720p?
Hi all,

I am looking at 32" TVs for my bedroom, planning on running XBMC on an HTPC to feed it. I have DVD and BluRay content on a media server.

720p LED 32" TVs are extremely cheap, and I'm wondering the pros and cons (if any) of going with a lower res TV. Will XBMC display properly? Menus readable, etc?

Will the TV be working "extra hard" to downconvert a BluRay? Will they even display?

Thanks.

At 32", a 720p tv will be just fine.

XBMC will display just fine on a 720p display.

Yes, your 1080p content will work on a 720p display. The scalers inside the TV will take care of everything. While it won't be a perfect reproduction of the 1080p source material, you'd be hard pressed to notice (i imagine) on a 32" display.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I'm not sure about other people, but the vast majority of my video content is 720 and under. I've got 1080 TVs and kind of wish I had just gotten 720 TVs and saved money (or gotten a larger screen, etc).

Movies will often go to 1080, but most TV content (what I watch most often) is 720 max.

The other thing is, on a 32 inch screen you have to be sitting pretty close to notice the difference between 1080 and 720.
(2012-10-20, 04:24)Ned Scott Wrote: The other thing is, on a 32 inch screen you have to be sitting pretty close to notice the difference between 1080 and 720.

...Like nose pressed against the screen! Big Grin
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I can tell the difference if I use a magnifying glass.
if I use binoculars, I can tell too.
As an actual data point ...

I watch anime on a 720p 32" TV. I sit just over 2 metres away from the TV.

- I cannot tell the difference between 1080p (scaled down) and 720p material. They both look essentially perfect.

- 576p material appears blurrier than 720p material, but definitely watchable.

- There is a significant difference between 720p and 480p material. 480p material appears blocky. It's still watchable, but it's annoying.

- Anything less than 480p is essentially unwatchable.

In comparison, I have a 1080p 40" TV which I sit about 3 metres away from. It's almost entirely used for watching live action or 1080p animation (Pixar movies,etc).

- The difference between 1080p and 720p material at that distance is minimal. Doing a high-quality encode from a Blu-Ray source I have to look really hard to see any difference.

- 576p (PAL DVD) looks fine. A bit blurry, but nothing too annoying.

- 480p live action is a little blurry (there's a marked difference between it and 720p) but completely watchable. The fact that it's live action hides a lot of flaws that show up in anime.

- 360p is watchable if the source material is good, but blurry and often pixellated. I don't want to watch anything < 480p on that TV if I can avoid it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
720p?0