Blu Ray Movie Support on Rasberry 2
About a year ago I got a Raspberry Pi to setup as a media server.

My setup did not work well, I had a lot of issues with the video not keeping up. I ended up just using my laptop to play the movies. I gave up on the Raspberry PI (sadly)

This year I plan to start ripping Blu Ray movies with no compression. Can the newer Raspberry keep up with a BluRay movie that is not compressed?

The movies would be a large external drive.

thanks
Phil
I have played uncompressed Bluray films on my Pi 2 and it played fine. Although, I think I played them on a Pi 1 Model B and after it buffers, it played fine as well.
Should be fine on Pi2. You may need the VC-1 and MPEG-2 codecs for some Blu-rays.
Yes - should be fine. However the Pi also plays most Blu-ray bitrate stuff fine. Were you streaming from locally connected USB storage, or over a network? If you were streaming over a network, then cabled or wireless, and were you using SMB or NFS?

For a Pi 2 SMB should be OK, but it can be marginal on a Pi 1 (NFS is lighter weight so preferred for Pi 1). WiFi is never recommended for Blu-ray bitrate stuff.
I play bluray.iso files over the network (hardwired only works for me) and from locally connected hard drives with RPi-2.
However the menus dont work so you have to know which title/stream you want to watch.

However, I have random freezes usually once/twice per video and I am trying to find out if its just me or others too, as I also get this
running kodi on my PC.

I have also got the VC-1 and MPEG-2 decode licences installed on both the RPI-2.

hope that helps.
(2015-12-30, 14:10)javaboyuk Wrote: However, I have random freezes usually once/twice per video and I am trying to find out if its just me or others too, as I also get this
running kodi on my PC.

Best to create a new thread with debug log (wiki) and we can investigate.
A Pi1B will happily play uncompressed BluRay, you just have to set the thing up properly.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Thanks for information! I now know it is something on my end which should be fixable.

Phil J

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Blu Ray Movie Support on Rasberry 20