Looking for recommendations on current/future equpiment setup
Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum because I am looking to take the next step on getting my current hardware setup properly and possible upgrade some features.

Here's what I currently have:
ATV2 Jailbroken w/ Kodi 14.0. Don't currently use due to HD crash issue
Media Laptop w/ Kodi 14.0 running on top of Windows, hooked up to tv via HDMI utilizing Harmony 650 remote & Wireless HP keyboard/mouse combo. This device has a 500gb internal hdd. plex installed
Desktop computer running windows 7 also with 500gb Hdd, plex installed
Samsung 4k Smart TV w/ Plex app & Netflix

Now you will have to pardon my ignorance here, I have been trying out different setups and learning how all of this works as I go along. I originally started using XBMC on my ATV2 after I jailbroke it. This was first time I used it and I was quite impressed. So much impressed that I have since installed it on my laptop and set that up as my main HTPC for the living room/home theatre.

Now I currently have some media saved on my laptop and some on the desktop in my office. My questions are:
1. Should I look into setting up a separate NAS server to house this data so that it is accessible from anywhere via the Plex app? I'd rather not have to leave a computer on if I don't have to, due to power/heat issues. I wouldn't want something to overheat when I'm not home during the day. (could be over worrying on my part)

2.Since I have the plex app on my tv, is it silly to use the main HTPC in the living room via laptop/remote and instead set that up in my office and just use the plex app?

3. Since the ATV2 is crashing when trying to play HD through Kodi, is it better to try and use Plex on that? Is it even possible to do that, I didn't see an app or add on available...

Sorry for all the questions, but my main goal here is to be able to access the content that will be stored on my server through 2-3 Tvs in the house and on a few mobile devices when I'm on the go. I know Plex can handle alot of this, as long as the server/computer is left on at all times, but I would like to know I am using the best setup to achieve this. Any help provided is much appreciated and thanks for reading this long post!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for recommendations on current/future equpiment setup0