It's 4k HDTV time
(2016-06-09, 15:28)TheShoe Wrote: where is everyone getting 4K video files from?
As mentioned, your best best it to wait for someone to figure out how to rip Ultra HD Blu-ray discs and release ripper software to the public so you can make your own backups.

(2016-06-09, 15:28)TheShoe Wrote: i would try to get something with full resolution passive 3D as well. have far too much invested in 3D content.
As far as I know there are no movies on disc (or streraming) released in 4K 3D as of yet, are there?

So for now I'm pretty sure that you will just have to choose 3D version or 4K version, not both.
You probably realize this, but 4K is just about meaningless on a 55" TV at average viewing distances. The only practical benefit I can think of is access to higher bitrate streams from Netflix, Youtube et al.

Heck, at my viewing distance of 12ft DVDs and Blu Rays look nearly indistinguishable on a 55" screen. The biggest giveaway is Blu Ray's higher color saturation.

If you want the best viewing experience I think you'll find that contrast is much more important than resolution. And the key component of contrast is black level, because the eye is more sensitive to dark gradations and because it's applicable to all existing media.

IMO, the best value "videophile" TV out right now is the 55" 1080p LG OLED. You can pick one up on sale for ~$1250 or wait few months for it to drop below $1k. Get it calibrated and you're all set.
(2016-06-10, 12:44)RockerC Wrote: As far as I know there are no movies on disc (or streraming) released in 4K 3D as of yet, are there?

AFAIK, 3D is out of the uhd standard altogether, so there will never be 4K 3D movies.
Similar to what happened w/MVC addition in present Blu-ray technology, couldn't the 4K Blu-ray standard be expanded to add 4K 3D in the future? For this to happen though, just from a business POV, 4K TV's/projectors would need to have a large enough user base, where 4K BD's as a smaller subset of that market is large enough to succeed, and 4K 3D as yet an even smaller subset, is still decent size for studious/manufactureres to care about.

I'm not sure that market for 4K 3D will be there, and probably even 4K, at least in format we care about: BD's. 4K will probably remain niche. Why?...

(2016-06-10, 13:26)ZwartePiet Wrote: ...4K is just about meaningless on a 55" TV at average viewing distances. Heck, at my viewing distance of 12ft DVDs and Blu Rays look nearly indistinguishable on a 55" screen. The biggest giveaway is Blu Ray's higher color saturation.

What @ZwartePiet pointed out is correct. Even on my 65" 4K TV I can really only appreciate resolution difference between 4K and 1080p at about 5-7ft viewing distances. Beyond that, it starts to become a wash. This is why what I'm really waiting for an affordable 4K PJ to beam onto my 133" screen. But, something less than $3K is probably unlikely until next year. For most users, and 4K screen sizes they have (or will buy), they won't appreciate the bump in resolution, color gamut, etc. Plus, most that do care about 4K will be happy getting it from Netflix, Amazon and other online streaming.

Still, articles like these give me some hope that we might see continued support for 3D, at least as is, or maybe even as part of some updated 4K standard in the future:
- http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my...50416_1600
- http://televisions.reviewed.com/news/gla...es-it-look
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Something that isn't taken into account though is that services like Netflix and Vudu are pushing out a lot more bits for 4K vs 1080p. So while true, you can only appreciate resolution differences based on your viewing distance, it's not exactly apples to oranges when you're getting a much better quality picture with 4K than what you're getting with 1080p from streaming services. Also when you add in HDR that will come with 4K and won't come with 1080p, it's even more noticable.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
I can just say that if you want the best 4K TV with support for all current HDR standards get the LG 65E6 OLED TV. I have it and it is amazing! Smile
AppleTV 4K, LG 65E6 OLED TV, Marantz NR1606, Harmony Elite
(2016-06-10, 19:58)_Spook_ Wrote: I can just say that if you want the best 4K TV with support for all current HDR standards get the LG 65E6 OLED TV. I have it and it is amazing! Smile

I couldn't agree more! I have the same TV and it's truly outstanding, especially when it comes to 4K content (either HDR or DV). I had the last year model (EF9500), which had a lot of banding issues and staining, but LG has done a phenomenal job with this year's model (B, E, G). For those who like 3D, model E is the perfect one - the 3D on this set is absolutely stunning (better than some of the theaters I have been to) and since it's 4K, you can get full 1080P resolution on passive 3D.

