[REVIEW] PiPO X7 Quadcore Windows Box for less than $100
Hi all,

I've been testing out the PiPO X7 and have decided to share my in-progress review as there seems to be a lot of questions about this Windows box.

You can see me booting it and navigating through Windows here:

So far, I have found that it runs Kodi really well - Aeon Nox is very smooth and video playback is generally excellent unless the codec is too taxing on the limited CPU.

Let me know what you think: http://hometheatrelife.com/pipo-x7-review/

I'll keep updating it as I progress and won't give a final score until I'm satisfied.
I would be curious to know how well Kodi runs under Linux on the device. Also, did the device come with Windows install disks just in case Windows needs to be re-installed.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
Not bad...... CPU isn't as powerful as the Chromebox but maybe it doesn't need to be?! I'm curious about the wi-fi performance as well as how easy it is to install OpenELEC onto this. So far, appears to be a solid box in the sub $100 market. Was thinking about adding a Chromebox to the mix of devices in my house but after seeing this and other boxes at CES, I think I'm gonna hold off on the Chromebox.
There is a thread on this box over on Freak Tab that can give you a lot of info.

At the moment it appears that installing Linux or even booting OpenElec off a USB is not a simple matter because of the limitations of the BIOS the X7 uses.

But it seems like there are some people offering solutions.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?2...8-1-TV-Box
The problem with the x7 is the uefi BIOS is 32 bit openelec 32bit requires legacy BIOS. The 64 bit openelec requires a 64bit uefi.

I've got my pipo x7 ready to test I just need an hour or two to test
(2015-01-16, 20:05)gene0915 Wrote: Not bad...... CPU isn't as powerful as the Chromebox but maybe it doesn't need to be?! I'm curious about the wi-fi performance as well as how easy it is to install OpenELEC onto this. So far, appears to be a solid box in the sub $100 market. Was thinking about adding a Chromebox to the mix of devices in my house but after seeing this and other boxes at CES, I think I'm gonna hold off on the Chromebox.

I'll be doing more formal WiFi tests shortly but in terms of general use, it feels fast. I'll update my review when testing is complete.
(2015-01-16, 17:22)Darkscythe Wrote: So far, I have found that it runs Kodi really well - Aeon Nox is very smooth and video playback is generally excellent unless the codec is too taxing on the limited CPU.

Let me know what you think: http://hometheatrelife.com/pipo-x7-review/
Where's the video of Kodi in action with codec screen info, GUI navigation speed, 24p, refresh rate switching, audio passthrough etc etc. ?
Stuff that is actually important for a Kodi media box.

One would think this is just a shameless plug for your website unless you give us Kodi users some cold hard evidence with far more detail.

(2015-01-17, 08:58)wrxtasy Wrote: Where's the video of Kodi in action with codec screen info, GUI navigation speed, 24p, refresh rate switching, audio passthrough etc etc. ?
Stuff that is actually important for a Kodi media box.

One would think this is just a shameless plug for your website unless you give us Kodi users some cold hard evidence with far more detail.

I can't say I appreciate the accusation - I did mention that I am still working on some elements and do take the feedback onboard.

I am actually monitoring this thread to answer questions the Kodi community may have and am still pulling together some more videos based on community requests.
Ok understood, we await the detail and results. Cheers.

More on the 32bit UEFI issues with Baytrail SoCs (particularly the Z series I believe) here : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HCL..._Bay_Trail

People have got Ubuntu 14.10 running on the Meegopad T01 - which runs the same kind of BIOS and same series SoC as the X7 I believe : https://plus.google.com/+IanMORRISON/posts/JcYDGALYhy5

This may be useful : http://askubuntu.com/questions/392719/32...ot-support
I've just been trying out my pipo x7 and everything seems to play. It doesn't have HD audio but I thought that would be the case. I'm having problems getting 23.976 playback it seems to play at 24p so I'm getting drops
(2015-01-17, 17:47)goujam Wrote: I've just been trying out my pipo x7 and everything seems to play. It doesn't have HD audio but I thought that would be the case. I'm having problems getting 23.976 playback it seems to play at 24p so I'm getting drops

Is this with Kodi in Win 8.1 with Bing?
(2015-01-17, 17:58)noggin Wrote:
(2015-01-17, 17:47)goujam Wrote: I've just been trying out my pipo x7 and everything seems to play. It doesn't have HD audio but I thought that would be the case. I'm having problems getting 23.976 playback it seems to play at 24p so I'm getting drops

Is this with Kodi in Win 8.1 with Bing?

Yeah kodi with windows 8.1 with bing. I'd ideally like to put openelec on it but no way of doing this yet
Do you get DD/DTS pass-through over HDMI or just PCM 2.0?

If you have the thing plugged into an AVR it would be really helpful to see a screen grab of the supported audio formats bit (i.e. how many channels, what sample rates, what compressed audio formats etc. are supported)
(2015-01-17, 18:43)noggin Wrote: Do you get DD/DTS pass-through over HDMI or just PCM 2.0?

If you have the thing plugged into an AVR it would be really helpful to see a screen grab of the supported audio formats bit (i.e. how many channels, what sample rates, what compressed audio formats etc. are supported)

I get DTS and dd pass through. So if I select dts-ma capable receiver I get no sound as soon as I untick this my receiver shows DTS. I'll get a screen grab tomorrow but it shows DTS and dd and dd plus, it does show 8 channels and sample rates up to 192khz. When I switched pass through off I got pcm at 48khz and 5.1 output.

I have it connected to a denon x2000 reciever

Does kodi decode dts-ma to lpcm if so that might be the best option

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REVIEW] PiPO X7 Quadcore Windows Box for less than $1000