• 464(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
@situ debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-09-09, 04:33)nickr Wrote: @A2K81 if you can ping 8.8.8.8 then you are connected to the internet.

Wait, I ran ping from my laptop. Is there a way to run ping within kodi on the chromebox?

Sorry. I know i'm brutal. Talk to me like a child lol.
Yes, SSH into your chromebox.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Matt,

Thank you for all your work.
Im another person with the No Signal issue after an upgrade to 4k tv. Ive got Vizio d65u-d2. I use asus chromebox cn60, with dual boot mode.

Booting Chromebox with everything connected either direct to tv or through AV Receiver results in No Signal, no matter the TV settings, Receiver settings or forcing the 1920x1080 via autostart.sh. it just doesnt boot at all.

There is a trick, however. If i turn the chromebox off, disconnect the hdmi cable, turn it on, connect hdmi back in 2 seconds, it would boot normally, 4k will work etc.

Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks

Upd: nevermind. It does work in a single boot mode with custom loader from your script. And Im still trying to get anything out of Vizio support. Was the problem ever confirmed by either TV manufacturer or the Chromebox folks? The fact that it worked with custom loader means it was chromebox end, or it just contains some kind of workaround?
After a lot of time spent lurking and watching this thread I finally bought a Lenovo ThinkCentre Chromebox. Thanks so much Matt for all your hard work. The instructions to dual boot LibreElec worked great. Everything is running smoothly and I think I have a great Kodi box for a long time to come.
(2016-09-10, 07:20)sebastian_fl Wrote: Matt,

Thank you for all your work.
Im another person with the No Signal issue after an upgrade to 4k tv. Ive got Vizio d65u-d2. I use asus chromebox cn60, with dual boot mode.

Booting Chromebox with everything connected either direct to tv or through AV Receiver results in No Signal, no matter the TV settings, Receiver settings or forcing the 1920x1080 via autostart.sh. it just doesnt boot at all.

There is a trick, however. If i turn the chromebox off, disconnect the hdmi cable, turn it on, connect hdmi back in 2 seconds, it would boot normally, 4k will work etc.

Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks

Upd: nevermind. It does work in a single boot mode with custom loader from your script. And Im still trying to get anything out of Vizio support. Was the problem ever confirmed by either TV manufacturer or the Chromebox folks? The fact that it worked with custom loader means it was chromebox end, or it just contains some kind of workaround?

so you're saying it works in standalone mode (with my custom firmware), but didn't work in a dual boot setup? If that's the case, the only difference in video init is that dual boot mode will init the video to 1024x768 @ 60Hz, in order to show the developer mode boot screen (where you select which OS to boot). It possible that your TV doesn't support this mode (or was very slow to switch to it). From that point on, both setups perform identical steps - SeaBIOS (re)inits the video to VGA text mode to show the splash/boot menu screen, then LibreELEC loads and the video driver negotiates the optimal resolution/refresh (1080p60 I'd expect).

From what I've seen, it certainly sounds like there's an issue with Vizio 4K sets and showing the developer mode boot screen. It's hard to ascertain fault for certain, but I suspect neither Vizio nor Intel is completely blameless.

(2016-09-10, 15:25)buckslayr Wrote: After a lot of time spent lurking and watching this thread I finally bought a Lenovo ThinkCentre Chromebox. Thanks so much Matt for all your hard work. The instructions to dual boot LibreElec worked great. Everything is running smoothly and I think I have a great Kodi box for a long time to come.

thanks for the kind words Smile
(2016-09-10, 15:25)buckslayr Wrote: After a lot of time spent lurking and watching this thread I finally bought a Lenovo ThinkCentre Chromebox. Thanks so much Matt for all your hard work. The instructions to dual boot LibreElec worked great. Everything is running smoothly and I think I have a great Kodi box for a long time to come.

I bit the bullet last year or longer ago and bought the Asus Celeron Chromebox and did single boot with OpenElec. Had zero problems, it was awesome having such a guide and amazing support. Just this morning I did factory reset, with not even having to use my own firmware backup, then went straight to standalone LibreElec as if it was for the first time. Again, flawless victory. I'm still a complete oblivious newbie, yet can follow these instructions nice and easily. Very happy and thankful this thread and Mr Chromebox website exist.
(2016-09-10, 22:42)jrochet Wrote: I bit the bullet last year or longer ago and bought the Asus Celeron Chromebox and did single boot with OpenElec. Had zero problems, it was awesome having such a guide and amazing support. Just this morning I did factory reset, with not even having to use my own firmware backup, then went straight to standalone LibreElec as if it was for the first time. Again, flawless victory. I'm still a complete oblivious newbie, yet can follow these instructions nice and easily. Very happy and thankful this thread and Mr Chromebox website exist.

While I'm happy to hear everything went smoothly with that approach, it's completely unnecessary to do a factory reset for any reason other than to revert to ChromeOS. Just changing from one OS to another requires nothing more than booting the OS install media from USB and doing a clean install (same as any other PC) Smile
Hello Experts,

I need your help as I am stuck with a gbb.flags firmware problem when I try to enter developer mode on a previously flashed single boot Chromebox.

