Shuttle XS35
counter Wrote:OK, found the solution:

1. In configfiles, create a file "asound.conf"

*snip*

2. in XBMC, set "audio output device" to custom
  3. insert "pcm.both" into the text box
  4. Reboot.
  5. done.

You should now have playback and menu sounds on both analog and HDMI.

Cheers,
counter
Worked like a charm!

Great work counter Smile
Hey everyone,

So Ive had an old modded xbox for a long time now, and had a version of xbmc on it which has been great, but its time to say goodbye to it. Im considering the XS35, and most of the posts in this thread seem dedicated to bug type issues, but i was curious what everyones' overall impression are of the unit. For me my main priority will be audio playback quality , so i dont know if there might be another unit some of you would recommend or should i jump on this one.

thanks

steve
There's no bugs Smile
I had mine up and running from scratch in half an hour using openELEC (including mounting harddrive and RAM etc).

My only challenge was some sound settings, but that was not an XS35 issue, but more an linux/ION2--issue.

Remember to buy the GT version and a SSD
twinflower Wrote:Remember to buy the GT version and a SSD

Any recs on a good, reasonable ssd, its been a while since ive bought any hardware...
Exclamation 
Hey everybody

I'v just bought my XS35GT a few days ago. my setup is as following:

XS35GT (obviously) Big Grin
2 GB DDR2 Kingston Ram
64 GB Kingston SSD
Samsung Slim DVD-RW

I'v installed Dharma Beta 3, and installed til LAN driver manual. and everything works fine Smile

BUT when I plays a 720p or 1080p movie, everything still works fine... for 5 - 10 minutes.
after 5 - 10 minutes, the movie freezes a split sec, and then continues.
After the freeze there sudenley a lot og white pixels flickering all over the screen. and if I stopes the movie, they are stille there in the menues. :confused2:
I need to reboot the box, for them to disappear.
I'v left the box powered om for 24 houres, and that dosn't give any problems.
I'v played music on the box for 5 hours, and that also works fine.

does any of you have a similar problem. Or even better a solution to my problem.

P.S. what is the temp on your gpu? mine is 52 C idel and 56 - 58 C when playing 1080p movies

Thanks in advance

Christian
Skisax22 Wrote:Any recs on a good, reasonable ssd, its been a while since ive bought any hardware...
I bought the Intel X25 40gb
I bought a Western Digital classical 2,5 HDD, 40€ and boots with Openelec in prox. 13-14 secs from Bios. Fast enough for me.
For SDD recommendation I think the Intel are the best and most reliable, avoid SuperTalent.
@Deathscythe: no Probs so far here for me on Beta3/Openelec.
Ok so I am about to pull the trigger on a barebones xs35gt and then putting these parts in it. I think im gonna go without an optical drive for now, but I still need to figure out a wireless card, what have people been getting for that?

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820227551
Kingston 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820134587

Any reason this system shouldn't work great? Im admittedly not super experienced with building systems.
There are 14" HP DV4 notebooks on ebay with dual-core CPUs, 12.7mm sata optical drives (swap for blue-ray), 2/4GB of RAM, 320-500GB 2.5" HDDs, keyboard/LCD, 3USB ports + e-sata, NVidia 9200M that outputs to HDMI if connected to it, all for less than US$450. Is there any compelling reason to get a SX35 instead with a slower CPU?
Skisax22 Wrote:Ok so I am about to pull the trigger on a barebones xs35gt and then putting these parts in it. I think im gonna go without an optical drive for now, but I still need to figure out a wireless card, what have people been getting for that?

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820227551
Kingston 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820134587

Any reason this system shouldn't work great? Im admittedly not super experienced with building systems.
Unless you plan on storing other data on it like videos the 128ssd is overkill for a xbmc front end a 32gig one is more than enough
Hello all,

Does anyone know if this device is powerful enough for:

-Sickbeard / Sabnzbd
- streaming video from dreambox to internet ( transcoding in vlc server )
- running a vpn server

Did anyone maybe also check the power consumption ? im just curious about itSmile
I hope someone can give me an answer.

Thank you in advance
Jezz_X Wrote:Unless you plan on storing other data on it like videos the 128ssd is overkill for a xbmc front end a 32gig one is more than enough

I plan on using it to store/serve all my music (about 80 gigs), so I wanted to the flexibility going forward
Skisax22 Wrote:I plan on using it to store/serve all my music (about 80 gigs), so I wanted to the flexibility going forward

My advice: Save the money and just go for a 30GB SSD and buy an additional big, quiet 3,5' harddrive in an external case.
- you can store enough HD movies on the external drive
- you have less write operations on your SSD
- you can take your mass storage disk with you (for getting movies from friends)
- if you really need the system to be totally quiet for a particular movie, you can temporarily copy the movie to the SSD and switch the external harddrive off
(- if you don't have to many music files, you can still run then from the SSD)

Disadvantages:
- you have to put the drive somewhere on your tv desk Smile
- slighty louder with external disk switched on (depending on the disk, it should however still be almost unhearable)

Cheers
counter Wrote:My advice: Save the money and just go for a 30GB SSD and buy an additional big, quiet 3,5' harddrive in an external case.
Cheers

thanks for the advice, I think I will look into that. yeah It seemed like it was gonna add a bit more expense than I was hoping. So Im unclear does the barebones unit, like the one below have a wireless card? I was reading through earlier posts in this thread and I was unclear on that?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
DeathscytheDK Wrote:Hey everybody

I'v just bought my XS35GT a few days ago. my setup is as following:

XS35GT (obviously) Big Grin
2 GB DDR2 Kingston Ram
64 GB Kingston SSD
Samsung Slim DVD-RW

I'v installed Dharma Beta 3, and installed til LAN driver manual. and everything works fine Smile

BUT when I plays a 720p or 1080p movie, everything still works fine... for 5 - 10 minutes.
after 5 - 10 minutes, the movie freezes a split sec, and then continues.
After the freeze there sudenley a lot og white pixels flickering all over the screen. and if I stopes the movie, they are stille there in the menues. :confused2:
I need to reboot the box, for them to disappear.
I'v left the box powered om for 24 houres, and that dosn't give any problems.
I'v played music on the box for 5 hours, and that also works fine.

does any of you have a similar problem. Or even better a solution to my problem.

P.S. what is the temp on your gpu? mine is 52 C idel and 56 - 61 C when playing 1080p movies

Thanks in advance

Christian

Okay. I could realy use some help now Confused

you can see my problem in these 2 clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-uZ5pi6Rtw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-FITGkvnyw

the strange this is, that I only have the problem on my TV (Samsung LE46A676A1W). The TV is running 1080p and the shuttle is connected with a HDMI cabel.

When I connect it to a monitor with a HDMI-DVI cabel (1280x1024) there is no problem.

I'v also connected a Blue-Ray, XBOX360, PS3 and HD-settopbox to the same HDMI port on the TV as the shuttle, and with the same cabel, and there is also no problems.

any ideas?

- Christian
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shuttle XS354