• 69(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
Ok judging by this thread on Reddit Netflix on the Mi is not going to give us 5.1 sound. Too bad. Sad

Maybe wrxtasy can add this to his review?

EDIT: I now connected the Mi to my receiver and Dolby 5.1 is working,
(2017-01-28, 18:55)crestorrep Wrote:
(2017-01-27, 20:40)stukintx Wrote: Trying to add a 64gb thumb drive but the unit will not format it for internal storage. The unit will see the thumb drive and add it as external storage.

Is there a problem with adding internal storage to this?

I just plugged in a thumb drive to check, couldn't add. I have one setup as internal storage but did it when I did a factory reset on my Mi Box. I believe you have to do this at initial setup. Go to storage and reset and do a factory reset with thumb drive in.

Be warned about something though, and I'm no expert, so someone may be able to tell you how to get around problem I had.

I had a thumb drive set up as internal storage, but after the reset, the 1st 2 Apps I installed were Kodi and SPMC. The system installed Kodi on the Mi's internal memory and SPMC on the thumb drive. The thumb drive is slower and I didn't want that so I actually removed mine and did another factory reset and installed my most important Apps on the Mi Box internal memory because I want them running fast.

Thanks for the info. Tried the reset with the thumb drive but it still would not format for internal storage. Took the thumb drive out and put it back in and tried again but got the msg it couldn't format the thumb drive but when I looked at the drive it had all the directories on it so I checked it again and saw a menu item to migrate data to the thumb drive. Tried that but the only thing I had installed was Kodi and it didn't migrate. Will see about installing another app and check if it installs on the thumb drive. Thanks again.
(2017-01-31, 09:00)wrxtasy Wrote: You have to change the Refresh Rate manually in Android settings at the moment for ultra smooth video playback of 23.976fps (movies content).

Where is this setting?
(2017-01-31, 15:47)Kewbase Wrote: Ok judging by this thread on Reddit Netflix on the Mi is not going to give us 5.1 sound. Too bad. Sad

The Reddit Newbs don't have a clue and are full of sh1t Confused

With the Mi Box bitstreaming over HDMI I get 5.1/7.1 DD+ from Netflix and Kodi Krypton RC to my DD+ capable TV. This looks to be the same Netflix Audio behavior as seen on the nVIDIA Shield. You need a DD+ Audio receiver (sink)

I don't have an AVR for further tests but....

@wesk05, who has professional Audio Lab test equiptment gets...the full Monty of Audio passthrough options from the Mi Box...due to the fact the new Firmware has implemented backported Android Nougat Audio code to support the Google IEC Audio standard.

(2017-01-13, 07:02)wesk05 Wrote:
(2017-01-13, 05:39)wrxtasy Wrote: Did you happen to test HD Audio bitstreaming last time as well ?
HD audio passthrough didn't work with the previous firmware. With the new firmware Dolby Atmos/TrueHD, DTS:X/HD-Master Audio passthrough works. (tested on Kodi Krypton RC3 and Leia test build)

(2017-01-31, 18:20)wrxtasy Wrote: The Reddit Newbs don't have a clue and are full of sh1t Confused

With the Mi Box bitstreaming over HDMI I get 5.1/7.1 DD+ from Netflix and Kodi Krypton RC to my DD+ capable TV. I don't have an AVR for further tests but....
Yes, I have seen lot of misinformation on Reddit. That said, I haven't updated to the "Sling" firmware. HD audio passthrough was working properly with the previous firmware.

BTW, Netflix is only 5.1. There used to be 1 or 2 movies with 7.1 audio long time back. I haven't come across any recently.
(2017-01-31, 18:20)wrxtasy Wrote: The Reddit Newbs don't have a clue and are full of sh1t Confused

With the Mi Box bitstreaming over HDMI I get 5.1/7.1 DD+ from Netflix and Kodi Krypton RC to my DD+ capable TV. This looks to be the same Netflix Audio behavior as seen on the nVIDIA Shield. You need a DD+ Audio receiver (sink)

Could be. I have a WeTek Hub as well running Android TV firmware, This device gives me 5.1 Netflix on the same TV and receiver. Huh
(2017-01-31, 20:07)Kewbase Wrote:

Could be. I have a WeTek Hub as well running Android TV firmware, This device gives me 5.1 Netflix on the same TV and receiver. Huh
And that would be using an unreliable specially modded version of the Android TV OS Netflix App if it is used on Lollipop Firmware. It really need Marshmallow Firmware for App reliability.
A Netflix App that needs to be modded again with every version update. It not a regular version that millions of other Android TV OS users would be downloading from the Play Store.

