• 50(current)
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]
(2015-08-07, 15:31)haribizzle Wrote:
(2015-08-06, 16:15)As86 Wrote: Now got Windows 10 up and running on mine.

So far so good, got more disk space remaining than with windows 8 too (its removed the backup drive by the looks of things)

Hi, how was the upgrade process? I'm finding it difficult to get on with Windows 8 so would like to move to Win10. Did you use any type of guide?

As straight forward as it could be tbh, everything is done for you.
It just asks what you want to keep and then upgrades. Only issue I had was I didn't have enough drive space to upgrade, but it gives you the option to put your backup windows onto an external drive/memory stick (which I did)

All app's I had work fine on 10 (Netflix etc), I run kodi out of windows so cant comment on kodi-launcher etc.
Kodi seems quicker in 10 than 8 to me too.
(2015-08-07, 15:31)haribizzle Wrote: Hi, how was the upgrade process? I'm finding it difficult to get on with Windows 8 so would like to move to Win10. Did you use any type of guide?

The easiest way is to download the (approx 4GB) windows 10 installer from Microsoft and put it on a 16GB USB stick (you download a little utility that does the packaging up onto a USB stick). Run up Windows 8.1 as normal and then put in the USB stick and run the setup utility on it. During the setup it asks for a 10GB space to put stuff, you can point it at a second USB stick (or, I think, the same one as it has enough space). When the upgrade completes it will have removed the Wimboot/recovery partition from the internal SSD and renamed the old Windows directory as Windows.old. You end up with around 10GB free on the SSD. If you don't intend to revert to Windows 8.1 you can remove the Windows.old directory.
Regarding the mounting of the 260 G1 on the back of a 100mm VESA mount TV or monitor. Although I haven't yet fitted it, I've purchased this two-piece mount. Basically, one side bolts onto the 260 G1, the other to the TV/Monitor, then the plate bolted to the 260 G1 just slides down into the plate bolted to the TV and you're done - it's quick release as well, as it's held in place by gravity.
My eBay SATA cable (the one designed for an Envy 17 laptop) arrived today. Will hopefully get a chance to play with it this weekend. Have also just upgraded the Windows install to Windows 10. All very painless.
My SATA cable from Aliexpress also arrived. I ordered this one (about £9-10 delivered):

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32246730289...sitedetail

It took a couple of weeks to arrive (although I think it only got sent recently.

I sent them a note requesting the shorter version (100mm I think?).

It seems to be working ok, although I've had a couple of error messages when booting/rebooting saying there's no O/S on my drive. Another reboot and it has worked every time.

I'll need to take another look at the cable to make sure it's seated ok and hasn't been damaged during the install. It may just be a bit loose.

I've reused a Sandisk SSD I had from a different device.

MediaPi - I did have a quick try with a 3.5" drive but it didn't seem to be recognised. Maybe the cable doesn't supply enough power for 3.5" drives?
Thanks decpvr, I doubt anyone would be using a 3.5 inch drive with the HP . I was just curious. Glad to know it's working for you. Hope yours work to noggin
Looks like there's plenty of choice now for the internal SATA cable, here's a link to another that I've used successfully : SATA hard disk cable for HP 260 G1
If you search for part # 6017B0421501 I think all those cables will be suitable (actually if the first part, 6017B042, matches I think it'll be OK).
Cjed! Welcome to kodi forums! I'm enterpart from hukd you provided me with the photos of your upgrades. I'm glad you decided to join the forum! Just like to say thanks, it's because of you and your photo of the original cable that the community was able to find a substitute cable and also your washers and screw's came very handy! So thanks from me Smile
I can see your already proving more useful and helpful information Smile
I also forgot to mention I bought the screws MediaPi linked to on eBay (M3 6mm?) and washers from Maplin.

Saved me a few quid and work fine, thanks!

I hope this isn't against forum rules but if anyone wants some washers (as I bought a pack of 50 and only used 8) I'll post them out for the cost of a stamp. I'm not bothered about making any money from them, it just seems like a good idea so as not to waste the rest of the pack!
Thanks for mentioning then decpvr! I'm relieved and glad they work! Again cjed is the star! I just forwarded the message. But grateful for your confirmation. And that's a very kind gesture! Smile
Have a look at this site, a chinese vendor selling the i5 version.
http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=513&t=4458867
even the i5 uses the same cable and screws
Although the celeron/pentium version seem to be end of line products, the family of products are themselves alive and well.
They even show up on HP site, and though you might think these are new products, HP have been selling this form factor for years with the name of HP EliteDesk 800 Mini

so my question is, HP must have a manufature of sata cable and the hdd screws. The reason why they don't sell them individually is because all models now released actually have the HDD version and not the M.2 Sata

but they just shed 100's of units. so I don't really understand why they won't offer a way to purchase the sata cable and screws, to be honest its the screws that I would be interested in really, has anyone actually asked HP themselves about this question. I know the screws show up on HP store but your not able to purchase them but I bet if enough ask them HP might just sell them. they could still make a profit from selling them..
Smile 
Hi folks Big Grin

Will this unit take a 12.5mm deep 2.5" hard drive? I've a spare 1tb Samsung HM100UI that I'd like to use for storage when my unit arrives on Monday.
(2015-08-08, 13:36)Cobble123 Wrote: Hi folks Big Grin

Will this unit take a 12.5mm deep 2.5" hard drive? I've a spare 1tb Samsung HM100UI that I'd like to use for storage when my unit arrives on Monday.

Have you ordered the proprietary SATA cable you will need?
(2015-08-08, 13:41)noggin Wrote:
(2015-08-08, 13:36)Cobble123 Wrote: Hi folks Big Grin

Have you ordered the proprietary SATA cable you will need?

Aye I have. Just waiting for it to come from China.
With regard to the screws, if you're fitting a SSD you probably don't need them, the HDD bracket has a clip which gently holds the drive in place, I was going to cull some screws and washers from my work parts but realised I didn't need to and just applied some insulating tape to ensure the drive stayed locked in place.
Its a Heath Robinson solution but works just fine, I wouldn't recommend this for a mechanical drive but for an SSD with no moving parts should suffice.
  • 50(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]2