPC-HC set up as an external player), bit it sometimes will happen when I close MPC-HC, even if it's a windowed instance. It also happens outside of XBMC, like if I log out of windows, for example.

I'm just wondering if there's a video card setting I'm missing that would prevent this. For all i know it could have something to do with the audio, or it's switching resolutions and I'm just not aware of it.

Anyone seen this happen?
I have had bit of experience with Onkyo receivers(TX-NR509, 609, 709) They all seem to have some issues with HDMI(handshaking, and many other video problems)

Have you updated the firmware on the receiver?
Some things to try:

1) Use MonInfo to create an .inf file with the EDID info and then install that .inf file (has worked for some people)
2) Buy an HDMI detective (it's $86 on amazon, but has fixed hdmi issues for several people)
Yeah the firmware's already current. I just wish I knew what was causing this bizarre behavior.
sialivi,

That's some helpful information there, thanks. Seems like the HDMI detective is what I need, but I'll experiment with some free-solutions before I plunk down the cash for it. I do have some audio-loss problems (god forbid I turn off the TV while the HTPC is playing music, the receiver freaks out) and white-snow occasionally.
Not sure if this is related:

What do those of you with Onkyo AVR connected to your Windows 7 computer with XBMC do when you're running XBMC, but then decide to check something on a different TV HDMI input for a few minutes and then go back to XBMC?

My Windows 7 computer with a GF 570 is connected to my Onkyo 807. The AVR is hooked to HDMI input 2 of my Sony LCD.
When I switch my Sony TV to a different input, for example to watch TV on HDMI 1 (Dreambox), and then go back to HDMI 2 then all I see on my Sony LCD is the Desktop with the XBMC window having moved to my TFT computer screen.

My solution for this is the following:
Before changing the HDMI input on the TV I switch the AVR from the PC source (in my case GAME) to a different one (for example DVD/BD). After having done that, I can safely change the HDMI port without losing the XBMC window, though I noticed that it only seems to work until Nvidia driver 285.62. Doesn't work with newer drivers.

Anyone else?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Onkyo TX-NR509 reciever: HDMI handshake when launching video. 0