Refresh rate Changes in Full Screen Mode
I've seen tons of threads regarding choppy playback, and regret having to post yet another choppyplayback question, but I havent' been able to resolve it from the FAQ and other thread sugestions I've seen thus far.

I riped the movie Act of Valor from blu ray to a MKV file using MakeMKV.
I then added it to XBMC and it played great.
MakeMKV does not recompress the movie and to save sapce I then recompressed it using FreeMake to a 1080p mkv file with 2 pass encoding.
This file plays fine in VLC and plays fine in XBMC in the background while I'm looking at the Menu.
However, when the movie is in fullscreen it really choppy and unwatchable.
I messed with the obvious setting like disabling fake fullscreen mode and scyn refresh rate to display etc.

When I turned on degbuging I notticed the fps were different in the 2 different modes.
In the background mode the fps was fixed at 100 and the image was smooth
In background mode the fps was fixed and the picture was smooth
In fullscreen mode the fps jumped all over the place between 30-60 and was never constant.

Why is the refresh rate different while the image is in fullscreen or if the image is in the background while the menu is visable?
I've tried checking and unchecking the sync video play and it doesn't seem to do anything.

My display is set to 1920x1080 fps 60p

I will get the log file and media info on the file tonight an post it as I know that will be helpfull.
the system XMBC is runnign on is a a new i7 3770S using the HD4000 integrated graphics, w 8G of ram.

Thanks for any help, and my apologies for the post if I missed something obvious that already posted.

Sorry guys, I got it figured out.

Deinterlacing was forced on and created the issue.
I was not suspecting Deniterlacing was causing the frame rate to change it was the one setting I didn't mess with.

The FPS still changes to 100 while the menu is displayed which I don't get at all?
However with the deinterlacing turned off the video plays smoothly and has a steady frame rate.

Thank you very much for posting your answer TexasRaptor! I'm using Kodi 15.0 and just upgraded my operating system. After the upgrade I was suddenly facing a similar issue. In windowed mode Kodi was very smooth as always, but as soon as I switched to full screen mode, the FPS dropped considerably which resulted in choppy menu's, transition effects, and visualizations (video playback was fine though). It turns out there was a similar option which was causing this: System > Settings > System > (Settings level: Expert) > Video output > Vertical blank sync.

For me it was set to "Let driver choose". I set it to "Disabled" and the problem was solved.
(2015-08-16, 23:03)kagutaba Wrote: Thank you very much for posting your answer TexasRaptor! I'm using Kodi 15.0 and just upgraded my operating system. After the upgrade I was suddenly facing a similar issue. In windowed mode Kodi was very smooth as always, but as soon as I switched to full screen mode, the FPS dropped considerably which resulted in choppy menu's, transition effects, and visualizations (video playback was fine though). It turns out there was a similar option which was causing this: System > Settings > System > (Settings level: Expert) > Video output > Vertical blank sync.

For me it was set to "Let driver choose". I set it to "Disabled" and the problem was solved.

I don't recommend this, this will cause tearing, you should instead put it on "Always on", and try fullscreen on/off.
(2012-07-18, 18:51)TexasRaptor Wrote: I've seen tons of threads regarding choppy playback, and regret having to post yet another choppyplayback question, but I havent' been able to resolve it from the FAQ and other thread sugestions I've seen thus far.

I riped the movie Act of Valor from blu ray to a MKV file using MakeMKV.
I then added it to XBMC and it played great.
MakeMKV does not recompress the movie and to save sapce I then recompressed it using FreeMake to a 1080p mkv file with 2 pass encoding.
This file plays fine in VLC and plays fine in XBMC in the background while I'm looking at the Menu.
However, when the movie is in fullscreen it really choppy and unwatchable.
I messed with the obvious setting like disabling fake fullscreen mode and scyn refresh rate to display etc.

When I turned on degbuging I notticed the fps were different in the 2 different modes.
In the background mode the fps was fixed at 100 and the image was smooth
In background mode the fps was fixed and the picture was smooth
In fullscreen mode the fps jumped all over the place between 30-60 and was never constant.

Why is the refresh rate different while the image is in fullscreen or if the image is in the background while the menu is visable?
I've tried checking and unchecking the sync video play and it doesn't seem to do anything.

My display is set to 1920x1080 fps 60p

I will get the log file and media info on the file tonight an post it as I know that will be helpfull.
the system XMBC is runnign on is a a new i7 3770S using the HD4000 integrated graphics, w 8G of ram.

Thanks for any help, and my apologies for the post if I missed something obvious that already posted.

MakeMKV prioritizes Audio over Video, thus it will remove frames which aren't synced with audio.

This is very common on the newest bluray movies, i played back a untouched blu-ray and Audio was fluctuating at 95% (With MakeMKV Audio is always at 99% and instead video is fluctuating).

I recommend playing the movie via the bluray structure, but remove all the unnecessary videos in /stream folder and playlists in /playlist, some blu-ray movies however use several movies synced together (UNRATED) movies usually, you need to know which .m2ts is extra/bonus and which one is the movie.

To get perfect playback enable "sync playback to display" and play the original blu-ray, instead of dropping frames to keep audio in sync audio will now get duped.

Kodi will detect the playlist files, if they are synced together several of them will show up as same movie, if you want to save space you can remove all the /stream files which aren't synced with the movie (you can check via kodi which file/files is the movie and which ones are not).

I have tinkered a LOT with smooth playback, and it's incredibly hard, for me it was correct color output, correct Hz, sync video to display, disabled TV corrections, original blu-ray(untouched) folder + disabled hardware acceleration.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Refresh rate Changes in Full Screen Mode0