Refresh Rate, is this correct?
RPi3
OpenELEC 6.95.1

The setup was pretty easy and everything is working well but I have a question about refresh rate. On my Shield TV I have the option to "adjust display refresh rate" but that option isn't there in OpenELEC on the RPi3. I've read that the RPi can do perfect 23.976 and I just want to make sure it's setup correctly. I assume the RPi does 23.976 automatically since there are no options but I have the "Sync to screen information" on the RPi CodecInfo screen that I don't have on my Shield. The fact that the refresh is 60 makes me think something could be wrong. Is this correct? If not where are the settings in Openelec to correct the refresh rate? Thanks.

RPi:

Shield:
(2016-03-29, 00:59)essential Wrote: The fact that the refresh is 60 makes me think something could be wrong. Is this correct?

The refresh rate shown in the Codec OSD relates to the GUI frame rate not the video frame rate, therefore it's completely meaningless and is no longer shown in Kodi 17.

(2016-03-29, 00:59)essential Wrote: If not where are the settings in Openelec to correct the refresh rate? Thanks.

Settings > Videos > Playback, but you need to set your settings level to Advanced or higher to see this option.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2016-03-29, 01:16)Milhouse Wrote: Settings > Videos > Playback, but you need to set your settings level to Advanced or higher to see this option.

I'm an idiot, I forgot to change it to expert. I've now changed the playback setting "adjust display refresh rate" to always just like my Shield. However, before and after changing that setting drop rate is and was 0, so does the RPi default to the correct frame rate somehow?
(2016-03-29, 01:25)essential Wrote: However, before and after changing that setting drop rate is and was 0, so does the RPi default to the correct frame rate somehow?
No - if your Pi had defaulted to 60Hz output, then if you were playing 60,59.94, 50, 25, 24,23.976 etc. you wouldn't have lost frames due to refresh rate (if indeed that would be shown on the 'drop' total) as your display refresh rate, whilst not optimal, would have been able to show all frames without dropping them. Of course some content would look horrible due to asymmetric frame repetition to get to 60Hz...
(2016-03-29, 02:04)noggin Wrote: No - if your Pi had defaulted to 60Hz output, then if you were playing 60,59.94, 50, 25, 24,23.976 etc. you wouldn't have lost frames due to refresh rate (if indeed that would be shown on the 'drop' total) as your display refresh rate, whilst not optimal, would have been able to show all frames without dropping them. Of course some content would look horrible due to asymmetric frame repetition to get to 60Hz...

Thanks, that makes sense.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Refresh Rate, is this correct?0