Win Refresh Rate Adjustment Fails (60.00fps -> other)
Hello fellow Community,

this might be another "Refresh Rate Adjustment fails" thread - but i'm kind of lost by now and seeking help.

My Problem: Apparently whenever Kodi tries to adjust the Display Refresh rate away from 60.00fps - it does not work and end up in playing the video on a Display set to 60fps.

My Hardware:
  • Kodi: 21 Beta 2 (also happens on 20.2)
  • PC: Intel NUC 12th Gen (NUC12WSKI5) - Direct HDMI connection to TV
  • TV: Samsung S95B (Input with NUC set to Game Console or Blu-Ray Player)
  • AVR: Denon AVR-X2100W (using eARC)
I tried some content with different Sample Rates, Resolution, HDR/nonHDR.

There are different cases happening:
  • Desktop Refresh Rate set to 60.00 (my actual use case but with adjustment only on start instead of start/stop):
    • ajihuyepic.kodi (paste)
    • Tested with Adjust Refresh Rate on Start
    • Content gets played with display refresh rate of 60fps
    • I noticed an animation which shows a swift zooming from zoom level 0% to 100% on starting of the video. It's a "new display connected" - type of animation.
  • Desktop Refresh Rate set to 23.976/23.98
    • awadatofiq.kodi (paste)
    • Tested with Adjust Refresh Rate on Start
    • Content gets displayed at the correct refresh rate.
    • No Animation shown. It mostly doesnt even turn black on switching. TV shows correct refresh rate in the input information.
    • Even the switching from 60.00fps to 23.98fps works (why here, i don't know)
  • Desktop Refresh Rate set to 23.976/23.98
    • riyuxenuqe.kodi (paste)
    • Tested with Adjust Refresh Rate on Start/Stop
    • Adjustment Somehow works sometimes.
    • At one Point after starting the playback, Kodi outputs at half the size in the top left Corner of the screen.
    • Had to Alt-F4 Kodi because it was not usable after Stopping the Video.
Weirdly Enough - I had the Windows Display Settings open and the Screen Disappeared from the list of displays while testing (The TV is the only Display connected to the Box).

Further Things I tried:
  • Connect Nuc -> AVR -> TV - Adjustment seems to work properly with 60.00 fps
  • Windows 10 Computer with Nvidia 30-Series Graphics connected to TV - Adjustment seems to work properly.
Because i don't use the Nuc exclusively for Kodi and using a Mouse on 24fps is ... not excatly nice, I would like to keep the desktop refresh rate at 60 fps.

I appreciate any help to get the refresh rate switching properly working.
Addendum:

I tried using libreelec from a USB in live mode on the nuc - There the Frame Rate switching works without issues. But not All HDR Content is displayed with HDR turned on - and apparenty the brigthness of the UI in HDR mode is not adjustable.
The two builds I triedhere were: 11.0.3 and "LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-12.0-nightly-20231215-63347fc.img.gz"

Also I noticed a "Digital Flat Panel (640x480 60Hz)" popping up in the logs instead of the actual name "QBQ90S". Maybe there is a brief moment where Windows thinks, a different Screen was connected - and that's whats throwing kodi off somehow.
Strange symptoms. Not exactly the same but sounds similar to another recent Windows 11 issue with Windows reporting some events with a weird timing around resolution changes.
After a lot of troubleshooting, we didn't find a knob in Windows to fix without drastic action, and a Windows reinstall was the only thing that helped.
That business with screens coming and going in settings is not supposed to be happening.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
My guesses and observations:
  • When the NUC shuts the display output off, sometimes I get a message along the lines of "multiple taskbars on same screen edge not allowed" - gonna try to reproduce it and post the exact message.
  • The problem seems to occur when reducing the refresh rate below the 59 fps setting. Not while raising it. A raised refresh rate does not even lead to a black screen with the S95B.
  • At one Point in testing, kodi seems to crash when changing resolution, refresh rate and HDR status simultaneously - probably related to the display not being available.
Next i will be looking into windows event logs and try it with a different display.
Also will be looking for different blackscreen and "new display connected"-animation behaviour.
Gotta see for a bigger time slot for a fresh Windows install.

On a side note: MPC-HC with MadVR seems to correctly change refresh rate.
(2023-12-18, 01:45)MyFrameRateIsBorked Wrote: Next i will be looking into windows event logs and try it with a different display.
  • The TV is being reported by the Kernel-PnP Log as missing with its Video and Audio features.
  • Shortly after, the Dummy Device Shows up as missing
  • Whenever there is no "you changed something with your monitor setup"-animation, there is no report in the logs.
  • Whenever there is the issue with framerate switching, the TV takes several seconds and sometimes even displays the spinning circle of dots before showing the PC again.
  • In all cases where the refresh rate is adjusted in the system menu, the adjusted rate persists.
With a different display there are no such issues.

Right now, I am suspecting the combination of the TV's Firmware (switching modes) and the intel graphics driver.
So the root cause of the problem might not be with Kodi itself.

On the other hand, I am not familiar with the way how Kodi handles disconnecting Displays during a display mode change. It looks like the disconnection and reconnection of the display interferes with the mode change process (and also the audio output part, too, because the audio device vanishes also).
Intel Driver Version is 31.0.101.5081/31.0.101.5122
Already completely removed and reinstalled the drivers, including preventing windows update installing older drivers over the recenty installed ones.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Refresh Rate Adjustment Fails (60.00fps -> other)0