Linux Dual Screen Issue
Hi guys, new forum member and long time XBMC user.

I house is setup as follows. One HTPC running Linux Mint 16/4gb ram/2x2TB HDDs, It has one 50' LCD TV connected to it through an HDMI cable and i have another 36' (i think, it may be 32') LED TV on the bedroom, i connect that tv to the HTPC on the living room with a really long HDMI cable running through the walls. when i want to watch tv on the living room i have to power off the HTPC and plug in the correct HDMI cable and the boot it up again.

My question is, is there a way to simplify? i dont want to be switching cables every time i want to move from the bedroom to the living room.

I know there's an option within the XBMC system settings where you can select what monitor to use, but when i have both plugged in it shows half of XBMC on one screen and half on the other.

I would appreciate any help.
Probably the best solution would be to set up a multi-seat system with two completely separate X servers, but what I have done (because its easier and it works for me), is to set up three separate X screens. XBMC can then be switched around three monitors by simply selecting the desired DVI output in its settings.

XBMC normally runs on DVI1-1 which is the output to my tv, and my PC monitor runs on DVI1-0, but I can switch it between both as required and it auto resizes correctly as well (monitor is old 4:3) . DVI1-2 will be output to the kitchen TV when I've finished, but I've already had it connected temporarily for a proof of concept and it works. The only reason I haven't implemented it yet, is that I think a multi-seat option would be better, but I haven't finished researching into that yet.

But for you, one X server, with two X screens should do just what you want.
Thanks for the replay, how do i achieve one x server with two x screens?? will i be able to switch the display within the xbmc settings?
What graphics card are you running ?? It's dead easy under Nvidia (which is what I have) but I imagine the scenario with AMD or Intel won't be too different. Yeah, you should be able to switch between monitors in XBMC's settings although this might depend on which build of XBMC you are running.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux Dual Screen Issue0