• 5(current)
Arctic MC101 Barebone (A10)- very powerful low power HTPC....
I got it to work with the Windows 8 drivers as well.

Just having another problem at the moment: faulty memory :-(
Arctic support absolutely sucks so I'm not sure how long it will take to rma it or if I get a reply from them at all.
Fully agree with you woomba. Arctic support absolutely sucks.
I got no answer to my request...

This computer is very nice but I don't advise to buy it due to the quality of the support...
On a positive note, I also contacted Arctic support in Switzerland (lucky I speak German). Got an answer the next day.
I can basically send the faulty memory to them and they will replace it. Much easier and cheaper than sending the whole unit.
Let's see how that goes...

Hi,

I'm a mc101 user too since one month and as i can't get ir reciever working on openelec (wich is a great linux distrubution !) i had installed w8...but i'v got a problem : i can't wake up the computer with the ir remote...does someone having the same issue ?

and another problem is that windows shows just 3.5Gb of ram (i bought 4)
My HP MCE remote works perfectly. Did you get the Arctic one?

Sounds like you installed the 32bit version of Windows 8?! In that case it's normal that it shows 3.5GB
Yes, I get the artcic one and no, I installed the 64bit version of windows...openelec shows 3.5Gb too...a ram problem could do such thing ?

For the ir problem it's not working since i have installed windows...it was working with openelec (but now it's not)....may be I have done some changes in bios (my panasonic ST50 can't display it) when I changed priority boot to boot on openelec or windows changes something to the configuration ?
Hi Gigawa,

If OpenElec is the generic i386 version, it's a 32 bit distribution, that's why you have missing RAM.

For the IR receiver, there is a know problem with Linux and the MC101 BIOS. I tried to contact the support several times without success.
I hope they will release a new BIOS revision with the IR PnP problem fixed...

Hi Bwana,

That's strange from arctic to recommend openelec but not doing the ir receiver working properly Sad i triyed this update (http://www.arctic.ac/en/support/download...&pid=10056) but it didn't changed anything...

This week-end i will plug the mc101 on my parent's LCD panel and check bios settings (again) to see if i've changed something...and if I see nothing I will reset bios settings...Hoping it will fix the ir power on problem ^^

My father have an harmony controler and I will try it too Smile
I spend hours to try to understand why the IR receiver doesn't work on Linux.
After debugging the IR driver, I remarked their is a I/O conflict between the AMD chipset and the Nuvoton receiver.
The PnP BIOS claimed two overlapping I/O range (the receiver is at address 0x420).
The proof the BIOS is bugged (even with the latest version) is when you try to change the I/O range of the IR receiver, it doesn't change (even on Windows!!!!), it remains to be at address 0x4200.
==> You can try it by yourself, if you don't have this behavior, let me know.

If Arctic can update the BIOS to fix this problem, we will get the IR receiver working on Linux (and OpenElec)...

If anybody knows how to get in touch with Arctic's support, please let me know, I can send them more information on this problem (I already send many e-mails to support, without response Confused).

Ok i'll do it this week-end Smile

Right now i can't see bios configuration but windows displays this :

Ok, if you try to change the I/O or even the IRQ in the BIOS it will not change in the device manager.

So, in the end, is it Arctic a good thing or a bad thing?
Definelty think it is the BIOS. I was silly enough to have the IR receiver working then decided to do the December 2012 firmware update and it stopped working. Unfortunately there was no backup firmware procedure and they don't have old versions on their website.

The jury is still out for me as to if it is a winner or not. Currently running windows 7 but haven't used the tuner yet. No IR on OpenELEC was a deal breaker for me so running windows. I think in another 6 months they will have a new firmware out and OpenELEC will work with it.

If you want OpenELEC wait for a the new BIOS and 64bit support by OpenELEC. I'm sure it will be awesome
Anyone know what the maximum HDD Sizes you can put in the barebones are?

Looking to have a SSD as primary then as large as possible 2nd drive.

Depending on the size though does anyone know what the largest 2 drives the can be added? Can't see to find it online or in Artics website.

Also anyone tried using with a Logitech Harmony?
(2012-11-26, 17:35)rtino Wrote: I've bought it directly from Arctic Germany.
I transferred the money on wednesday and received the unit on Saturday. I live in The Netherlands.

I've ordered it with the 8GB RAM and the unit I received had some small scratched on it. It seemed like the guy putting in the extra memory didn't do it with the care necessary ...

Hi, could you give me a link to communicate with Arctic Germany?
Do they have a web site ?
I am looking for a dealer in Europe.
thanks !
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Arctic MC101 Barebone (A10)- very powerful low power HTPC....0