• 12(current)
OS X Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds
Mhh watched an SD xvid with AC35.1 (passthrough) yesterday on the macmini (HDMI) and didn't get the error. Well this will last some time because i can't watch a movie every day.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Interesting that Wojtek had the freeze exactly 2x after the original poster did (2h 4m vs. 1h 2m). So it doesn't freeze if you manually advance the movie just before the freeze point, then play it? It has to run through to that point at normal speed? Maybe that is a clue too.

FWIW, I have a Mac mini and played all kinds of video/audio and have never experienced this. It's a weird one.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
It only occurs during uninterrupted playback. It doesn't happen at a specific time stamp, and it doesn't matter where in the movie you start playback, it happens after playing for X amount of time. For a movie freezing at 46 minutes, stopping and resuming playback will freeze again after another 46 minutes. If you started the film at the 10 minute mark, it would then freeze at 56 minutes.

It happens across different container formats, audio formats, and video formats.
HD Movies (mkv) with HD Dolby audio (EAC3 or TrueHD) have been the only 100% triggers for me (at 46 minutes), tested across over a dozen films.
HD Movies (mkv) with plain Dolby Digital have been a mix up, either 46 minute freezes or perfect playback.
SD movies (avi) typically freeze at 62 minutes, although I have had a few freeze at 46 minutes, and 2 specific SD movies that freeze at 67 minutes, which I find particularly interesting.

I personally have never had a freeze with DTS audio, although I believe a few people here have reported such. I have one particular rip containing both Dolby and DTS audio tracks, and it freezes if played with Dolby, and plays just fine with DTS.

@Glorious1, using HDMI out for both audio and video seems to be a common thread for us. Your sig says you are using optical out, no?
* davilla plans coding in anti-freeze
(2013-02-12, 05:44)dfish3d Wrote: I
@Glorious1, using HDMI out for both audio and video seems to be a common thread for us. Your sig says you are using optical out, no?

I have stated this before earlier in this thread - I never had the issue uising optical out, but when I changed my receiver, I moved to hdmi into the receiver and since then have experienced the issue, albiet at 46mins - and not with movies that have DTS sound.
(2013-02-12, 05:44)dfish3d Wrote: @Glorious1, using HDMI out for both audio and video seems to be a common thread for us. Your sig says you are using optical out, no?

That is correct.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
(2013-02-11, 16:07)Glorious1 Wrote: Interesting that Wojtek had the freeze exactly 2x after the original poster did (2h 4m vs. 1h 2m).

I might sound like an idiot now, but maybe it's a matter of some sort of a counter that works twice as fast in 64 bit vs the 32 bit compilation of the XBMC? I run 32 bit now (and accidentally it was the first time I've had enough time to play back something longer than 2 hours).
But yes, it only happens during uninterrupted playback, I can skip to 2h03m anytime and it will play back flawlessly (until the end of the movie at 2h14, that is).
Wojtek
I am not sure if this is related, but I have an RTMP AAC streamed radio station that dies at 52 minutes of constant playing. The playing counter keeps incrementing, but the audio drops out. I can stop and restart the stream and it works again for another 52 minutes.

I have not had any issues with any AC3 or DTS videos, but I am using passthrough for both of those. The issue only seems to crop up if XBMC actually processes the audio (MP3 or AAC) into PCM on HDMI.
Hey wojtek, how much ram do you have in that machine where you're seeing 2:04 freezes? It's not 16gigs by any chance is it?
(2013-02-14, 02:30)ultatryon Wrote: I am not sure if this is related, but I have an RTMP AAC streamed radio station that dies at 52 minutes of constant playing. The playing counter keeps incrementing, but the audio drops out. I can stop and restart the stream and it works again for another 52 minutes.

I have not had any issues with any AC3 or DTS videos, but I am using passthrough for both of those. The issue only seems to crop up if XBMC actually processes the audio (MP3 or AAC) into PCM on HDMI.

Today, I had the same thing happen with the radio station I was streaming also. It was a 128k AAC stream. I'll try and find the log next time it happens and post it. Thanks
(2013-02-16, 14:59)dfish3d Wrote: Hey wojtek, how much ram do you have in that machine where you're seeing 2:04 freezes? It's not 16gigs by any chance is it?

No, this is a humble Mac Mini running Snow Leopard, 2GB RAM that's all.
Wojtek
Have had this issue since updating to Frodo on my mac mini.

Every single HD MKV i play the audio drops out around that 46min mark and the video stutters. Have to stop/resume when it happens.

All of my MKVs are ripped with audio (True HD or DTS-MA) converted to FLAC and I'm outputting audio over HDMI to an Onkyo Receiver. I only have LPCM enabled in the system settings in XBMX and on the MAC.
When switching from RC3 to Release my stutter scanged from 46 min. to 1:02
I have the same issue.

But it takes around 1h on mine.

Only thing that helps is to stop, exit and resume.

16GB mini 10.8.2.

Didn't have these issues before I upgraded to a 4TB FW external drive.
Running latest release XBMC.

/J
Update:

I let it play 2 movies today (macmini latest 2012 i5 8gb ram - 10.8.2).

1. 1080p h.264 dts audio - passthrough - VDA hw decoder - refresh rate adaption turned on
2. SD xvid AC3 audio - passthrough - software decode - refresh rate adaption turned on

Both played through without this issue. So sad thing - still nothing new on the development side. The problem is just not catchable for me.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds2