Assassin HTPC selling Kodi bundled with banned addons
Here is a test for you: Without including any of the piracy add-ons, How many people would be interested in your fork if you charge say $.02 per download?
There's nothing to evaluate. Either you remove the addons completely or you fully rebrand. Period.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-02-18, 00:14)Assassinhtpc Wrote: We will leave it at the fact that initially we did offer the setup for free on a handful of forums communities. And we had to stop when our systems couldn't keep with the requests. And almost all of the experiences have been very positive.

If you have ever had to support a piece of software, especially an open source one, you would understand the importance of having a community behind an application to help with troubleshooting etc. We unfortunately do not have the resources of a microsoft or apple for support or to develop in house apps.

Regardless, I did not come on here to start a debate or a discussion or even argue a point. It was merely intended to voice our support and address the concerns initially raised which again we FIXED the language in question immediately on our website and are re-evaluating our add-ons included.

Understand also that our target market is not necessarily you or even most of the posters in the forum, or the system tinkerer, or system builder.

Its the common person who does not have the skill set, resources, ability or values their time more than to attempt to get into this stuff on their own.

I think giving them a very simple option and a shortcut into years of media and HTPC experience in order to get them into this space is better than entirely losing out on that demographic.

And for those that are not experts we feel we offer a very valuable and safe option.

The goal here should remain focused on bringing HTPC and its core programs (like Kodi) to the masses. The more popular it becomes the more attention and legal options consumers will have. We have always strived for and promoted bringing HTPC to the world, which is why we publish for FREE on our blog over 180 step by step guides on how to customize and do even more things to your HTPC.

We all have our opinions. Just our 2 cents. Won't comment further but again just wanted to voice our support.

Your hipocrisy is astonishing. Who are you voicing support for - it certainly isn't Kodi. Doesn't matter how you wrap it up - by including those particular add-ons you're condoning the distribution of pirated content. By all means provide a shortcut to HTPC, just drop the pathway to illegal content - I'm sure those that want to won't be long finding their way to it on their own.

Although I guess the price isn't quite so attractive without it.
(2016-02-18, 00:14)Assassinhtpc Wrote: Understand also that our target market is not necessarily you or even most of the posters in the forum, or the system tinkerer, or system builder.

Its the common person who does not have the skill set, resources, ability or values their time more than to attempt to get into this stuff on their own.

Yeah, cause I'm sure that group will know how to get their legally purchased media onto their own machines.

Bill
(2016-02-19, 22:27)Assassinhtpc Wrote: our integrated 1 touch/Automatic Smart Rip program it is pretty much dummy-proof. Our smart rip is quite revolutionary.

So did you guys just grab whatever from the net here or did you actually fart out some original code of your own?
(2016-02-18, 01:16)steelman1991 Wrote: Your hipocrisy is astonishing. Who are you voicing support for - it certainly isn't Kodi. Doesn't matter how you wrap it up - by including those particular add-ons you're condoning the distribution of pirated content. By all means provide a shortcut to HTPC, just drop the pathway to illegal content - I'm sure those that want to won't be long finding their way to it on their own.

Although I guess the price isn't quite so attractive without it.

+1

Even the flash video on the front page of their site includes 2 references to an add-on I can't refer to here !!

The only reason the target buyer is "the common person who does not have the skill set, resources or ability" is because they are the users who have no clue as to what they are actually getting.

Build HTPC's by all means. Put Kodi/plex/Emby/JRiver or whatever on them, just don't include add-ons which reference illegal content.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2016-02-19, 23:03)black_eagle Wrote: The only reason the target buyer is "the common person who does not have the skill set, resources or ability" is because they are the users who have no clue as to what they are actually getting. Build HTPC's by all means. Put Kodi/plex/Emby/JRiver or whatever on them, just don't include add-ons which reference illegal content.

we could hold our breath i guess it wont happen cause then i guess he cant "claim cutting the cord" then.. still i think that taking advantage of less informed users that think this is a legal option is pretty shitty cause they cant defend themselves when the law suites comes.
wow read the whole post btw first time here Smile must say those that profit on what is free to anyone would will wont never understand
Hey Assassinhtpc I used to read your HTPC build recommendations over at AVSforums and understand that you started a business off of it and grew from there. I'm just a guy on the internet but take a step back and read what everyone here is saying. They don't want Kodi to be associated with pirated content. Regardless of how this will affect your profit margins you are in a position to educate those "dumb" consumers who don't know how or can't be bothered to learn what to do with their HTPC. Don't get greedy and turn a blind eye to it. If you support Kodi than great show your customers how it can be used legitimately.
get a fucking job bums! i spent many years of my life as a member of team xbmc 1000's of hours and NEVER not ONCE was profiting from the software EVER mentioned!

Team-XBMC aka Kodi stand proud guys!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-th...hts-3.html

Assassin is all over AVSforum. Dude is possibly making good money off the illegal content and Kodi's name.
I truly hope that you get whats coming to you that new laws will be made to prohibit people like you from exploiting users ignorance with claims like cutting the cable when all you do is make em pirates

totally despicable
(2016-02-22, 18:18)Assassinhtpc Wrote: ...
As for the argument that no one would buy our download if Add-ons were not included. I would advise not making that in the future as that argument in itself is VERY self-deprecating to the great work you have done and continue to do.

WTF?!? Don't have the audacity to take on the challenge and prove it wrong?

(2016-02-22, 18:18)Assassinhtpc Wrote: AGAIN, if any of the Kodi development team has an upcoming build they have finished, just PM me and we would be more than happy to share a download setup license with them to trial and for their thoughts and suggestions.

FINALLY, We support your efforts, we aren't here to battle or disagree.

Just go away already.
(2016-02-22, 18:37)cd2022 Wrote:
(2016-02-22, 18:18)Assassinhtpc Wrote: ...
As for the argument that no one would buy our download if Add-ons were not included. I would advise not making that in the future as that argument in itself is VERY self-deprecating to the great work you have done and continue to do.

WTF?!? Don't have the audacity to take on the challenge and prove it wrong?

(2016-02-22, 18:18)Assassinhtpc Wrote: AGAIN, if any of the Kodi development team has an upcoming build they have finished, just PM me and we would be more than happy to share a download setup license with them to trial and for their thoughts and suggestions.

FINALLY, We support your efforts, we aren't here to battle or disagree.

Just go away already.

You do know Kodi is a GPL license program so we don't a damn about some paid license. Show the source code now for the part you use of Kodi or did your so called legal team not mention that?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Images 3, 8, 19 and 29 on the image browser on this page (http://www.assassinhtpc.com/gaming.php) says it all.

You're peddling the promise of easy access to illegal content on the assumption (by the end user) that it's legal.

Edit: Not sure if posting the above link falls foul of the piracy policy but hopefully the explicit example I intended is evident.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Assassin HTPC selling Kodi bundled with banned addons0