The Chromebox will boot into ChromeOS correctly:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Pgvj...VJhcGIweDg

However, when I try to enter developer mode I get this error:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Pgvj...2VoUUdOYkE

I have a newer Asus Chromebox for Meetings unit (Core i7 5500 chipset) that I was successfully able to install your firmware to single boot install Windows 10 on it. After significant effort, I can't get the HDMI audio to work, nor the HDMI output to send out a stable image without jittering to my Samsung 4K TV. So I called it quits and tried to switch to a dual boot ChromeOS / LibreElec unit setup instead. I followed the "7 Resetting to Stock" instructions and "Perform a Factory Reset" instructions on your Wiki.

Here is what I did and where I am stuck.

1. Created a bootable Unbuntu USB stick and launched the Unbuntu terminal from the USB stick to launch your script to restore the stock firmware
2. Chose the firmware that matched my Chromebox which is an Asus CN62
3. Rebooted
4. Created a Chromebox recovery USB stick from the Google utility. When the Chromebox asked for a recovery USB stick I put it in the Chromebox and the Chromebox continued to reinstall ChromeOS
5. Removed the Chromebox recovery USB stick once it was done
6. Rebooted. ChromeOS then launched and it appears to be working ok
7. Turned off the Chromebox
8. Pressed the recovery button and powered up

Observed: Error showing something about the firmware and ChromeOS is missing and damaged
Expected: ChromeOS is in developer mode

I put the Chromebox recovery USB stick back in and it then continues to reinstall ChromeOS. I take recovery USB stick out, Chromebox reboots, and launched ChromeOS.

At this point, I am unable to enter "developer mode" so I can access the ChromeOS terminal to run your script to install the dual boot firmware configuration.

What can I do so that I can install the dual boot Chromebox firmware where I can have both ChromeOS and LibreELEC?

Thanks,

SK
(2016-09-12, 00:00)samurai_k Wrote: At this point, I am unable to enter "developer mode" so I can access the ChromeOS terminal to run your script to install the dual boot firmware configuration.

you're already in Developer Mode, you never left it (plus: the GBB flags are forcing Developer Mode on). Boot ChromeOS normally and proceed from there.
Thanks for the quick response.

So when I boot the Chromebox, it will ask me to connect to a network and eventually get me to a login page such as below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Pgvj...0RUcjdGSkk

I am using the following keyboards

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Pgvj...3V3bklaNFE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Pgvj...DVuMTBnSzQ

and tried every possible combination of "Hit [CTRL+ALT+F2] to get to command prompt ([CTRL+ALT]+left arrow] for ChromeOS keyboards)" to launch the terminal in ChromeOS. Even tried a Apple USB keyboard and no progress.

Any ideas?

-------------------------------------------
Using the Kodi E-Z Setup Script
-------------------------------------------

To run the Kodi E-Z Setup Script from ChromeOS, perform the following steps:
Power on and boot to ChromeOS. DO NOT LOG IN TO ChromeOS, but do ensure a network connection is set up
Hit [CTRL+ALT+F2] to get to command prompt ([CTRL+ALT]+left arrow] for ChromeOS keyboards)
Login with user chronos (no password required)
Download and run the setup script using the following command (then hit enter):
Update, I finally was able to get to terminal using another technique. The following is what I did (as this is not documented in the wiki)

1. Boot up ChromeOS
2. Establish a network connection
3. Login as Guest
4. Hit [CTRL+ALT+T] This will launch Crosh in the browser.
5. Type in the command: Shell

This allowed me to finally get to the terminal where I could run the script...
(2016-09-12, 01:29)samurai_k Wrote: Update, I finally was able to get to terminal using another technique. The following is what I did (as this is not documented in the wiki)

1. Boot up ChromeOS
2. Establish a network connection
3. Login as Guest
4. Hit [CTRL+ALT+T] This will launch Crosh in the browser.
5. Type in the command: Shell

This allowed me to finally get to the terminal where I could run the script...

that was going to be my next suggestion. The reason it's not documented in the wiki is because it's potentially problematic for some of the script functions, due to ChromeOS automatically mounting inserted USB/SD media. This can disrupt or cause a failure when backing up the stock firmware and/or creating the LibreELEC install media
(2016-09-09, 07:53)nickr Wrote: Yes, SSH into your chromebox.

I can't SSH into the chromebox when this happens, it just times out on me.
(2016-09-12, 02:02)A2K81 Wrote:
(2016-09-09, 07:53)nickr Wrote: Yes, SSH into your chromebox.

I can't SSH into the chromebox when this happens, it just times out on me.
I'd really recommend booting a Linux live USB as suggested earlier to determine if hardware or software issue. Either that, or backup your exiting LE config to USB and do a Soft Reset via the LE control panel
  • 464(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37