True hd to dolby digital via spdif toslink....
hi, i have: win 7, spdif toslink to receiver that only accepts dolby digital and DTS.
have enabled passtrough + enabled dolby digital capable receiver + enabled DTS capable receiver.....

playing mkv 5.1 videos shows:

all works fine with DTS (shows DTS on receiver)

all works fine with DTS Hd master (shows DTS on receiver)

all works fine with dolby digital (shows dolby digital on receiver)

dont work with True HD

-----------------------------------------
I have disabled sync to display, so thats not the problem

I can get the True HD to work as dolby digital but only if i Enable dolby digital transcoding, WHY do I need this enabled?
Cant kodi read the dolby digital file within the True HD file? does it have to transcode it somehow?
Truehd will not pass via spdif. Nor will dts-hd - in that case you are getting the DTS core.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Its not a Kodi restriction either, SPDIF doesn't have the bandwidth for the newer high bitrate digital formats. You need to use HDMI if you want those.
Thanks , I know the limits of Spdif toslink and also what HDMI is capable of.
What I meant was: Why dont i get Dolby Digital via toslink when I play True HD? I get DTS when I play Dts hd master.

My receiver dont have hdmi, only coaxial and toslink...

ONLY when i enable "dolby digital transcoding" I do get Dolby digital from True HD, why?
TrueHD is not built on top of a normal Dolby Digital core in the same way DTS-HD is built upon a DTS core so there's no Dolby Digital core to access, therefore to send sound from a TrueHD audio track you must disable the TrueHD setting so the audio is decoded to PCM 5.1, then since you are using spdif you must enable Dolby Digital transcoding to encode that PCM 5.1 to DD5.1.
THANKS, as i did suspect, now I know.... Its better to pass trough dolby digital direct, instead of transcode True HD to PCM then to Dolby Digital...
I suspect the transcode option maybe best from a quality view point, but I don't personally have need of it as have a fully capable AVR, even with a difference in quality either way I wouldn't count on it being perceptible. If you want the comfort of having the best no matter if you perceive any difference then a debug log file will tell you this if you play both types of audio track one after the other.
thanks, im happy choosing the DD audio instead if the True hd+transcoding... didnt know the DD track was there also,... sound is good enough for the old HK receiver anyway

Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
True hd to dolby digital via spdif toslink....0