DTS-HD passthrough not working
Hi,

I am using Windows 10 and Kodi 17.1
I have a HTPC connected with HDMI to my Samsung HT-D6750W receiver that supports DTS-HD according to the manual.
I have set up audio to use WASAPI for normal and passthrough.
When I enable DTS-HD to passthrough I do not have any sound when playing a video containing DTS-HD audio.

Does anyone have an idea why this is?
Does it matter if I don't use passthrough for this? Because I do hear surround sound when disabling it. My guess is that Kodi itself will decode the DTS-HD before sending it to the receiver. Although this might unncesesarily strain my weak CPU in the HTPC. So if I could get the passthrough working that would be cool.
The DTS passthrough does work with no problem.
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Debug log:
https://pastebin.com/bvKtqZE6

I see
23:18:55.893 T:1868 NOTICE: CAESinkWASAPI::EnumerateDevicesEx: stream type "STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD" on device "AMD HDMI Output (AMD High Definition Audio Device)" seems to be not supported.

So I guess that means the AMD HDMI output devide itself does not seem to support it. It's an APU.
I'll get a Radeon 460 tomorrow. I'll see if that makes a difference.
same here. receiver states unknown format.
(2017-04-04, 23:30)SmellyCat Wrote: Debug log:

I see
23:18:55.893 T:1868 NOTICE: CAESinkWASAPI::EnumerateDevicesEx: stream type "STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD" on device "AMD HDMI Output (AMD High Definition Audio Device)" seems to be not supported.

So I guess that means the AMD HDMI output devide itself does not seem to support it. It's an APU.
Next time please turn on debugging before starting kodi, as it needs to be on from the start.

You have 8 audio devices detected by Kodi. None of them have more than 6 (ie 5.1) channels detected. See e.g. line 50. I find your log quite confusing because the lines you identify conflict with the later parts.

Try a new one with debugging on from the start.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-04-05, 01:55)SelectAV Wrote: same here. receiver states unknown format.
You posted 3 hours after I said a debug log is required, yet you didn't bother. Please do.
(2017-04-05, 08:02)nickr Wrote:
(2017-04-04, 23:30)SmellyCat Wrote: Debug log:

I see

Next time please turn on debugging before starting kodi, as it needs to be on from the start.

You have 8 audio devices detected by Kodi. None of them have more than 6 (ie 5.1) channels detected. See e.g. line 50. I find your log quite confusing because the lines you identify conflict with the later parts.

Try a new one with debugging on from the start.

You are right. The "HDMI - AMD HDMI Output" I am using does seem to support STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD as I expected, but only 6 channels. That's surprising.
However I will be having a new setup that complicates things further. I will make a separate topic about this.
I am curious what makes the output only support 6 channels, but I leave this for now.
Hi, I'm back.

I have created a new debug log from kodi start to end
https://pastebin.com/Fv04rkNv

I am using WASAPI: 1 - SAMSUNG (2- AMD High Definition Audio Device)
The channels are
FL,FR,FC,LFE,BL,BR,SL,SR
Stream types are
STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD,STREAM_TYPE_TRUEHD,STREAM_TYPE_EAC3,STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD_CORE,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_2048,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_1024,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_512,STREAM_TYPE_AC3

So that is looking now as I expected.
7.1 channels and DTS HD support

In the log I can see I started to play the "7.1Ch Dolby TrueHD" file.
Then I see the following lines:
12:48:19.040 T:5396 DEBUG: CActiveAESink::OpenSink - trying to open device WASAPI:{A0E1869C-70E7-4739-A7EE-F5AEF6737EAA}
12:48:19.048 T:5396 INFO: CAESinkWASAPI::Initialize: Could not Initialize Exclusive with that format
12:48:19.048 T:5396 ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::Initialize: WASAPI initialization failed.

That doesn't look good.
It's trying DirectSound after that.
A little bit later I see
12:48:19.162 T:5396 ERROR: CAESinkDirectSound::Initialize: cannot create secondary buffer (DSERR_UNSUPPORTED)

The end result is having no sound.

I have installed the Radeon drivers from the AMD website. I looked at the supported formats and see the HD audio formats are missing.
Hi,

Any news on this? I have a the same problem with playback of DTS audio files, It works with Foobar2000 (without DTS decoder plugin installed) on the same computer, so I know the audio chain is OK, and that the format is supported.

Debug log:
https://pastebin.com/Tru4UXAW
(2017-05-21, 15:51)sique Wrote: Hi,

Any news on this? I have a the same problem with playback of DTS audio files, It works with Foobar2000 (without DTS decoder plugin installed) on the same computer, so I know the audio chain is OK, and that the format is supported.

Debug log:

You have installed Banned add-ons (wiki), so you won't get any support here unless you want to remove them.
(2017-05-21, 15:51)sique Wrote: Hi,

Debug log:

No, I've given up on passthrough of DTS HD audio. I depend on the decoding by Kodi for this and sending the multichannel bitstream to the receiver.
Note that my problem was related to HD audio formats, and not the 'plain' DTS format.
I had a similar problem recently, try ripping out your GFX card drivers and reinstalling from scratch. You could also test whether this is in fact an issue with KODI quite easily but installed MPC-HC, remember turn on bitstreaming, its off by default.
(2017-05-25, 13:18)stoolzo Wrote: I had a similar problem recently, try ripping out your GFX card drivers and reinstalling from scratch. You could also test whether this is in fact an issue with KODI quite easily but installed MPC-HC, remember turn on bitstreaming, its off by default.

It's not a problem of KODI, because the supported formats, that is missing the HD formats, is displayed by Windows for the audio device.
It's a new video card and new installed drivers.

Anyway, it's not a big problem, since I let KODI to the decoding. So I just let it be.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS-HD passthrough not working0