Solved Question about correctly setting Limited Range with a Beamer
All the content you play is Limited Range. So set it to Limited Range.

But it really does not matter - you only need to take care _not_ to do the contradicting kodi settings.

Setting "Use Limited Range" to true _and_ setting the beamer to full range is totally foobar and insanely "non intelligent" ...
Setting "Use Limited Range" to false _and_ setting the beamer to limited range is as "non intelligent" :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
One very stupid question , not that we are talking about 2 different things.

Is this ON or OFF with the Limited Range Setting ?

http://imgur.com/gallery/682ZJWh
Use Confluence Skin ... lol - you are a funny guy. I for sure won't help you reading a "fancy" looking skin where false / true cannot be distinguished ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
one more thing, i've read somewhere that you said that one should Enable HQ Scalers for Scaling Above to 20% .

Is that still correct or should it be set to 0%
No it's 20%.

Why would you use hq scalers to scale 1920x1080 to 1920x080, e.g. doing _no scaling at all_ but wasting cycles?
ok, thanks for the help. will do all those settings now and try.
Cmon Smile
I thought you were using a stable build, like Kodibuntu or something.
If you use EGL build as it seems you are, then the only thing you need to set regarding correct videolevels is:
(From a clean system)
Set Kodi to limited. Turn off dithering. Set your beamer to limited. That's all! Super duper easy!

Adjust your beamer as needed. The beamer has adjustments because they might be needed. Not all beamers are alike (even the same model), it also matters what picturemode you're in, what/type of screen you have, etc.
ps! level 17 should be really close to invisible (or black for that matter). You should not distingush the levels clearly from viewing position before level 19. When calibrating level 17, stand an inch from the screen Big Grin
i was at a stable build OE 6.0.0. eg Kodi 15.2

After Reading i upgraded to V.17 alpha and fritsch's Version. But than i guess i was confused with the old settings that were supposed to be done on the stable build , and not doing anything (besides the Vaapi settings) .

But it does run now , and the Contrast ist back to 0 and the Brightness to +2
(2016-01-10, 14:07)DrPepper Wrote: i was at a stable build OE 6.0.0. eg Kodi 15.2

After Reading i upgraded to V.17 alpha and fritsch's Version. But than i guess i was confused with the old settings that were supposed to be done on the stable build , and not doing anything (besides the Vaapi settings) .

But it does run now , and the Contrast ist back to 0 and the Brightness to +2

Okay - so all is fine and fixed?
Yes , it very much looks like it. Thanks for the help !!
Cool, then edit the tread title, please and prefix: [Solved] - also add to the first post in red color.

Fixed with:
- Kodi v17
- Custom kernel with Passthrough Color Mode

please.
(2016-01-09, 01:58)fritsch Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 01:45)DrPepper Wrote: is that patch and kernel already included in your latest OE build here :

http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/openelec/...r_testing/
?

Yes, since > 6 months. As posted in the very first sticky thread in linux forum

Sorry fritsch - had completely passed me by. Great development. (So there is a third xrandr mode which is effectively "Tell the GPU to expect passthrough 16-235 and output untouched what it is presented, i.e. run in "Broadcast Full but flag as Broadcast Limited in InfoFrames"?)
Exactly.

I'd tell it: Don't clamp, but signal Limited.
Is there any chance of this work making its way to desktop and X and future X replacements? (ie. compress RGB encoding in UI, bet let video from youtube in a browser pass through). Would be great to able to still use desktop.. Big Grin
Intel wants to add such possibilities to wayland, e.g. annotation of surfaces. It won't hit for the next years and work has not yet started - i am quite sure. I also sent the above code to intel's Mailing-List, but chances are low to get that stuff in, as said their wayland devs don't like it. But in their arguing OpenGL players like kodi don't have a future anyways - one should use gstreamer they said :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about correctly setting Limited Range with a Beamer0