Whats the best nas/download station/media server?
Or you could build an 15TB unraid server (HDDs included) for $1350

Here's the rough breakdown:
MB: $80 (Any socket 1155 MB w/ 6 sata ports)
CPU: $40 (Pentium G530)
RAM: $30 (4GB)
PSU: $80 (Any good single rail 500W PSU)
Case: $100 (Antec 900 or similar)
unaid Pro license: $120
HDDs: 6 x 3TB = $900

Purchase a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-port SATA expansion card for $110 and three 5-in-3 hot swap bays (~$300) and you can expand to 14 HDDs or a total 39 TB capacity if you stick with 3TB HDDs.

HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
(2012-10-17, 19:11)Xexiz Wrote: Currently having the DS1512+ (5X3TO) paid 750 on a mega deal!! otherwise you could go with the DS1812+ (8X3TO). Synology NAS are seriously insane! I hesitated a lot between qnap and synology but reviews and overall better performance led me to DS1512+. DS apps are available for android (not the download manager yet though https://play.google.com/store/apps/devel...3Bob3RvIl0.).
I don't know how any NAS could handle 3 xbmc streaming NAS content but QNAP or Syn should support it. The bottleneck could be your network though.

How about the Synology DiskStation DS2411+ 12-bay NAS? Seams pretty ok, right?
Benchmarked the network to a stable 756mb/s so should be fine.
+1 to Roll Your Own.

Even the 'high-end' of these off-the-shelf NAS' have some of the oldest and cheapest mobo+CPU combinations imaginable. I'm sure they all work quite well, however, a person can do much better on their own.

Case in point: http://www.servethehome.com/synology-ds1...-teardown/ comes with an Atom 2700 + 1GB DDR3, 8-bay case, and not a single HDD for a grand.

You can buy a lot of meatballs for $1000....just sayin'
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2012-10-17, 21:46)RaggSokk3n Wrote: How about the Synology DiskStation DS2411+ 12-bay NAS? Seams pretty ok, right?
Benchmarked the network to a stable 756mb/s so should be fine.

The one i've read the most are the DS413 and DS1512+. 24 should also be good!! but its too freaking much space! Tongue
Having a 5bay now.. with only 2HDD, soon the 3rd will come. If I could fill the 5bays, then I can attach the expension unit http://www.synology.com/products/DX513.php?lang=us.
I can't talk about unRaid, I know verry little about this, but no way a build machine could be more silent and small that those units. Also the DSM 4.1 is just great!!

Anywyas, it's a preference I guess. I wanted something small, reliable, silent and expendable and the SHR (Synology Hybrid Raid) is great too for those with different size drives.
I'm thinking raid 5 so 12hdds isn't that mutch. My main consern is that it will work perfectly for my needs. Basicly what im saying is that i don't want to know what's cheapest but what will give me the best user experience.

For those of you that own a synology nas:
1.How good is the torrent client?
2.Does the torrent clien support rss?
3.Does the torrent clien support a default location for every seperate rss?
4.Can i chose dowload location for each torrent?
5.Does the torrent clien support magnet links?
Hey Ragg,

I have a Synology RS810+ and a RX410 expansion unit.
Works wonders and can have up to 8 drives.

I use Usenet, and there are many sources available to get you going.
Check here: http://www.synocommunity.com/ and look at his available packages.
My full HTPC build log:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129352
Core i3-2120T 2.6Ghz, 4gb Kingston DDR3, mSATA SSD, Moneual 312 Case, GT520 GPU
(2012-10-18, 11:46)RaggSokk3n Wrote: For those of you that own a synology nas:
1.How good is the torrent client?
2.Does the torrent clien support rss?
3.Does the torrent clien support a default location for every seperate rss?
4.Can i chose dowload location for each torrent?
5.Does the torrent clien support magnet links?

I'll do my best before end of week to test it all for you, I havent used it a lot yet.

(2012-10-18, 12:44)SavellM Wrote: I use Usenet, and there are many sources available to get you going.
Check here: http://www.synocommunity.com/ and look at his available packages.

