• 4(current)
ArchLinux + XBMC = Amazing!
what exactly are you trying to do?!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hello gentlemen,

I am in the process of writing a howto for the wiki on installing XBMC on Arch. I am waiting on getting ninja status so I can add it. If any of you more advanced Arch users would like to help contribute please PM me. I will add the link once I can get it up.

http://www.jskube.com/wiki/index.php/HOW...nofficial)

This is hosted on my personal server at home so please dont beat it to death. This is by no means complete and I am just looking for feed back.
i run startx by :
6) edit /home/USER/.xinitrc - add "/usr/bin/xbmc --standalone" without quotes.
each time i login to terminal from other pc i get this Error:
xauth: creating new authority file /home/xbmc/.serverauth.2860

Huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i run startx by :
Quote:6) edit /home/USER/.xinitrc - add "/usr/bin/xbmc --standalone" without quotes.

Huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jskube Wrote:Hello gentlemen,

I am in the process of writing a howto for the wiki on installing XBMC on Arch. I am waiting on getting ninja status so I can add it. If any of you more advanced Arch users would like to help contribute please PM me.

I wouldn't consider myself advanced by any means, but your wiki looks great. I'll check it out in more detail when I have a few spare minutes and see if I have anything to add.

Thanks for putting that together!
abauomy Wrote:i run startx by :

Huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

abuomy, seriously no offense, but are you really sure you are experienced enough to get xbmc running on Arch? This requires some work and quite a lot of general Linux experience. I don't want to push you away from this great distro but if all that you want is a running xbmc maybe you're better of with the great XBMCLive or the common "install-xbmc-on-ubuntu"-way. Nod

/Haggy

P.S: What you're seeing is not an error.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
jskube Wrote:I am in the process of writing a howto for the wiki on installing XBMC on Arch. I am waiting on getting ninja status so I can add it. If any of you more advanced Arch users would like to help contribute please PM me. I will add the link once I can get it up.

Wow this is great, will definitely spend my experience so far with that, if you guys are willing to correct my crappy english Wink

EDIT: If we come up with some actually useful tutorial it would be a good thing to also add that to the official arch wiki?!
Haggy Wrote:Wow this is great, will definitely spend my experience so far with that, if you guys are willing to correct my crappy english Wink

EDIT: If we come up with some actually useful tutorial it would be a good thing to also add that to the official arch wiki?!

Bad english is fine, I havent proof read anything so there are tons of typos.

I am also looking for someone who has an ATI card and how they set it up. I only have an NVIDIA card so thats all I can reference.
jskube Wrote:I am also looking for someone who has an ATI card and how they set it up. I only have an NVIDIA card so thats all I can reference.

I had an ATI card the first time I did it...I'll see if I can remember any steps that were different than the Nvidia stuff.
Well, facing the fact that Arch has banned that crappy binary blob from ATI from the repos due to ATI refusing to get that damn thing running on 2.6.29 and beyond, i doubt it is even possible to come up with a solution that works nearly as wonderful as with nvidia. Hopefully you find something for those poor ATI guys Smile
Ive added more stuff, any other suggestions for what should be in there? I know I need to add a section on backgrounding start up items to the speed up boot section.
Haggy Wrote:Hopefully you find something for those poor ATI guys Smile

Well, I used (and still use on my main computer) the radeonhd driver and it works great, so I'd recommend that before the "official" one. Of course I'd also recommend pulling your own wisdom teeth with a rusty spoon before I recommended using the proprietary ATI driver.

Of course, the problem is that if you use anything other than the proprietary driver, tv-out is limited to a resolution of 800x600.
jskube Wrote:I know I need to add a section on backgrounding start up items to the speed up boot section.

I have great results with the quick-init package from AUR. It lowered my boot time from 24 to ~10 seconds from GRUB to usable XBMC. Smokin'! Cool
I can second that, quick-init is perfect for what we're doing here.
Smile THX Haggy

I do it already
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ArchLinux + XBMC = Amazing!2