What you could experiment with is using that Netflix - modded App on the Mi Box and see if it works.

(2017-01-31, 15:47)Kewbase Wrote: Ok judging by this thread on Reddit Netflix on the Mi is not going to give us 5.1 sound. Too bad. Sad

You mean through optical out? Because I get Dolby Digital + through HDMI when using Netflix.
Be aware you cannot transport Netflix DD+ (or HD Audio) over SPDIF/Optical or Coaxial, there simply is not the required bandwidth available to transport the data.

Dolby themselves even state HDMI connections only:

What type of connector is required to transport Dolby Digital Plus content ?

5.1 DD Netflix may be possible if you connect them Mi Box to a DD+ capable TV and then feed the extracted 5.1 DD stream over Optical from the TV to a Legacy AVR / Soundbar.

Hi guys,

I have a weird and very annoying WIFI issue with my MI box. It works perfectly in all all apps but Kodi Krypton RC4 (in other apps downloads at 50Mb normally, which is my max connection measured in Ookla Speedtest.).
In Kodi it keeps losing connection and ping is awful, which results in a lot of fail plugin downloads, subtitles take forever to download (and multiple tries etc.). In SPMC from what I see, I don't have the same issue.
What's even weirder, streaming from my Synology Nas (in Kodi) works perfectly, so it just seems to be Internet connection issue (local WIFI works fine). Btw I have Netgear R7000, so it's not some crappy router.

Please let me know if anyone experienced same issues, or if there are any hidden network options in Kodi I can tweak (I only see proxy options in the main menu).
(2017-02-01, 02:37)wrxtasy Wrote: What you could experiment with is using that Netflix - modded App on the Mi Box and see if it works.

Thanks for the tip. I tried that. The Netflix app in the WeTek Hub Android TV firmware is a system app. Could be it's not modded at all. I backed up the app and tried to install it on the Mi box. Netflix doesn't open and I get the error message "Netflix has stopped".

BTW When I backed up the app I also get a system tag file. Not sure what to do with that.
(2017-02-01, 04:50)apgood Wrote: You mean through optical out? Because I get Dolby Digital + through HDMI when using Netflix.

No I'm using HDMI. Weird thing is that the 5.1 sound option doesn't even show up in the audio options. I does in the Netflix app on the WeTek Hub.
(2017-02-01, 11:43)Kewbase Wrote:
(2017-02-01, 04:50)apgood Wrote: You mean through optical out? Because I get Dolby Digital + through HDMI when using Netflix.

No I'm using HDMI. Weird thing is that the 5.1 sound option doesn't even show up in the audio options. I does in the Netflix app on the WeTek Hub.
Never changed any sound options in Netflix, but in the Android TV settings I set it to HDMI and passthrough from memory.
(2017-02-01, 11:43)Kewbase Wrote:

You cannot compare the two platforms. Ricardo's Android TV OS Hub ROM has custom Audio configurations, both within the WeOS release itself and Audio mods with the included Android TV OS Netflix App used. Its as custom as you can get.

(2017-02-01, 12:50)wrxtasy Wrote: You cannot compare the two platforms. Ricardo's Android TV OS Hub ROM has custom Audio configurations, both within the WeOS release itself and Audio mods with the included Android TV OS Netflix App used. Its as custom as you can get.

I understand. Well at least the Mi plays 4K Netflix flawless unlike the WeTek Hub. Didn't expect that 5.1 sound was gonna be a problem. So it's one step forward and half a step back.

I''ll see if I can get the Nvidia Shield from a friend to check if this device does 4K and 5.1.

EDIT: The Shield gave the same result No Dolby 5.1. I changed my setup and connected the Mi box to my receiver over HDMI an guess what....... working SmileSmile
  • 69(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21