Nice one SavellM!! I knew there were some repo to add more package but never had time to look and search for repos. Is there a list somewhere, on synology forum maybe for all the repo / packages available?
(2012-10-18, 13:49)Xexiz Wrote: Nice one SavellM!! I knew there were some repo to add more package but never had time to look and search for repos. Is there a list somewhere, on synology forum maybe for all the repo / packages available?

http://www.mobile-harddisk.nl/blog/synol...-synology/
For home use I really don't think having everything spinning 24x7 and spreading parity makes sense. A dual failure and you lose it all. And if you really think you can't home build something as nice or nicer than what these companies sell you then I've got a bridge you may be interested in as well. There are forums full of builds that say otherwise! Buy something that doesn't require all of your drives to be the same size for sure. You want something easy to add hardware to, buying an additional external case/expander doesn't fit that in my mind.

As my needs have changed over the years (and you's will too) I've swapped motherboards, CPU, memory, and cases. I've gone from IDE to SATA and now to SAS adapters. I've used the same software, with upgrades, and never lost data. I've had drives fail at least a half dozen times over the years, thankfully no dual failures but if it happened I'd only lose some of my data and not all of it - I do this while only losing a single drive to parity overhead. Torrents, Usenet, mySQL, and all sorts of other plugins have been setup for unRAID too.

Make sure you do your research, buying 2x sucks as many converts to unRAID can attest lol :-)
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
(2012-10-17, 21:44)wsume99 Wrote: Or you could build an 15TB unraid server (HDDs included) for $1350

Here's the rough breakdown:
MB: $80 (Any socket 1155 MB w/ 6 sata ports)
CPU: $40 (Pentium G530)
RAM: $30 (4GB)
PSU: $80 (Any good single rail 500W PSU)
Case: $100 (Antec 900 or similar)
unaid Pro license: $120
HDDs: 6 x 3TB = $900

Purchase a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-port SATA expansion card for $110 and three 5-in-3 hot swap bays (~$300) and you can expand to 14 HDDs or a total 39 TB capacity if you stick with 3TB HDDs.

My issue with this is super low end hardware. It doesn't seem that way but you can very easily load up a media server quite quickly, especially if you use library management software to unpack and handle your material. Also my experience with that particular HBA was god awful, I ended up trashing them after suffering consistent issues.

(2012-10-17, 11:45)RaggSokk3n Wrote: I dont mind tinkering as long aa its hasle free when its up and running..
How does the harddirve systems that unraid, zfs and flexraid uses work? Im familiar with normal hardware raid but from what i understand these selfbuilt systems use something else?

But will if cover my needs? And how user frendly is the web gui?

They use what afaik is a transactional software raid. I'm currently running a RAID Z-2(basically RAID6) served out to my household over two bonded gigE ports. Installation is as simple as putting in a bootable CD/DVD/USB and running the install wizard. If you're at all familiar with Linux/BSD once it's setup installation of extra software can be done fairly simply with your favourite package management system. The ports collection has a fairly comprehensive list of supported software(zfsguru-FreeBSD). Once setup as well it's mostly hands off. Once a week I run a scrub of the pool to fix any issues, this is cron-able if you don't want to manage it yourself.

The big benefit you will see with running a self built is that your limit of drives is significantly larger than any pre-rolled solution. At the moment if I find myself straining my storage I can buy 6 new drives and add them to the existing pool, no fuss. With a dedicated NAS box you need to replace all your drives. Windows Server is also a viable option for ease-of-use setup.

(2012-10-18, 15:26)BLKMGK Wrote: For home use I really don't think having everything spinning 24x7 and spreading parity makes sense. A dual failure and you lose it all. And if you really think you can't home build something as nice or nicer than what these companies sell you then I've got a bridge you may be interested in as well. There are forums full of builds that say otherwise! Buy something that doesn't require all of your drives to be the same size for sure. You want something easy to add hardware to, buying an additional external case/expander doesn't fit that in my mind.

As my needs have changed over the years (and you's will too) I've swapped motherboards, CPU, memory, and cases. I've gone from IDE to SATA and now to SAS adapters. I've used the same software, with upgrades, and never lost data. I've had drives fail at least a half dozen times over the years, thankfully no dual failures but if it happened I'd only lose some of my data and not all of it - I do this while only losing a single drive to parity overhead. Torrents, Usenet, mySQL, and all sorts of other plugins have been setup for unRAID too.

