XBMC 'back' navigation confusing, can it be changed?
Personally i like the idea with the "B" Button to go back to the home screen from the root directory. I always asked myself why this has been implemented like it is now, and it seems confusing for the majority of users.
I am used to it to use the "Back" Button to go directly to the home screen, but as markeen says it is just an simple addition which is more user-friendly and makes XBMC more usable for beginners.
My XBOX built into a Sony Hifi CD-Player Case
XBOX Hifi Media Center Picture Gallery

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i too would prefer if back went back to home screen from a root dir/
Gamester17 Wrote:I agree with spiff on this / my 2 cents

PS! majority of users use DVD-remote
We have the same issue with the DVD remote, one button for back, and another for home.

It's all to do with the point of view, technically different things, but to some portion of users (me included) it is still confusing, even after using XBMC for about 2 years now Smile
my vote is to make it work for controller and remote.
jgawera Wrote:We have the same issue with the DVD remote, one button for back, and another for home.
yes by design (on purpose), same as for the gamepad-controller
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
to let everyone know, the patch has been updated with minor changes:
- can know be enabled/disabled in advancedsettings.xml with the tag <AlwaysWorkingB> (this will hopfully help the patch be integrated into the cvs).
- I also added a few entries in the keymap.xml (can't be made optional (or can it ?) so I guess it won't ever be integrated).

Gamester17 : you wrote in the patch thread that "it's not user-friendly to have two ways of doing the same thing". Where does that come from ? On the contrary I find it always useful to have several ways of doing the most common UI tasks (ex: copy function = Edit->copy, Ctrl+C, 'Copy' button on a toolbar).
I am also genuinely interested to know where you get the information that most xbmc users use the remote ? Do you have some stats on the xbmc users ?
thx

Edit :
jgawera : sorry i missed your post. As far as i understand my patch Smile it sould work for the remote. But I don't have a remote so I can't say for sure. I also didn't change anything for the remote in the keymap.xml for the same reason.
I'm happy to implement this but am very busy at the moment.

If someone else wants to do it, please make sure it's done properly (eg no code should be in GoParentFolder() - it should be done in OnAction()).

Cheers,
Jonathan

changed : GoParentFolder now returns true if it went up one folder and false if not. Action can be then taken accordingly in OnAction.
So it's integrated now in CVS?

Will it need to be enabled in AdvancedSettings as described above?

***edited**** nevermind! I misunderstood your post, Markeen.
Gamester17 Wrote:yes by design (on purpose), same as for the gamepad-controller

Sorry, I thought you were saying that most users use the DVD remote, implying that it wasn't an issue for them.
Smile
is there a remote controler user out there who could tell me if the patch works ok ? thx
I just noticed this was added to the latest build (2006-08-22) and it is working great. Even though I've been using XBMC for a long time now I would always catch myself trying to press B (or back on the remote) to return to the main menu and now it actually works! Smile

One other place I think it would be handy to have it implemented as well is when you go into the movie information window. The controller back button (or remote menu button) is the only one that will take you out of it.
I second LaTropa64's suggestion.

Also - it would be usefull to have this behaviour consistent when navigating with the "settings" section.

Actually - if possible, the "Back" option should be used consistently everywhere in XBMC.

Thanks,
A.
it doesnt work from my weather, or from the audio subsection of the video OSD either.
Check your keymaps.

I definitely committed the updated one as can be seen here:

http://xbmc.cvs.sourceforge.net/xbmc/XBM...11&r2=1.12

Just grab it from there if it wasn't correct in the T3CH build.

Cheers,
Jonathan

ah, your right, hadn't updated updated my userdata folder at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 'back' navigation confusing, can it be changed?0