Help me get started....please
Unplug any Keyboard or usb dongles you have connected next time you boot OpenElec the first time just to eliminate any power supply issues you may be having.

I did do that the first time around and the openelec just appeared to freeze. I left it for 10 mins but nothing changed on the screen so i assumed it crashed? How long does it take to get going the first time round?
(2015-06-21, 15:40)TDW1979 Wrote: I did do that the first time around and the openelec just appeared to freeze. I left it for 10 mins but nothing changed on the screen so i assumed it crashed? How long does it take to get going the first time round?

You should boot into Kodi immediately with a fresh installation.

I'd recommend using the OpenELEC 5.9.2 (beta 2) disk image, as it sounds like you're experiencing SD card corruption and I don't think the fixes for SD card corruption made it into 5.0.8.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-06-21, 18:04)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 15:40)TDW1979 Wrote: I did do that the first time around and the openelec just appeared to freeze. I left it for 10 mins but nothing changed on the screen so i assumed it crashed? How long does it take to get going the first time round?

You should boot into Kodi immediately with a fresh installation.

I'd recommend using the OpenELEC 5.9.2 (beta 2) disk image, as it sounds like you're experiencing SD card corruption and I don't think the fixes for SD card corruption made it into 5.0.8.

Ok, I'll give that one a go. I'll re format my SD card and start from scratch. Should I be booting it up with nothing else attached? i.e. USB wifi, keyboard/mouse etc...?
(2015-06-21, 20:52)TDW1979 Wrote: Ok, I'll give that one a go. I'll re format my SD card and start from scratch.

There's no need to reformat your SD card, just write the new uncompressed image to the card - the image already contains the formatted partitions.

(2015-06-21, 20:52)TDW1979 Wrote: Should I be booting it up with nothing else attached? i.e. USB wifi, keyboard/mouse etc...?

Keyboard and mouse should be fine.

I'd use wired networking to start with rather than jump straight in with WiFi. My advice would be to avoid WiFi under all circumstances, but if WiFi is all you've got then it should boot OK - there's just no guarantee your WiFi will actually work or be usable (which is just the nature of WiFi, particularly small/cheap dongles with virtually no antenna).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I tried to download it and extract to my Desktop. I got these errors

! C:\Users\Desktop\OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-5.95.2.img.gz: Unexpected end of archive
! C:\Users\Desktop\OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-5.95.2.img.gz: CRC failed in OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-5.95.2.img. The file is corrupt
(2015-06-21, 21:11)TDW1979 Wrote: I tried to download it and extract to my Desktop. I got these errors

! C:\Users\Desktop\OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-5.95.2.img.gz: CRC failed in OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-5.95.2.img. The file is corrupt

Looks like one of the OpenELEC mirrors may be playing up.

Click on the "Details" link below the 5.95.2 disk image link, and try downloading the image from a different mirror.

The mirrors (Details) page also includes the various SHA/MD5 hashes for the file so you can verify the integrity of your download.

I've just downloaded the image from the openelec.mirrors.uk2.net server, and the download is correct.

Also, use something like 7zip to extract the image from the compressed archive (in case you are trying to "unzip" it using native Windows tools - this won't work, the file is gzipped).
(2015-06-21, 21:40)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 21:11)TDW1979 Wrote: I tried to download it and extract to my Desktop. I got these errors

Looks like one of the OpenELEC mirrors may be playing up.

Click on the "Details" link below the 5.95.2 disk image link, and try downloading the image from a different mirror.

The mirrors (Details) page also includes the various SHA/MD5 hashes for the file so you can verify the integrity of your download.

I've just downloaded the image from the openelec.mirrors.uk2.net server, and the download is correct.

Also, use something like 7zip to extract the image from the compressed archive (in case you are trying to "unzip" it using native Windows tools - this won't work, the file is gzipped).

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Whilst I was waiting for a reply, I was wondering whether I could've just downloaded NOOBS and then Kodi directly from there. I don't suppose it matters as long as it gets on there?
Don't use noobs.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I've just started a download from the link you gave me. I've also installed 7-Zip but it's way over my head tbh. I don't really know how to set it up or how to configure it!
(2015-06-21, 22:08)nickr Wrote: Don't use noobs.

No, I'm going with the link that was posted and it's started downloading now.
(2015-06-21, 22:24)TDW1979 Wrote: I've also installed 7-Zip but it's way over my head tbh. I don't really know how to set it up or how to configure it!

There's not really very much to configure - it's just a program that works with non-Windows (ie. typically Unix/Linux) archive formats.

Once installed, enable support for 7zip in your context menu (search for "7-Zip" in your start menu, run "7-Zip File Manager" and open the Tools -> Options -> 7-Zip dialog, enabling "Integrate 7-Zip to shell context menu") and when you right click on a tar.gz in Windows Explorer you'll be offered various 7zip options (eg. Open archive, Extract here etc.) or double click on the archive to view the contents (drag the contents somewhere to your hard disk if you want to extract it).
Success! I've installed openelec (as per the advice) and it is all up and running.

I'll have a look in the add ons area on the forum but is there any that you would recommend right now?
I personally use the Arctic Zephyr Skin - The Custom Version - its very slick with almost daily updates and bells and whistles being added quickly.

Other Tips are Turn RSS off and Kodi > Setings > Video > Playback > Adjust display refresh rate to match video > On Start/stop
This will give you nice and smooth video playback. Smile

Thanks again. You've really been helpful

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help me get started....please0