One significant downside is the cost - MSRP is $5999 for the 65" E6 version.
Yeah, the cost is a pain in the backside. But plenty worth it!

EDIT: Now I just need to figure out if it's worth getting the HiMedia Q10 Pro to get the HDR and 10bit playback Smile
(2016-06-10, 20:09)_Spook_ Wrote: Yeah, the cost is a pain in the backside. But plenty worth it!

EDIT: Now I just need to figure out if it's worth getting the HiMedia Q10 Pro to get the HDR and 10bit playback Smile

I would say, hold-off. The next iteration of these boxes will likely have the DV chip integrated into them. Until then, you can use the inbuilt web os 3 based apps (Netflix, Amazon, Vudu - coming soon). I have a Shield TV, which is great in the sense that it will be HDR capable by the end of this month, but the only thing missing (for me) is the lack of MVC decoding for 3D. I am seriously considering getting a Pi3 just for playing 3D movies.

Also, not sure if you have noticed, but there is definitely a perceptible difference between DV and HDR10 content. I believe this is primarily due to the fact that DV is dynamic (changes scene by scene) and is pre-calibrated to each TV (model/manufacturer) vs. HDR10, which is static for the entire show/movie. But in the long run, I just hope we go with one standard and make it backward compatible (don't want the HD-DVD vs Bluray fight all over).
I have a shield here somewhere also. Not used it much, just for testing. Will start clean when 3.2 is released and see how that plays out Smile
With Shield, a Skull Canyon and HiMedia if you get one, you'll be in a pretty unique position to compare various 4K outputs.

BTW, I've updated the A/V Samples wiki w/additional 4K samples to test with, including 2x DolbyVision clips from @soyhakan.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-06-10, 21:52)hdmkv Wrote: With Shield, a Skull Canyon and HiMedia if you get one, you'll be in a pretty unique position to compare various 4K outputs.

BTW, I've updated the A/V Samples wiki w/additional 4K samples to test with, including 2x DolbyVision clips from @soyhakan.

More samples if you need:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-e6-o...t-23736980

I will see over the weekend if I get a Q10. So far the skull canyon is not a winner since CPU does not have 10bit support and firmware for HDMI 2.0 output is not 2.0a yet. But the hardware do support it: http://www.paradetech.com/products/displ...ers/ps175/
thread focus please Smile 4k UHD HDTV recommendations, not players. Include model numbers too.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-06-10, 14:09)Koying Wrote:
(2016-06-10, 12:44)RockerC Wrote: As far as I know there are no movies on disc (or streraming) released in 4K 3D as of yet, are there?

AFAIK, 3D is out of the uhd standard altogether, so there will never be 4K 3D movies.

it's not in the spec now but it may be added; i would not say "never" this early in the game.

really what I like is that some 4K sets will display a 1080p 3D movie in full res instead of half/eye. passive does reduce eye strain and relieves from having to be extremely controlling on ambient light.

some of the true 4K content i've seen off UHD has simply been stunning - feel as if i could fall into the screen; but as with most things, how was it mastered? was it from a 2K master or 4K? if shot digitally, was it shot in high enough resolution?

--
Hi Davilla. Only TV I would touch is the LG OLED 2016 models. In your case the B6 model seems to fit in just nicely* http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED55B6P-oled-4k-tv

It's just not my opinion, it's just the way it is^

*Except it's probably double or triple the price of a "similar" TV from Vizio..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
It's 4k HDTV time1