Upgrading Silverstone case to fanless/silent
Hello,

I just need a bit of advice. I have a Silverstone LC11s case at the moment, which runs my HTPC running Windows 7 media center, an OS drive and one hard drive with all my media on it. I built the system about 5 years ago and am looking to upgrade it to run XBMC as it now has more options for live tv with a freeview card. I want to keep the case as it looks nice in the lounge. I will be taking the drive with the media on out and putting that in a NAS, so the box will just run XBMC and stream movies/tv from the NAS.

I want to know if its possible to change the motherboard and processor and have it passively cooled? I've done a bit of research and think that I would need a new case to be able to do this? Any input would be great.

Thanks
Hey,

You may struggle to make it truly passive as you said because the case is missing heat sink radiators. You could make the box really really quiet though.

I have just built a system with the silverstone gd04, I used a fanless seasonic psu, and the amd a4-5300 processor -- I was going to upgrade the stock cooler but that is pretty quiet with the amd cool and quiet stuff turned on. I also have 3 scythe 120 mm s-flex's running through a fan-mate on the lowest settings. The system runs really cool and most importantly quiet. You'll probably get a better air flow in the lc11 too as the gd04 is very (and I mean very) tight inside.

if you want to go completly passive then you'd have to go with the streacom cases, which look awesome (but are quite pricey)

Hope this helps.
Don't fooled into thinking that you can't have a cool-n-quite HTPC by only going with passive cooling.
There are many of us here that can attest to the fact that a good CPU Cooler can provide basically silent and cool operation.

Consider one of these CPU Coolers: Scythe BIG SHURIKEN 2 Rev B. 5-Heatpipe Universal Low Profile CPU Cooler, or the
Cooler Master GeminII M4 - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes

I use both coolers and you can not hear a thing, and my temps are very low,..even running an A10 in one of them.
In fact,..my A6 has no other fans (well okay the PSU has a fan), but the system is silent.

See my link below to both systems.
I have tried to silence it a bit with new quiet case fans. I will have a look at the fanless PSUs and one of the CPU coolers, depending on the processor I go for.

Thanks
Check also Hdplex H5 or H10 fanless chassis. I have a H3 - see my signature.
You can find a lot of very nice passive cases in this site- passive.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-03-26, 16:23)ZetBv Wrote: Check also Hdplex H5 or H10 fanless chassis. I have a H3 - see my signature.

I can see this getting expensive! Was only going to upgrade the innards, but that case does look nice.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading Silverstone case to fanless/silent0