i7-6700K can not do high bitrate 2160p60 UHD HEVC?
(2016-10-05, 14:39)qp9013625 Wrote: Ahahahaha, looks like even Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc supports 2160p60 @ HEVC Main 10 High Tier @ Level 5.1 with bitrates up to 100 Mbps, see page 14:

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/Downlo...150724.pdf

Big Grin Cool

So, you guys probably must be wrong in saying that no hardware can do this...

We did not say no hardware can do this but we say that probably no CPU can do it

Do you know the full hardware spec of your blu-ray player?
No GPU in it?
No dedicated video chip in it?
Moanbag is in da place!
(2016-10-05, 14:55)Gracus Wrote: Do you know the full hardware spec of your blu-ray player?

I do not own a Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc player and no not plan to own one.

I expect the Core i7-6700K, the most powerful consumer CPU to date ( Big Grin ), to handle this.

Unfortunately though, it seems like it doesn't, which is absolutely lame.

If Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc players can do better than the top-of-the-line high-end CPU, that is really questionable...

(2016-10-05, 14:55)Gracus Wrote: No GPU in it?
No dedicated video chip in it?

The i7-6700K has a GPU and a dedicated video chip in it (AFAIK). Why can't it do it?
You did not get it...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-10-05, 16:01)fritsch Wrote: You did not get a smooth framerate with the i7-6700K.

Fixed.
Let me help you.

Why can a 40 Dollar braswell decode hevc 8 bit 4k 40 Mbit while an ivb quadcore 3.4 GHz cannot?

Why will upcoming 3w Apollo Lake play your files, but not your 4770k?

Answer: cause one has capable Silicon and the other not. All argueing won't help.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-10-05, 15:25)qp9013625 Wrote: The i7-6700K has a GPU and a dedicated video chip in it (AFAIK). Why can't it do it?

The GPU and/or the dedicated chip are used ONLY if you enable hardware decoding (VAAPI)
The CPU will be used if you select software decoding
As far as I know there is no way to make them work at the same time...

If you bought your 6700K just for video decoding, it may have been a better idea to buy a less powerfull CPU and a GPU with better hardware decoding capabilities
Moanbag is in da place!
But the i7-6700K actually can play the following file quite smoothly using VAAPI:

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=143

But it produces a lot of hefty colored blocking artifacts upon playback.

Why?

Maybe it's a bug?

Have you guys tried it yourself in the meantime?
Yeah,
Could be an issue in intel GPU driver

As you can see, some peoples already had issues with these drivers (on windows but we never know): http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=292328
Moanbag is in da place!
@qp9013625
I tested those files on an odroid c2 with kodi-jarvis, my screen is 1080p, so there was scaling involved,
and ... everything plays smooth and crystal clear, no artifacts.
My main rig (i7-4770k + GTX760) doesn't sport a HEVC capable hardware decoder , can't test those samples Sad
Yep, the pesky little odroidc2 can decode HEVC 4k in hardware.

So it's not kodi fault.
It may be intel hardware, linux kernel, intel drivers, vaapi or whatever.
More like ffmpeg hevc decoder doesn't use sse/avx as much as it could.

Out of curiosity what fps do you get if do -

ffmpeg -i Sony_4K_Camp.mp4 -f null -
@AndyFurniss: On what is that assumption based? Just guessing? Or do you have that file running on THIS hardware using another decoder / render?
Vague memories of a developer saying more needs to be done. Of course that was some time ago and more may well have been done since.

There are still patches adding avx appearing on libav devel - so I guess it can get better. Just looking at the amount of files in libavcodec/x86 for hevc compared to h264 seems to be less stuff done - though I don't really know how much there is to be gained.

My old CPU (Phenom II x4) never seemed to benefit much (over initial hevc commit) - probably because it only does sse2.

On the h/w I just was curious what an i7-6700K can do on the test I gave = benching ffmpeg CPU decode without render. If it's close then maybe someday it could play that file.
(2016-10-06, 11:59)AndyFurniss Wrote: Out of curiosity what fps do you get if do -

ffmpeg -i Sony_4K_Camp.mp4 -f null -

This:

Code:
[null @ 0x2148bc0] Encoder did not produce proper pts, making some up.
frame= 7620 fps= 51 q=-0.0 Lsize=N/A time=00:02:07.14 bitrate=N/A    
video:714kB audio:23844kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead: unknown
20 % missing + zero copy renderpath.
Thanks. It seems that idct and sao already have AVX2 so maybe +20% is out of reach for "other stuff" whatever that means.

I looked on libav archive for the patch I saw and it's not going to help AVX2 CPUs as they already have SIMD for IDCT, it's for AVX and SSE2 the latter being good for me. I tested it and I get +25% on this sample.

Unfortunately going from 14 fps to 18 fps isn't really going to help much :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
i7-6700K can not do high bitrate 2160p60 UHD HEVC?0