Make sure you do your research, buying 2x sucks as many converts to unRAID can attest lol :-)

Agreed, somewhat. Something like FlexRAID is awesome for this as far as I'm concerned. Snapshot raid is really the best option for someone running a home media server. I use mine for other uses so it isn't an a viable option but for many it would be more than sufficient. Home built also doesn't mean always spinning, There are a number of handy spin down scripts written for Open Indiana and FreeBSD to spin down drives when they aren't in active use.
What are the requirements for spin down? If the drives are spun down and access occurs what spins up? When you replace drives in ZFS you have to add pools yes?

I can read from a single drive and only spin that one drive, if I write then the parity drive must spin too. It's possible to spin up drives in groups if I wish.

If I add disk I can add or upgrade one at a time. The only restriction is that the parity drive be as big or bigger than any data drive. I lose no more to parity supporting one data drive than I do to 19 data drives....

What happens if you suffer a dual failure? I would lose data on the two failed drives but nothing else. I could use standard ReiserFS recovery tools against the failed drive and a recovery service wouldn't be charging me to recover from a special FS nor require other drives to recover data.

Make no mistake, ZFS and others have their place. In particular unRAID isn't as fast, I can saturate a 100meg connection and put a hurt on Gig but by no means fill it. That said, I can stream full bitrate video in 10meg so my primary purpose is served. ZFS also has the ability to dedupe which I envy but my video shouldn't have dupes I'd think - I don't know. When I look at the memory and CPU reqs for ZFS I find them far far higher than the underclocked celerons and Atoms unRAID can use. I'll admit ZFS is interesting though!

That said, the unRAID box I'm building now will be on top of ESX. I'll run a Xeon and massive memory so that I can leverage the hardware for many other things :-) I'll use vt-d to keep unRAID advantages and use the rest of the box for playing and offloading services from my desktop. Not typical by far...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
@BLKMGK

Main reason I am moving to FreeBSD + ZFS is for the data / filesystem integrity...no other easily accessible filesystem has the extra metadata to prevent silent data corruption. RAID is just that - it doesn't protect against bad RAM or something similar that could be trashing your filesystem without you knowing it.

That said I too will be using a LVM backup in addition to moving to a ZFS 24/7 server.

I also will be turning off Dedupe, Compression, etc...just looking for data integrity as main factor.

Replacing a failed drive is easy... zpool replace tank c1t1d0 c2t0d0...adding drives will have to be done in bunches....new vdev added to an existing zpool for example.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Replacing an existing drive is easy yes, can you simply add a drive to expand a pool or swap in say a 3tb I'm place of a 1tb?

I have heard the data corruption idea before, have you ever seen it occur? I haven't, all of my vids appear to be okay so far as I know but I understand the potential issue. I do check parity once a month but I'm not sure this solved the "bit rot" issue..
I encountered it, I found 1-2 files going in about a month. YMMV depending on library size(I buy lots of movies so I have a ton). I detected it with my weekly hashchecks.

I can have a pool of 3 1tb drive, replace them with 2tb and bring it up to 6TB yes. Just needs to have the flag set.
Okay so what I'm pointing out and we're dancing around is that upgrading a single drive, not a pool, doesn't happen with ZFS. Have 6 1tb drives and want to replace just one with a 2tb, what happens? New pool right or swap all of the old pool? You can't just add a single disk or swap a single disk, ZFS deals with pools. I don't think you can have a pool of disparate drives either can you? UnRAID is much like JBOD only with parity protection...

I've not witnessed bitrot, can't say it doesn't exist but I don't think it has effected me. I suppose I could write hashes for all of my movies and check them to see....

Fwiw, I too have an extensive library, north of 1k not including movies so like you considerable time invested.

I don't dismiss ZFS mind you as I think it's pretty powerful but in my case possibly overkill. My NAS are pretty much appliances that receive almost nothing akin to "maintenance" and I like that. My new setup maybe not so much, we'll see....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Whats the best nas/download station/media server?0